News   Apr 18, 2024
 530     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

One of the shootings was just outside of a child care centre. One was outside of a fish market. One was at a Bridle Path mansion. One was a block from St. Lawrence Market. One was in Liberty Village.

Apparently, "gold toothed gangstas" congregate pretty much everywhere. Either that, or you need to drop your bias.
I live in Cabbagetown and in my 21 years here have seen my share of police taped gun crime scenes. But for the most part I am not impacted by it. By far the gangster culture is involved in these shootings, but I regret my glibness above. I suppose I’ve just become accustomed to it and just carry on with my day.

I live in Cabbagetown and in my 21 years here have seen my share of police taped gun crime scenes. But for the most part I am not impacted by it. By far the gangster culture is involved in these shootings, but I regret my glibness above. I suppose I’ve just become accustomed to it and just carry on with my day.

Sounds like you really mean the culprit is organised crime, which is still rampant in the city and crosses many racial and social boundaries.

I have to wonder why there's a specific outbreak of violence right now and if it's connected to weed legalisation. I know there's still a significant black market for weed, but I have to wonder if enough low level dealers have been forced out of that trade and had to move on to other drugs, like opioids, to a point where the incumbents are not happy about the new competition and have started these violent attacks.

I mean this is organised crime stuff for sure from today.

Something big is happening out there between rivals or something.
Wow. (Not sure if this should be discussed under John Tory or Justin Trudeau). After all, according to this, an extra 84,000 Canadians were affected by violent crime compared to what would have happened if Harper was still in power.

Last edited:
I mean this is organised crime stuff for sure from today.
Terrible marksmanship though.

IDK what the solution to this is. Perhaps ensure those already convicted of gang activities or gun crimes are not released back onto the street. But I think this generation of TCH-raised gangsters are lost. We need to focus on preventing the next generation, though sex education, empowering young women, addressing any perceived benefits of having welfare babies and absolutely stopping multi-generational residency in TCH (it’s supposed to be a parachute so that your kids have opportunity to move up, not a multi- generational lifestyle).

Terrible marksmanship though.

IDK what the solution to this is. Perhaps ensure those already convicted of gang activities or gun crimes are not released back onto the street. But I think this generation of TCH-raised gangsters are lost. We need to focus on preventing the next generation, though sex education, empowering young women, addressing any perceived benefits of having welfare babies and absolutely stopping multi-generational residency in TCH (it’s supposed to be a parachute so that your kids have opportunity to move up, not a multi- generational lifestyle).

Prevention is key, no question there.

I don't think the public housing thing is as key; most large European cities have high concentrations of public-ownership housing w/large portions of middle-class, employed, law-abiding citizens living in them.

There's an issue there in how public housing is designed, managed/operated there vs here.

But I digress.

I think addressing universal pharmacare, beginning w/universal access to contraception is an important part of tackling poverty.

I also think addressing the education gap between low-income and middle/high income students in our public school system is important. It should be said we do a better job of this than many jurisdictions around the world, but there remains ample room for improvement.

The single largest reason for the gap in studies is the long summer break, during which middle/high income students get to go to camp or on travel w/their parents, while most lower income students get to stay home and watch tv.

A combination investment that shortens the summer break by 2 weeks, and moves to ensure at least 2 weeks of learning enrichment for every kid would go some distance to addressing the residual performance gap.

That said, we can't tackle this issue w/o looking at guns.

We have the evidence from around the world that the more difficult you make it to obtain a handgun the lower the number of shootings and gun-related crimes.

Our somewhat porous southern border makes the issue more challenging; but there's no question we can make it more difficult than it is today to get a handgun.

At the minimum we must tackle the strawman issue, by capping the number of legal handguns anyone can purchase; we can also increase the tax on the gun, retail. Yes, many criminal buy their guns illegally. But street value tends to
be x times retail. So the higher we make the retail price, and the tougher to get a gun, the higher the street price goes.

An Australian comic tackled this issue noting that in the U.S. you could legally order an AR-15 for $1,000 on Amazon. Can an Australian get one, even though they are illegal there? Sure. But they have to buy it on the black market, where the price is $34,000USD which tends to cut the majority of criminals out of the market.

At the opposite end, I would not be adverse to a total ban on handguns; this is essentially what Australia did.

The single largest reason for the gap in studies is the long summer break, during which middle/high income students get to go to camp or on travel w/their parents, while most lower income students get to stay home and watch tv.
You make good points, but I can't agree with this one. In the 1970s and 80s as a teen growing up in Mississauga in a middle class, though single mother family, and my parents never took me on summer trips or camps or cottages. I was in Cubs and Scouts and then joined Army Cadets but that was on my own initiative. I also enrolled in summer school to get more credits. And of course I had summer jobs, landscaping, dishwasher in a pub, stockboy, etc. In short, I didn't need a stable family to get me out and about in the summer.

I now live downtown east and have two teenage daughters. Much to my chagrin and against my pushing them to get out and see friends, both my daughters seem to spend their summers sitting at home on their devices. But neither are at any risk of joining a criminal street gang, lol.
An Australian comic tackled this issue noting that in the U.S. you could legally order an AR-15 for $1,000 on Amazon.
You can buy an AR-15 legally in Canada and have it shipped to your house. Plenty of folks do. Any semi-automatic rifle can be bought once you have your firearms permit.

Here's a gun shop in Alberta selling AR-15 type guns https://gun-shop.ca/product-tag/ar-15/
Here's another in Ajax Ontario selling AR-15 type guns, with home shipping below https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/ar-15

Canada is a major producer of civilian AR-15 type rifles, with the Colt Canada produced SA20 (shown above) made in Kitchener, Ontario being very popular with hunters and target shooters.

And it's not just long guns, Canada makes handguns, apparently well regarded and of high quality. https://dlaskarms.com/product/dlask-1911-magazine-base-pad-copy-2/ This Delta, BC manufacturer seems to be out of stock of the made in Canada handguns, but here's my order for a Glock handgun.

Last edited:
You make good points, but I can't agree with this one. In the 1970s and 80s as a teen growing up in Mississauga in a middle class, though single mother family, and my parents never took me on summer trips or camps or cottages. I was in Cubs and Scouts and then joined Army Cadets but that was on my own initiative. I also enrolled in summer school to get more credits. And of course I had summer jobs, landscaping, dishwasher in a pub, stockboy, etc. In short, I didn't need a stable family to get me out and about in the summer.

I now live downtown east and have two teenage daughters. Much to my chagrin and against my pushing them to get out and see friends, both my daughters seem to spend their summers sitting at home on their devices. But neither are at any risk of joining a criminal street gang, lol.
You can buy an AR-15 legally in Canada. Plenty of folks do. Any semi-automatic rifle can be bought once you have your firearms permit.

I too grew up in a single-parent situation; and let's call it lower-middle income, and I've ended up well educated and comfortable.

That said; the first thing I would say is that we don't design programs and services w/the most go-getter, can-do, people in mind.

We design programs to create a floor you can't fall below without working at it.

I would offer a couple of comments on your anecdotal experience.

First, the achievement gap largely occurs in elementary school, not high school.

Occupying teenage males in the summer has merit in its own right; but when it comes to academics, most of the gap between those from low-income and high income households occurs between between pre-school and the middle grades.

From ounceofprevention.org

That some kids prove to be exceptions, doesn't change the average performance level.

From hechingerreport.org: Notice the correlation between screen-time and parent-level of education and income.

More and more entertainment venues, ATMs, buses, streetcars, subway, condos, apartment buildings (including TCHC), stores, houses, and even public spaces are putting up security cameras. Cameras that record not on the premises, but either off site or in the cloud. That should include red light and speed cameras. As well, people are installed their own dash cams on their vehicles.

While they may not stop the shootings or stabbings, they help in recording the incidents (as well as before and after) for the police.
As much as I hate the idea of more surveillance, it might be necessary at this point. You would hope that more cameras would at least deter some people from engaging in violence.

You can buy an AR-15 legally in Canada and have it shipped to your house. Plenty of folks do. Any semi-automatic rifle can be bought once you have your firearms permit.

Here's a gun shop in Alberta selling AR-15 type guns https://gun-shop.ca/product-tag/ar-15/
Here's another in Ajax Ontario selling AR-15 type guns, with home shipping below https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/ar-15

View attachment 197950

Canada is a major producer of civilian AR-15 type rifles, with the Colt Canada produced SA20 (shown above) made in Kitchener, Ontario being very popular with hunters and target shooters.

And it's not just long guns, Canada makes handguns, apparently well regarded and of high quality. https://dlaskarms.com/product/dlask-1911-magazine-base-pad-copy-2/ This Delta, BC manufacturer seems to be out of stock of the made in Canada handguns, but here's my order for a Glock handgun.

View attachment 197951
Yeah, I feel like most people don't realize how easy it is to get a gun in Canada. I had a friend in University that had like 6 different semis and it blew my mind because I had always thought that Canada had really strict guns laws.

Tory and Ford are doing some media thing about guns and gangs violence tomorrow which I guess ties this discussion back to the thread theme.

I think the main issue with gun violence is that it disturbs the social order by causing intersections between the parallel layers or planes of existence within the urban and social fabric. The criminal underworld and the world of adolescences are largely hidden from the general order. We may acknowledge they exist, and they always exist but they aren’t really important or front and centre to our lives if we aren’t directly involved. Gun violence sort of cuts through the boundaries of the social fabric and makes us take notice of the violence and antisocial behaviour endemic to the criminal and adolescent worlds that exists guns or no guns.

Tory and Ford are doing some media thing about guns and gangs violence tomorrow which I guess ties this discussion back to the thread theme.

I think the main issue with gun violence is that it disturbs the social order by causing intersections between the parallel layers or planes of existence within the urban and social fabric. The criminal underworld and the world of adolescences are largely hidden from the general order. We may acknowledge they exist, and they always exist but they aren’t really important or front and centre to our lives if we aren’t directly involved. Gun violence sort of cuts through the boundaries of the social fabric and makes us take notice of the violence and antisocial behaviour endemic to the criminal and adolescent worlds that exists guns or no guns.

I guessing that Doug Ford knows a lot more than John Tory about gangs, based on Doug's alleged high school activities (both after school and when skipping classes).

Last edited:

Back