News   Apr 19, 2024
 376     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 698     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 744     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Tory showed up early for a press conference and when it started to rain, he kept on answering questions. This is refreshing.

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 28s29 seconds ago
Despite rain, Tory ignoring calls for last question. He keeps taking the questions.

Feels more civil already.

Not to stick it to Mike Layton (b/c really isn't Mikey Ford the most ridiculous example of all) - but I would like to see an end to the hereditary entitlement going on at all levels of Canadian politics. If we truly are a meritocracy then being the son of, wife of, brother of...should not be happening so often. Its happening across the political right-left spectrum.

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 51s51 seconds ago
Tory says he will reach out to Doug Ford to see if he would like a role to help the city. #TOpoli

I get the impression that Doug isn't humble enough to accept working for Tory.

Here are some precognitions...Let's look back in a month and see how close I came
Deputy Mayor...Norm Kelly
Speaker...Jon Filion
Deputy Speaker...Gord Perks
Budget Chief...Paul Ainslie
Audit Chief/Affordable Housing Chair/Employee Relations...Rob Ford (got to keep him busy)
TTC Chair...Josh Colle
TPSB....John Burnside, Michelle Berardinetti, John Tory
Public Works... DWM
Government Mgmt... Josh Matlow
Licencing and Standards... Jaye Robinson
Parks and Enviroment... MMM
Economic Deveplopment... Michael Thompson (he is going to have his choice of chairs)
Planning and Growth... Mary Fragedakis
Community Development... Janet Davis
Civic Appointments...Shelley Carroll
Striking Committee...Gary Crawford
At Large Exec Members...Mark Grimes, Sarah Doucette, Kristin Wong-Tam, James Pasternak

Lots of good choices, however DMW should be put as far away as possible from Public Works & Infrastructure. Unfortunately both him and Tory share similar narrow minded views about putting the car above all else.

Not sure Tory is specifically reaching out to Soknacki and Chow to be part of the mayor's office. Soknacki I could possibly see in that role, Chow not so much.

Soknacki always seemed to me to be running to be City Manager, not mayor, which is one reason I never supported him despite some solid policy ideas. Mayor requires a political skillset that I just don't think Soknacki has. However, with Joe P. retiring, isn't City Manager open, and wouldn't Tory have a say on the successor?

For Chow, how about CEO of the TCHC? Gene Jones has only been replaced on an interim basis while they look for a new permanent CEO. It is a position where she could do a lot of good, that fits with the issues she campaigned on, and would give her sufficient autonomy someone of her experience & profile deserves.

ETA - Neither position would be a bad consolation prize at all - significant positions with significant authority and profiles attached to them, and let's not forget, they come with much higher salaries than the position of Mayor.

Last edited:
Not to stick it to Mike Layton (b/c really isn't Mikey Ford the most ridiculous example of all) - but I would like to see an end to the hereditary entitlement going on at all levels of Canadian politics. If we truly are a meritocracy then being the son of, wife of, brother of...should not be happening so often. Its happening across the political right-left spectrum.

As a Ward 19 resident, I can tell you that Mike Layton works hard for his constituents. Sure, name recognition has a lot to do with him winning -- last term because he was Jack's kid, this time because he was the incumbent. He had no real opposition because he did a good job. He didn't rest on his laurels though, he campaigned hard.

Soknacki is already on Tory's transition advisory council, so that's a nice gesture.

As a Ward 19 resident, I can tell you that Mike Layton works hard for his constituents. Sure, name recognition has a lot to do with him winning -- last term because he was Jack's kid, this time because he was the incumbent. He had no real opposition because he did a good job. He didn't rest on his laurels though, he campaigned hard.

Was it his campaign you worked on? I'm just remembering your saying yesterday that you spent five hours getting out the vote. You should note that when you make statements of support like this. :p

Nah, I'm just joshin'....I was just curious.

Being inclusive is a mark of leadership. Ford had many marks of leadership himself--notable his charisma--but the fact that he seemed to exclude the needs of downtown in his plans and tried to ignore communities like LGBT detracted from his leadership.

Back