News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Tory says he won't support 'arbitrary' cuts to the $1.22B police budget.

https://www.cp24.com/news/tory-says...ary-cuts-to-the-1-22b-police-budget-1.4977626

No need for arbitrary.

Big issue is that Toronto doesn't have line-item control of the Police budget.

The province doesn't allow it under the Police Services Act.

So by definition, unless the chief cooperates all cuts are arbitrary because the Chief can spend where he/she wishes.

Assuming we change that; there's lots of room for thoughtful, strategic change.

To begin, lets cut the mounted unit. Very low utility from a tactical perspective. (essentially crowd control)

That would save ~6M a year right there.

Making traffic services officers and crime prevention officers unarmed would be another easy move.

So would be cutting the budget for Stingray and other spy tech.

Ultimately, the bigger cuts will require some decriminalization (addiction/drug possession); a shift of some duties to mental health/social work personnel, and wage restraint.

But for now, its not too hard to get the first 25M off the top, providing the chief cooperates and/or there's line-item control of the budget by Council.

TORONTO -- Hundreds of people have signed an online petition asking the city to rename Dundas Street in Toronto due to its namesake's involvement in opposing the abolition of slavery in the British Empire in the 18th century.

Toronto resident Andrew Lochhead created the petition on Tuesday as a series of protests against police brutality and anti-Black racism that have been ongoing since the murder of George Floyd continued to unfold in cities around the world.

The petition states that Scottish politician Henry Dundas, whom Dundas Street is named for, has a “highly problematic” legacy which saw him participate in obstructing the abolition of slavery until the end of his career in 1806.

How far back should we go?

Rename "July" and "August" while we're at it.

"July" is named after Gaius Julius Caesar, who conquered and enslaved many lands to provide slaves for the Republic.

"August" is named after Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus (Augustus Caesar), who strengthened his uncle's conquered lands, providing more slaves for his empire.

What we should be doing is going after countries that still practice slavery.

15 Countries Where Slavery Is Still Legal

See link.

No sick days, doctor's note requirement, low minimum wages, part-time work with no benefits; that is today's "slavery" in Toronto and Ontario.

Last edited:
I would say we should sort of push back against it because there are a lot of Streets with people named after British imperialists like Kipling, Winston Churchill and so on.

I think we do a good job of confronting our history.

Sir John A Macdonald is not seen as a God-like George Washington for example.

I would say we should sort of push back against it because there are a lot of Streets with people named after British imperialists like Kipling, Winston Churchill and so on.

I think we do a good job of confronting our history.

Sir John A Macdonald is not seen as a God-like George Washington for example.

Even George Washington was a slave owner. See link.

There are like two or three dozen relevant historical figures named Dundas, find someone to rededicate the street to.

Or, considering that zero Torontonians associate Dundas street with Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville, and that Dundas Street has become an important and integral part of Toronto culture, how about we don't give a fig about this and make new Toronto-based history on Dundas Street, together, here, in this City, as Torontonians.

I'd be fine renaming Dundas Square to something new, more meaningful (along with a renewal of the public space itself along with Yonge Street revitalization). Very few associate a person to the street name, which is tied to a historical road that stretches all the way from London through Hamilton and Toronto. This is very different than taking down statues or renaming schools.

King County, Washington was named for a racist, so the county renamed itself after Martin Luther King Jr. (That's why you see an outline of his face on Seattle buses and trolleybuses.)

As well, food establishments will not be allowed to have more than 50 per cent of their rated capacity.

Is the city going to pay 50 per cent of the bills? I have worked in restaurants that ran at 50% capacity, they all went out of business! it's financially impossible to operate a restaurant at half the rated capacity in a expensive city like Toronto, even if it's only for a month or two. That's long enough to kill off most independent restaurants. Even the big chains out in the burbs that have 40 thousand to 50 thousand a month rents are going to take a big financial hit running at 50% capacity.

A couple of weeks ago, I had food delivered from Miku. It was great, and so was the bottle of saké. But Jen Agg was absolutely correct when she said in an interview that what keeps you going to a restaurant is not so much the food but mostly the atmosphere, the music, the service... and I decided that I am not really interested in spending another $150 for a restaurant meal for 2 that I have to plate myself, in my own apartment, from plastic containers. Take out works for cheap food, but not for the higher end. And a sparsely-occupied room, with plexiglas, arrows on the floor or transparent lampshades on top of our heads would kill the atmosphere that we actually want to pay for - and according to some research, all those might not be very effective to prevent transmission anyway in an enclosed space where you spend several hours. I'm very pessimistic about the restaurant business until a vaccine or a treatment is developed.

Another major challenge in the road to recovery for the restaurant industry is consumer confidence. The latest results from an Angus Reid survey suggests that an average of 52% of Canadians will avoid going out to restaurants for the foreseeable future:

Toronto offering modified summer camps, preparing to reopen pools and splashpads

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

TORONTO -- The city of Toronto is offering modified summer camps starting next month following the province's announcement that day camps will be permitted to operate during stage two of reopening.

The summer camps are part of the city's CampTO program, which replaces summer programs cancelled last month due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

---------
In addition to CampTO, the city also announced Wednesday SwimTO, a program that will speed up the opening of the city's outdoor aquatic amenities.

Tory said they are now making plans and preparing the 300 city-run outdoor aquatic amenities with the expectation that Toronto will enter stage 2 as early as June 19.

Are we doing this ?

I think we should ban Islam because Mohammed had slaves. And ban Christianity and Judaism whilst we're at it because....have you read the Old Testament? Slaves!

I'm all for it. Let's just burn it all down.

Do these woke wanks know that slavery is still thriving in the world. Such as in the Gulf states?

Let's do it, but if we're doing Dundas, we're going after religions as well....I don't want to hear any of the usual hypocritical responses to this suggestion either. ;)

Back