News   Apr 25, 2024
 121     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

^ My sense is that the person isn't a railfan/transit fan and honestly may not understand the difference, rather than being a strong Ford supporter.

Must a Ford Nation groupie. It's not a streetcar, but a light-rail vehicle.
somebody please give this guy a laymans explanation on the differences (with emphasis on visual diffs) before he spreads a false message to the masses

somebody please give this guy a laymans explanation on the differences (with emphasis on visual diffs) before he spreads a false message to the masses

Honestly, at this point it doesn't matter. The thing is gonna get built, and once people see them coupled together, running through a tunnel, they will understand the difference.

Sometimes its best to let dumb people speak to allow people to see them as the fools they are once the truth comes to light.

Honestly, at this point it doesn't matter. The thing is gonna get built, and once people see them coupled together, running through a tunnel, they will understand the difference.

Sometimes its best to let dumb people speak to allow people to see them as the fools they are once the truth comes to light.
What if the people see the line running at-grade? I mean there isn't signal priority.

^Not having precise technical details (that no one would expect the average person to know) at one’s fingertips should not cause anyone to be labelled “dumb”.

Sometimes it’s the people who drone on about the minute technical details of, say, bidirectional operation, seating capacity, track gauge, or electrical supply voltage that come across as “dumb”.... or annoyingly dorky. No pickup lines in any of that :)

- Paul

There were photos circulating on the Interweb of a Crosstown LRV that was released from Thunder Bay a few days ago. It arrived at the MSF by rail last night. That's the first rail delivery that I have heard of to the MSF.... previously cars were delivered by flatbed. There may have been previous rail shipments that weren't reported. I expect there will be more, as Thunder Bay completes work on the cars that were sent up there for finishing.

- Paul

^ we need to recruit some residents from these two apartment buildings to join UT to get pictures of the unloadings.

20200724_131008.jpg

There were photos circulating on the Interweb of a Crosstown LRV that was released from Thunder Bay a few days ago. It arrived at the MSF by rail last night. That's the first rail delivery that I have heard of to the MSF.... previously cars were delivered by flatbed. There may have been previous rail shipments that weren't reported. I expect there will be more, as Thunder Bay completes work on the cars that were sent up there for finishing.

- Paul
The part about the flatbeds is a bit surprising to me, seeing the ION vehicles shipped in by rail along the Waterloo Spur made me assume that's how it would be done for all the LRVs, not just the ION.

The part about the flatbeds is a bit surprising to me, seeing the ION vehicles shipped in by rail along the Waterloo Spur made me assume that's how it would be done for all the LRVs, not just the ION.
It was only late 2019 or 2020 early that the spur was built off CP tracks. Up to that time, CP tracks where shifted to allow the building of the complex as well rebuilding the Eglinton Bridge

^Flatbed made sense when the cars were coming direct from Kingston to the EMF - the multiple switching and interchange charges for rail delivery would have been huge. Straight haul cost from Thunder Bay would be much more on flatbed than rail.
Still, I wonder about the economics of doing the finishing installs at Thunder Bay - who eats the cost of moving the cars out and then back again ?

- Paul

^Flatbed made sense when the cars were coming direct from Kingston to the EMF - the multiple switching and interchange charges for rail delivery would have been huge. Straight haul cost from Thunder Bay would be much more on flatbed than rail.
Still, I wonder about the economics of doing the finishing installs at Thunder Bay - who eats the cost of moving the cars out and then back again ?

- Paul
BBD is eating the shipping cost. Its the same for TTC cars that get shipped from QC to Kingston and then to TTC. One way or another, Kingston cars will be interchange with CP in Thunder Bay unless CN can service BBD plant there.

With this new spur, is CN allow to drop or pickup cars on its way to/from Lambton yard??? If not, then CP will pickup the cars in TB and drop them off from local service from Lambton.

^ There's already a GO Weston Sub/CP MacTier Sub connection track that facilitates CN/CP transfers. It's just north of the West Toronto Grade separation. I think the CN train number that does the transfer is L595?

^ There's already a GO Weston Sub/CP MacTier Sub connection track that facilitates CN/CP transfers. It's just north of the West Toronto Grade separation. I think the CN train number that does the transfer is L595?
The cut off for the Weston Sub/CP MacTier Sub connection is south of Rogers Rd and north of St Clair. I don't know if CN is allow to service the MEF and what track setup looks like to do it.

Back