News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 795     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

They are:

Except as set forth in the Notice to Members Regarding Non-Struck Work, all covered services and performing work under the TV/ theatrical contracts must be withheld, including but not limited to:

Principal on camera work, such as:
○ Acting
○ Singing
○ Dancing
○ Performing stunts
○ Piloting on-camera aircraft
○ Puppeteering
○ Performance capture or motion capture work;

ADVERTISEMENT

Principal off camera work, such as:
○ ADR/Looping
○ TV Trailers (promos) and Theatrical Trailers
○ Voice Acting
○ Singing
○ Narration, including audio descriptive services except as the services may be covered by another collective bargaining agreement referred in the Notice to
Members Regarding Non-Struck Work
○ Stunt coordinating and related services

Background work
● Stand-in work
● Photo and/or body doubles
● Fittings, wardrobe tests, and makeup tests
● Rehearsals and camera tests
● Scanning
● Interviews and auditions (including via self-tape)

Promotion of/publicity services for work under the TV/Theatrical Contracts, such as:
○ Tours
○ Personal appearances
○ Interviews
○ Conventions
○ Fan expos
○ Festivals
○ For your consideration events
○ Panels
○ Premieres/screenings
○ Award shows
○ Junkets
○ Podcast appearances
○ Social media
○ Studio showcases

ADVERTISEMENT

Negotiating and/or entering into and/or consenting to:
○ An agreement to perform covered services in the future
○ Any new agreement related to merchandising connected to a covered project
○ The creation and use of digital replicas, including through the reuse of prior work

Performing on a trailer for a struck production or other ancillary content connected to a struck production

AoD

That sucks.

Like I said, I can see TIFF being canceled. CP24 this morning actually questioned about how viable TIFF would be when only non-union staff can attend. It would mean a limited media presence and very few premieres.

Realistically you cannot hand out awards without the recipients present and studios may hold off on premiering their films until the actors and actresses can be there to promote them.

I am not in the loop, but no doubt there is a serious discussion behind the scenes right now as to if the festival will go ahead.

I think signing autographs at a convention would probably still be allowed. They just won't be able to promote the work they've been part of, maybe only able to sign headshots free from licensed works.

They are:

Except as set forth in the Notice to Members Regarding Non-Struck Work, all covered services and performing work under the TV/ theatrical contracts must be withheld, including but not limited to:
[…]

AoD
You're misreading that list though; that's strictly contract and studio related works.

SAG-ACTRA has softly recommended against comic cons, but it's not considered crossing the picket lines to do so self-promotionally (ie; autograph signings and photo ops):

"Crabtree-Ireland noted that union members continue to be allowed to participate in autograph signings or events that are "not related to specific companies or projects" produced under the AMPTP TV/Theatrical Contracts. While actors can attend Comic-Con as long as they do so without publicity — meaning they don't take part in panels or interviews promoting films or TV shows — it was reported before Thursday's strike vote that SAG-AFTRA leadership prefers its members skip the confab altogether. "

As I said, this is a big source of income for many struggling actors, and as long as it's not studio promotion it's basically considered a side-gig. So, while the union would prefer actors don't do stuff like this (there's still some tacit promotion in having X-star of Y-hot-show signing autographs), personal appearances are about the person and not the works.

So if Margot Robbie wants to appear at a mall opening, it's cool as long as there's no Barbie-(or any other property)-related tie in.

That sucks.

Like I said, I can see TIFF being canceled. CP24 this morning actually questioned about how viable TIFF would be when only non-union staff can attend. It would mean a limited media presence and very few premieres.
There's very little non-union work done in Hollywood in general these days, certainly almost nil that hits the big screen.

Hell, maybe Hallmark movies might make a showing at the Lightbox. ;)

Interesting. Not familiar with that idiom. I have always heard/used “spill the beans”.

ETA: Being the language geek that I am, I googled. Interesting etymology. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spill the tea

As a tea drinker and non-bean eater, I may use this going forward. 😃
My limited experience with this in the GTA is how "spilled tea" is heavily adopted by the crowd of almost all young women that follow and obsess over celebrities, and in particular Toronto's pro-athletes.

I think the first place I came across this years ago was on Tumblr, but now most of it has migrated to Instagram where they shadow stalk the Bo Bichette and Auston Matthews types by gossiping about photos that appear of them on other women's instagram/TikTok accounts, and then spend hours arguing about who the players are dating at the moment, or who they have hooked up with, and also what bars and clubs they may hang out at on their off days.

This all sounds absurd, but that Leafs/Jays spilled tea community seems to have a few thousand members of 16-30 year-olds and it will not surprise you with the above that many of these players are hooking up with local Instagram/TikTok Influencers which is how it all starts.
EDIT: There is probably a Raptors and TFC version too.

Last edited:
The hook ups don’t surprise me, that has been going on forever … just the platform for arranging them has changed. And given your explanation, it is clear why I haven’t heard/seen the expression until today. 🤣

There’s that, and there was posing with Tory and Thompson at Taste of Lawrence.

PS: can someone explain the tea pouring gif? I don’t get it.

I was there with my family and then my wife says "Isn't that John Tory?" Sure enough, he was there talking to people.

One thing I found quite sad is that Chow was being blamed for whatever bad things happened two weeks before she even took office .

My limited experience with this in the GTA is how "spilled tea" is heavily adopted by the crowd of almost all young women that follow and obsess over celebrities
If we can get people to stop saying “absolutely” when they mean “yes”, I’ll rest in peace.

If we can get people to stop saying “absolutely” when they mean “yes”, I’ll rest in peace.

Isn't that sort of like DoFo's yen t/w being super-super-duper emphatic: "110%" and other such purple embellishments...

Back