News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Oh, Eglinton is single cab. I can't keep track. So what is to come of these 5-car double-cab ones for Metrolinx?

Eglinton Freedom light rail vehicles will have double cabs. Cannot be used on the legacy streetcar network, because their bodies will be wider and will use standard track gauge, not the TTC track gauge. No loops on Eglinton, will crossover like the subway trains. Could operate as single car train or multiple car trains, depending upon demand.

Eglinton Freedom light rail vehicles will have double cabs. Cannot be used on the legacy streetcar network, because their bodies will be wider and will use standard track gauge, not the TTC track gauge.
No as has already been established Metrolinx ordered the Eglinton Freedoms with single cabs as they'll almost always be paired together.

https://www.scribd.com/document/345648982/Bombardier-v-Metrolinx-Reasons-for-Decision

Paragraph [21]

The decision to move to single-cab LRVs for Eglinton was made in 2012-2013 by Metrolinx

Found the reference in paragraph 21:

upload_2018-1-3_19-48-46.png

So we have until November of 2018 to see the first Bombardier Flexity Freedom light rail vehicle being delivered to Mt. Dennis intended for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. Hopefully two.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_19-48-46.png
    upload_2018-1-3_19-48-46.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 312
So we have until November of 2018 to see the first Bombardier Flexity Freedom light rail vehicle being delivered to Mt. Dennis intended for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. Hopefully two.

MTX also has until November 2018 to ensure that they can actually be delivered to Mt. Dennis. Bombardier is already more than capable of meeting their delivery obligations.

MTX also has until November 2018 to ensure that they can actually be delivered to Mt. Dennis. Bombardier is already more than capable of meeting their delivery obligations.
Are they? They haven't manufactured any single-cap vehicles as far as I know. (though seems straight forward enough given they've had/got 24 cars for Edmonton and Waterloo already in various states of assembly - and the 1-cab version should be simpler (and cheaper - making the price increase by Metrolinx for these 76 cars even more silly).

Are they? They haven't manufactured any single-cap vehicles as far as I know. (though seems straight forward enough given they've had/got 24 cars for Edmonton and Waterloo already in various states of assembly - and the 1-cab version should be simpler (and cheaper - making the price increase by Metrolinx for these 76 cars even more silly).
I remember hearing that the second Metrolinx Pilot LRV only has one cab

Would be nice to see Citadis Vehicles on Eglinton, they seem better designed than the Freedoms IMO, do the longer segments pose any issues with the track?
From what I know, if the Citadis were to be used on Eglinton it would require some pretty substantial modification of the maintenance facility at Mount Dennis (ie: the track layout and positioning would have to be modified). I'm not sure how it would impact the rest of the line though.

With single cabs in the Freedom vehicles, that could mean only pairs can be used for trains. Two or four car trains would be preferred.

cant they just link it like they do for odd number locos on freight trains? front front back?

cant they just link it like they do for odd number locos on freight trains? front front back?

They definitely can. Other than bothering people who like symmetry, there's no real restriction on the middle cars. Afaik the crosstown doesn't have provisions for 4 car trains, the max is 3

Back