News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

I figure if we knew which candidate he thinks lost votes to the fringe (or discouraged voter turnout), we would be reassured that Holyday's motivation is as wrongheaded as we are used to.
You mean Saunders/Sanders?

Anyway, if there's any way to *discourage* voting, it's to insist upon ranked ballots for a 102-candidate situation.

The Fixer in the Star has another example of poor construction management today https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/th...rsection-safer-instead-its-made-it-worse.html

‘It seems very disrespectful to the neighbourhood’: The city was supposed to make this intersection safer. Instead, it’s made it worse​

The city says work on the project at Lawrence Avenue and Kingston Road resumed on June 27 but there’s no sign of activity at the job site.​

Could it be a coincidence if, as indicated by the name on the barrels, the contractor is, once again, Sanscon. (Infamous for Military Trail Road, KQR and Wellington?)) (Photo from Star!)

sanscon.jpg

The Fixer in the Star has another example of poor construction management today https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/th...rsection-safer-instead-its-made-it-worse.html

‘It seems very disrespectful to the neighbourhood’: The city was supposed to make this intersection safer. Instead, it’s made it worse​

The city says work on the project at Lawrence Avenue and Kingston Road resumed on June 27 but there’s no sign of activity at the job site.​

Could it be a coincidence if, as indicated by the name on the barrels, the contractor is, once again, Sanscon. (Infamous for Military Trail Road, KQR and Wellington?)) (Photo from Star!)

View attachment 493234

Sans - Con; really two words, one abbreviated and in French - translated as 'without construction'.

Because Sanscon seems to have two work-rates; none and badly.

Sans - Con; really two words, one abbreviated and in French - translated as 'without construction'.

Because Sanscon seems to have two work-rates; none and badly.

This reminds me of the time the city hired Bevcon to do work at Warden Station (Bus entryway). They kept the pilons up for months without any actual work being done.

Whenever I passed by there during the construction there would be one guy standing by his truck drinking coffee smoking. For months all they did was move the pylons back and forth to make it look like they were doing work when they were not.

So, the only committee appointments thus far are for the striking committee (who will recommend the other appointments).

The item as amended, carried:

1689783032426.png

So the committee is

Malik, Bravo, Mc Kelvie, Perks, and Carroll

Last edited:
So, the only committee appointments thus far and for the striking committee (who will recommend the other appointments).

The item as amended, carried:

View attachment 493265

So the committee is

Malik, Bravo, Mc Kelvie, Perks, and Carroll

Ausma Malik was a staunch ONDP staffer for years.

It makes sense that she is given a position of relative power

Anyway, if there's any way to *discourage* voting, it's to insist upon ranked ballots for a 102-candidate situation.

Ranked ballots do not necessarily require that you rank every single candidate. And the idea that the city of Toronto might do so reminds me of the Saki story "Hermann the Irascible" where they "cleverly" punish suffragists by granting women the vote but also making their (only women's, not men's) votes mandatory for all elections and offices. That showed them!

I have been slightly following the council meeting today. Lots of discussion of the drinking in parks pilot. Councillor Pasternak (not Peruzza) wanted to know if enforcement officers would have breathalyzers.

Last edited:
One in five residents strikes me as a high estimate.

The top of the document said Section 226.6, which I thought was a section of the new powers.
It does seem to be in the Strong Mayor amendments but Mayors of Toronto have certainly been able to appoint Committee chairs (who form the Executive Committee) and vice-chairs for many years. See; S 162 of https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06c11/v62#BK176 IThe wording in the Strong Mayor law simply restates former powers.

This is now:

Powers re committees​

226.6 Subject to the regulations, if any, the following powers of the City with respect to prescribed committees, or committees within a prescribed class of committees, are assigned to the head of council:

1. The power to establish or dissolve committees.

2. The power to appoint the chairs and vice-chairs of committees.

3. The power to assign functions to committees

Back