News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

What I meant by "see" was when do we expect to "see" the first ones at the Mount Dennis yard, I am aware they are operating on ION.
Where would they put it? I don't think the yard is ready yet.

The original plan was they'd first arrive at the Conlins Road yard, which was to include some of the Sheppard East track, so they had something early to run back and forth on. But the province has twice suspended the tendering process for it. For all the drama of the Metrolinx suit against Bombardier - the truth is that Metrolinx has at least one pilot vehicle ready to deliver, and no where to send it.

We have seen the pilot vehicle already. There are photos of the first two pilot vehicles further up the thread, dating back to the unveiling the year before last. I've no idea if they are still fully assembled and operational with all the Metrolinx fuss, or if they have been sacrificed for parts for the almost identical Waterloo vehicles. Essentially they are grey, where the Waterloo ones are blue. And the Edmonton vehicles are also blue, based on photographs of the cab assembly of the first vehicle in Austria last spring - whether the same shade or not, I'm not entirely sure - looks a little darker to me.

Eglinton Line 5 Flexity Pilot Vehicle
eglinton-cross-lrt-bombardier.jpg

Waterloo ION Flexity Vehicle
upload_2018-1-3_0-43-50.png

Edmonton Valley Line Flexity Vehicle
photo-jpg1.jpg

Finch West Line 6 Citadis Vehicle
(I doubt the colours will stick)
lrv.jpg

Vancouver Olympic Line Flexity Vehicle
vanolympicline.jpg

TTC Flexity Outlook
upload_2018-1-3_0-57-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_0-43-50.png
    upload_2018-1-3_0-43-50.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 615
  • upload_2018-1-3_0-57-32.png
    upload_2018-1-3_0-57-32.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 473
When do we expect to see the first Eglinton vehicles?
When do we expect to see actual track on the surface section of Eglinton and not just cones? If it takes as long as it has to commission the ION line and the Line extension, they had better have substantial construction completion done by end 2020.that is now less than 36 months. As we all agree, specific hard deadlines on completion are not a Metrolinx strength.

I just re-read two of the 2016 was underground station construction details presentations. For the most part, the heavy construction work was scheduled at that time to be complete at the end of 2019.

Look at the May 2016 Gannt chart for Keelesdale.

D44A121D-3FAC-4C96-AC23-6E5373E606CA.jpeg

Attachments

• D44A121D-3FAC-4C96-AC23-6E5373E606CA.jpeg
    D44A121D-3FAC-4C96-AC23-6E5373E606CA.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
What I meant by "see" was when do we expect to "see" the first ones at the Mount Dennis yard, I am aware they are operating on ION.
I just re-read a presentation on the Mount Dennis Station and the maintenance facility. Have a look at the last line of the slide attached. It appears to show vehicle delivery in Q4 of this year. Holy cow, folks, we are in 2018.

26D06B13-59FA-49CC-A53A-3BE244BFEF50.jpeg

Attachments

• 26D06B13-59FA-49CC-A53A-3BE244BFEF50.jpeg
    26D06B13-59FA-49CC-A53A-3BE244BFEF50.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Different topic, in terms of actual completed vehicles, here's the score (correct me if I'm wrong)
TTC: 57/204 (Ordered 2009)

TTC: 61/204.

The 61st vehicle is in transit with the 60th being unloaded yesterday.

ION: 3/17 (Ordered 2013)

ION: 4/14

The 4th vehicle has been sitting in Waterloo for about almost a week waiting for Grandlinq to unload it. There's another 6+ vehicles in Kingston being tested extensively at the request of the region before delivery. The remainder of the order is in final assembly.

I've no idea if they are still fully assembled and operational with all the Metrolinx fuss, or if they have been sacrificed for parts for the almost identical Waterloo vehicles.

They are still fully assembled and operational. They are being rotated through the testing and tweaking they are doing with the ION vehicles in Kingston.

They are still fully assembled and operational. They are being rotated through the testing and tweaking they are doing with the ION vehicles in Kingston.
With the Waterloo cars almost finished, and the first Eglinton cars not due until late 2018, presumably they are focusing on getting the 10 cars for Edmonton ready for 2018 delivery (with the remaining 16 to follow in 2019 and 2020). And then the remaining 76-car order for Metrolinx with deliveries into 2021.

All sounds relatively doable

With the Waterloo cars almost finished, and the first Eglinton cars not due until late 2018, presumably they are focusing on getting the 10 cars for Edmonton ready for 2018 delivery (with the remaining 16 to follow in 2019 and 2020). And then the remaining 76-car order for Metrolinx with deliveries into 2021.

All sounds relatively doable

I believe they already started the roof assembly (which is actually the first step) on the Edmonton order a month or so ago. Edmonton's will take a little longer to build because they're 7 modules but it's not much of an issue. The plan is for 10 Edmonton LRVs before July so after that they'll probably slot in Edmonton vehicles wherever they can during the Crosstown production run. The baseline service plan for ION also has the Region of Waterloo purchasing at least 2 additional vehicles for scheduled 2021/22 service increases.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to add a section to a Flexity after the fact? Ottawa's stations were all designed with a provision to extend the trains from a 2-car, 98 m train (4 modules per car) to a 2-car 116m train (5 modules per car). The plan is to insert another module when capacity demands it. On the crosstown, the plan is to just add a whole other vehicle, but you end up with a lot of wasted space with 4 cabs and 3 couplers in the middle.

I just re-read a presentation on the Mount Dennis Station and the maintenance facility. Have a look at the last line of the slide attached. It appears to show vehicle delivery in Q4 of this year. Holy cow, folks, we are in 2018.

I slide by there regularly on the GO, and yes the facility is clearly taking shape. It's hard to gauge just how close to readiness it may be - so many things have to go on in the shop buildings before they can be occupied, and track is not ready until the electrical supply can be turned on. I wonder if ML will need to accept the whole facility before they can store vehicles there. But it has gone from "one day" to "before long" before our eyes.

Pretty impressive to think that by year end this city will have two LRT bases that were built in the last decade.

- Paul

Out of curiosity, is it possible to add a section to a Flexity after the fact? Ottawa's stations were all designed with a provision to extend the trains from a 2-car, 98 m train (4 modules per car) to a 2-car 116m train (5 modules per car). The plan is to insert another module when capacity demands it. On the crosstown, the plan is to just add a whole other vehicle, but you end up with a lot of wasted space with 4 cabs and 3 couplers in the middle.

It wouldn't be a single module that would be added, but yes, the Flexities could have a pair of modules added should the need arise.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They're expecting 14 Bombardier Freedom vehicles for Waterloo's ION. There was an option for an additional 16.

Likely, once Bombardier finishes off with this initial Freedom order, they'll go full throttle to build the outstanding Bombardier Outlooks for Toronto's legacy network. They maybe able to work on the Freedom order for Eglinton at the same time, but they would need to catch up on the Outlook order first.

They're expecting 14 Bombardier Freedom vehicles for Waterloo's ION. There was an option for an additional 16.

Likely, once Bombardier finishes off with this initial Freedom order, they'll go full throttle to build the outstanding Bombardier Outlooks for Toronto's legacy network. They maybe able to work on the Freedom order for Eglinton at the same time, but they would need to catch up on the Outlook order first.

There will be no Flexity Outlooks manufactured out of Kingston. The entire purpose of moving the Flexity Freedom production from Thunder Bay to Kingston was to start a second Outlook line in TB while having a plant dedicated to Freedoms. There is absolutely no room in Kingston's production schedule for 2 re-tooling shutdowns (1 to produce Outlooks, the other to return to Freedoms) when 10 7-module Freedoms need to be in Edmonton by July and the first 5-module single cab Crosstown vehicles need to be shipped by the end of December.

I believe they already started the roof assembly (which is actually the first step) on the Edmonton order a month or so ago.
Ah, interesting info. Though the Edmonton Journal reported that they'd started Edmonton roof assembly in Kingston last July. Hopefully they've advanced.

Different assembly lines. The TTC cars are coming out of Thunder Bay. The initial plan was to have one assembly line there that could churn out 39 cars a year (and I'd assume another churning out Freedoms). Now there are two assembly lines in Thunder Bay, that they hope to churn out 76 a year. Though they are making progress given they shipped 16 last quarter (and would have been 18 if not for their parts problem). That can do 64 a year now, and should be able to finish the TTC deliveries by November 2019 if they can ramp up a bit more.

More likely then that Thunder bay would have started churning out Outlooks then - though perhaps not necessary now with the Metrolinx order reduced from 182 (or so) to 76.

Ah, jordanm has answered some of this.

There is absolutely no room in Kingston's production schedule for 2 re-tooling shutdowns (1 to produce Outlooks, the other to return to Freedoms) when 10 7-module Freedoms need to be in Edmonton by July and the first 5-module single cab Crosstown vehicles need to be shipped by the end of December.
Oh, Eglinton is single cab. I can't keep track. So what is to come of these 5-car double-cab ones for Metrolinx?

Oh, Eglinton is single cab. I can't keep track. So what is to come of these 5-car double-cab ones for Metrolinx?
Likely cancelled. Likely to refit and sell the dual-cab pilot to Waterloo for cheap. Especially since Metrolinx basically did nothing with it, including acknowledging its existence.

Back