News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 759     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Lineups are a sign that convenience has been knocked from the top of our desired values. It's at least part of the reason why–in the age of Amazon Prime and Big Box failures—quality independent stores and small local chains are doing better than they have in a long time.
That doesn't explain 3 hour lineups at Cheescake Factory, mob scenes at the latest Asian doodad franchise, lines around the block for Halal Boys and Jolibee, people camping overnight for Raptors gear, etc., etc. Lining up for the food fad of the month is dumb enough (charcoal, anyone?) but wasting hours in line for mundane chains and stuff that will be easily available at a later date is insane.

I grew up in Toronto but I have to say - once you get out a bit, you realise how lacking it is in the 'fun factor' and you ask yourself "Why is that?"

You’re trying to make the subjective objective.

Toronto has things like the Jazz Festival, TIFF, and the one of the largest Pride events in the world. Just because they aren’t your thing doesn’t mean the city is “boring”.

Also, having been born in Montréal (and where I return several times a year), I question whether you haven’t just succumbed to the Toronto-resentment that’s so pervasive there (IMO, moreso that just about any other city on the eastern side of the country). People treat Toronto like the rest of the US treats NYC; that it’s a place just for businessmen and smalltown gawking tourists.

You’re trying to make the subjective objective.

Toronto has things like the Jazz Festival, TIFF, and the one of the largest Pride events in the world. Just because they aren’t your thing doesn’t mean the city is “boring”.

Also, having been born in Montréal (and where I return several times a year), I question whether you haven’t just succumbed to the Toronto-resentment that’s so pervasive there (IMO, moreso that just about any other city on the eastern side of the country). People treat Toronto like the rest of the US treats NYC; that it’s a place just for businessmen and smalltown gawking tourists.
My biggest concern upon moving here was that people would resent me for being from Toronto. That's a fallacy. A big urban myth. I was received with open arms. To francophones, Toronto is simply not on their radar. It's pretty much irrelevant to their dailly lives. With me, they are either curious about it or, having been to Toronto, they liked it. No francophone that I've ever met gives a flying f*ck about Toronto and none of them have ever bashed it. They hate the Leafs, that's about it. People who go on business like the restaurants..

Anglo Montrealers are a different story. Most of them have relatives eleswhere in Canada - the people who preferred to flee rather than learn a second language. Many of them have moved to a different part of Canada at some time or other and returned - for whatever reason. With them, it's complex, and you can't generalise. Many lifelong Anglo Montrealers are professional victims - not worth talking to, all they do is complain. Much like lifers in any given city. The ones who have returned are the ones who have done so out of love. They have context on their side and they're generally cool. You can trade stories.

I've come to the conclusion that I was systematically lied to over the years. Most of the people who claim to be ex-Montrealers aren't real Montrealers - they are West Islanders - self segregating suburbanites. They know about as much about Montreal as someone from Oshawa knows about Toronto.

Think of it this way: You're in Montreal and all the information you get about Toronto is from some guy from Oakville who commuted downtown and went to the occasional Jays game - 30 years ago. That's what I'd been listening to from so-called 'ex-Montrealers' - many of whom were children at the time and have been listening to their parents bitch about the 'goddam separatists' for all their lives. Like it's forever 1980.

The Toronto Jazz Festival is probably not a very good example to throw out here, considering..

And nobody anywhere but Toronto thinks of Toronto as the New York of anything. We really have to get over that idiocy, Toronto is not at all comparable to New York unless you're in the same camp as those who think that Riga is the New York of Latvia; Ho Chi Minh City the New York of Viet Nam. Then, maybe...

Last edited:
Also, because a dig begets a dig…

That’s nothing compared to the closure for the World’s Largest Construction Festival on Ste-Catherine.
Oh, you mean they're turning it into a pedestrian-friendly, limited access, Vision Zero compliant street?

Gee, I hope that never happens to Yonge Street! (Don't worry, that'll never happen -not in our lifetime)

"…the people who preferred to flee rather than learn a second language.", "Many lifelong Anglo Montrealers are professional victims - not worth talking to, all they do is complain.", ". Most of the people who claim to be ex-Montrealers aren't real Montrealers - they are West Islanders - self segregating suburbanites. They know about as much about Montreal as someone from Oshawa knows about Toronto."

Dorval, Pte-Claire, Ste-Anne were merged with Montréal, and thus many have a right to call themselves Montrealers. Pierrefonds, Roxboro, Ste-Genvieve still *are* Montrealers. Oshawa *is not* part of Toronto, nor has it ever been part of Toronto. You're being intentionally disingenuous. Rigaud is about where you should be aiming for a fair comparison to Toronto.

I've come to the conclusion that I was systematically lied to over the years.

No, you've gotten to the point where you're lying to yourself about what constitutes someone who's from Montreal.

You've got your experiences, I have mine. You sure you're not in a bubble? Because my experiences aren't just from anglo "west-islanders". It's from suburbanites and urbanites, Franco- and Anglophones alike. Not to mention extended families that lie on both sides of the language debate.

It's not a big deal, because for a short period of time in the summer when there aren't council meetings there's not much a Deputy Mayor can do anyway. Of course, I don't get why DMW is Tory's official deputy, as he's especially divisive - there are several right-leaning moderate and less provocative choices he could have gone with.

Back