News   Mar 28, 2024
 172     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 197     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 254     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Incumbency is a powerful thing in municipal politics. Tory was already favored to win based on that alone.

You don't think that he will go back to running for mayor if/when he fails to become PC leader?
Let's not forget Robbie failed a term even playing the cancer/death card. It would be interesting if Dougie does throw his jock-strap into the ring, I have two questions, one, if his biggest support base is in the GTA (mostly outside Toronto) and he fails provincially, will he have enough of a base left or will we see the same as last time?. Second, if people blow their load, so to speak, on a provincial run then where would Dougie get campaign funds to run in Toronto again? If Dougie has indeed turned his back on the "Elites" like Mike Harris then...

"Getting Rid Of The Elites" ("Drain The Swamp" by any other phrase) and "Find Efficiencies" are so familiar, and are dated, however, what's a Populist to do. The question is if peoples' are as short as Dougie thinks they are even considering that Ford 2.1a is in office south of the boarder.

The one thing that is sure... material for Comedians and so-called "alternative media" (some would argue it's the same thing as the former).

Let's not forget Robbie failed a term even playing the cancer/death card. It would be interesting if Dougie does throw his jock-strap into the ring, I have two questions, one, if his biggest support base is in the GTA (mostly outside Toronto) and he fails provincially, will he have enough of a base left or will we see the same as last time?. Second, if people blow their load, so to speak, on a provincial run then where would Dougie get campaign funds to run in Toronto again? If Dougie has indeed turned his back on the "Elites" like Mike Harris then...

"Getting Rid Of The Elites" ("Drain The Swamp" by any other phrase) and "Find Efficiencies" are so familiar, and are dated, however, what's a Populist to do. The question is if peoples' are as short as Dougie thinks they are even considering that Ford 2.1a is in office south of the boarder.

The one thing that is sure... material for Comedians and so-called "alternative media" (some would argue it's the same thing as the former).
Not sure there’s much time to raise or spend money on the leadership race. If he loses there will be plenty of cash left to run for mayor. Hell, if he just gets everyone in his family with a K in their name to donate he’ll be most of the way there.

Keesmaat has the tools to take down Tory, not just knowledge accrued from her role as City Planner but also because of her extensive planning background and understanding of how cities work.

The problem is the bloody nuisance that is Doug Ford.

I dunno about that. She's going to be labelled David Miller 2.0. Having been a planner and therefore generally getting her way from an administrative hierarchy (or having to go with the program for politics stake) opens her up to alot of attacks. Basically used to just one-way communication. She actually said the 1 stop subway was a good idea "though in response to the alternative of 3 stops". But still, that opens her up to getting picked on for that, tripped up, etc.

Not sure there’s much time to raise or spend money on the leadership race. If he loses there will be plenty of cash left to run for mayor. Hell, if he just gets everyone in his family with a K in their name to donate he’ll be most of the way there.

I think Ford's a great attention getter, but won't get a substantial number of votes provincially. His only hope is mayoral, and even then he's already written it off (though, a reversal wouldn't surprise me).

His facebook (campaign) page has less than 600 followers. Lead Ford cheerleader Neil Flagg has hitched his wagon to divisive names like Sam Sotiropoulous, Breitbart News and (shocker) Donald J. Trump, driving away centrists who followed his pages, so he's lost any influence he had with non-racists, non-nihilists and reasonable people. Ford has the crazifaction numbers, and that's it. Unless the three candidates split votes nearly evenly, he doesn't have a hope in hell. And for the sake of the party and their desire to appeal to non-whites and under 60s, I see Mulroney stepping aside and handing support to Elliot if it seems even vaguely likely that Ford has a chance.

I don't think Keesmaat would win in 2018 or 2022. Outside of the urban chattering classes, does anyone know who she is? I think she is too urbane, too 'Annex' to win in places like Thistletown or Malvern.

I don't think Keesmaat would win in 2018 or 2022. Outside of the urban chattering classes, does anyone know who she is? I think she is too urbane, too 'Annex' to win in places like Thistletown or Malvern.

And who knew of Miller before he won his first term?

(yes, I say that because few people are aware of any politicians that don't directly affect them)

I think Ford's a great attention getter, but won't get a substantial number of votes provincially. His only hope is mayoral, and even then he's already written it off (though, a reversal wouldn't surprise me).

His facebook (campaign) page has less than 600 followers. Lead Ford cheerleader Neil Flagg has hitched his wagon to divisive names like Sam Sotiropoulous, Breitbart News and (shocker) Donald J. Trump, driving away centrists who followed his pages, so he's lost any influence he had with non-racists, non-nihilists and reasonable people. Ford has the crazifaction numbers, and that's it. Unless the three candidates split votes nearly evenly, he doesn't have a hope in hell. And for the sake of the party and their desire to appeal to non-whites and under 60s, I see Mulroney stepping aside and handing support to Elliot if it seems even vaguely likely that Ford has a chance.
@Fordnation is the main account - 19k FB followers.

Vote split doesn't matter because it's instant runoff. Elliott and Mulroney are just fighting to get #2 so they can win on the final ballot.

Ford attracts the crazies, but if enough of them are PCPO members they can make the difference. This battle won't be won on policies or debate performance - it's all about the get out the vote machinery. Elliott/Mulroney are way ahead here, so will need to see if it's enough to overcome the Fordian hordes.

And Doug Ford types are too suburban lame to win places like downtown. What's your point?

Back