News   Mar 28, 2024
 262     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 284     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Maybe use one of the MANY names that were in existance EAST of Ossington?

Arther Street (may have a fight with the one in Weston), St Patrick Street (another fight), Anderson Street (fight, fight), Agnes Street (no fight within Toronto), Wilton Street (another fight), and so on.

See https://www.blogto.com/city/2012/09/a_brief_history_of_what_is_now_known_as_dundas_street/

20120929-Dundas-Map-oss-uni.jpg

20120929-Dundas-Map-uni-broadview.jpg

20120929-Dundas-Map-broad-wood.jpg

If we go with "St. Patrick Avenue" since "St. Patrick Street" exists, there would be no need to change "St. Patrick Station". We may have to change "Dundas Station" to "St. Patrick East" Station, and "Dundas West Station" to "St. Patrick West Station".

I can't say I find the idea of re-naming Dundas to be of great import or utility.

I suspect most proper names given to streets in the City could be removed based on the flaws of that person for whom the road was named.

I also don't think most people ever gave the name a whit of thought; so it really hasn't served to venerate Mr. Dundas.

It would seem preferable to me to focus on substantive changes that make a fairer, more equitable society and which reduce the frequency of police excessive force.

That said, I also don't care much about keeping the name either.

Perhaps, Hubbard Street would be appropriate?

I can honestly say I did not know who Henry Dundas was until the name change was being requested. If the road name does change I will not shed a tear. But I always saw the name Dundas coming from "the road to Dundas" (the town) the same way Kingston Road is named as the road to the city of Kingston. Because Dundas crosses many municipal boarders and includes numerous (easts and wests) perhaps a different solution would be to finally name Yonge-Dundas square after someone, which could coincide with a renaming of the subway station after the square. Renaming of the subway station and square would have a more visual and physical impact than a street name change in my opinion.

I can honestly say I did not know who Henry Dundas was until the name change was being requested. If the road name does change I will not shed a tear. But I always saw the name Dundas coming from "the road to Dundas" (the town) the same way Kingston Road is named as the road to the city of Kingston. Because Dundas crosses many municipal boarders and includes numerous (easts and wests) perhaps a different solution would be to finally name Yonge-Dundas square after someone, which could coincide with a renaming of the subway station after the square. Renaming of the subway station and square would have a more visual and physical impact than a street name change in my opinion.

Maybe a referendum (ranked ballot please) between "Rob Ford Square" and "David Miller Square".

? :eek:

I doubt it, the mayor is looking for ways to look like he is doing something - this is about the lowest hanging fruit as he can get. Real work require real money and/or efforts against entrenched powers? Forgetaboutit.

AoD
This is what bothers me the most about it. It does absolutely nothing to address systemic racism. I hate this term, but this is such a “virtue signal”.

People hate when things get renamed (ahem, Skydome?). This is just going to become a divisive wedge more than anything and we’ll have nothing to show for it.

The easiest solution, in my opinion, is to rededicate Dundas to someone else named Dundas who was more desirable. They did this with King County, Washington. The original namesake was a slaveowner, so it was decided to rededicate the county to honour Martin Luther King Jr. honestly sounds like a win-win to me.

All the time and resources that would go into renaming Dundas would go to more fruitful endeavours.

I have updated the Dundas Street article to mention the name controversy (with the CTV News reference).

There's a controversy?

We've truly made it as a society!! Amazing. Every real problem has been solved so we're down to shit like this.

Pat on the back, everyone! We've done it! We've solved the world!

Homelessness? Done!
Poverty? Finished!
Tax evasion? Complete!
Environmental degradation? Yesterday's problem!
Shit diets and food standards? Not anymore!

I think this truly speak rather poorly of our society, if this is now a problem in need of a solution. I'm still breathing particulate matter the Soviets would be proud of because we run diesel trains like some sort of degenerates but, yeah, let's get going on the name changes!

How about renaming Yonge-Dundas Square to Hubbard Square?

It would be named after TWO Toronto well known (or should be known) personalities.

William Peyton Hubbard, politician, inventor, baker, coachman (born 27 January 1842 in Toronto, ON; died 30 April 1935 in Toronto). Hubbard was Toronto’s first Black elected official, serving as alderman (1894–1903, 1913) and controller (1898–1908), and as acting mayor periodically. A democratic reformer, he campaigned to make the city’s powerful Board of Control an elected body. Hubbard was also a leading figure in the push for public ownership of hydroelectric power, contributing to the establishment of the Toronto Hydro-Electric System. See link.

Frederick Langdon Hubbard (1878–1953) was Chairman of the Toronto Transportation Commission from 1929 to 1930. He was the first African Canadian to serve on the TTC board (first as Commissioner and later as Chairman). Born in Toronto in 1878, Hubbard was son of a high profile African Canadian and Toronto politician William Peyton Hubbard and son-in-law to the first African Canadian licensed to practice medicine in Ontario Anderson Ruffin Abbott (married to daughter Grace Isabell Hubbard). Hubbard died in 1953.
See link.

Would be appropriate to name "Dundas Station" after "Hubbard Square Station", where one of the Hubbards was a Chair for the TTC.

Maybe rename "Dundas West Station" to "Roncesvalles Station"? It is only 350m north of Roncesvalles Avenue, comparable to some existing subway stations in the sticks. (It’s 1 km from Pioneer Village Station to Pioneer Village itself, for example.)

Last edited:
Personally, I think Lakeshore Boulevard West should be renamed Piece of Shit Asphalt Detriment to The Lakefront Boulevard.

And the Gardiner can go ahead and be more appropriately named How To Ruin A City's Waterfront Expressway.

Super glad this is now a priority for us as a society. We've truly progressed! How about a new motto for Toronto: The City That Woke

glad it's summer so I can at least partially extract myself from this bollocks and go concentrate on what's really important in life.

Cheers folks...have fun with the misplaced priorities. :D <3

Last edited:
@ShonTron

Since you wrote an article about the history of Dundas Street for Spacing, how do you feel about the petition to rename Dundas Street?

I believe that given this precedence, Dundas Street can be renamed.

Oh, and many major arterial roads in major American cities have been renamed after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Could be worse... :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_things_named_after_Donald_Trump

@ShonTron

Since you wrote an article about the history of Dundas Street for Spacing, how do you feel about the petition to rename Dundas Street?

I believe that given this precedence, Dundas Street can be renamed.

Oh, and many major arterial roads in major American cities have been renamed after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

That was way before I knew about Henry Dundas' actions.

Renaming such a long and busy street would be a logistical challenge. It isn't a school, park, or statue, and it has been around (though not through central and east end Toronto) for over 200 years, with the name also occurring in other cities, including Belleville and London (in London's case, it's the other end of the same historical road).

I would start with Dundas Square. That can and should be renamed, along with a refresh of the whole area coincident with the Reimagine Yonge plans.

But given that the street passes through both the old and current Chinatowns, perhaps there's an opportunity there. Or something to do with the Ward.

I don't want a name change to be a knee-jerk reaction, but done with due thought and process, sure.

Back