News   Mar 28, 2024
 42     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Yes and now he is apparently running as Councillor in new Ward 21 (St Lawrence). I doubt if he has got less furious or more organised in the last few years. There are good reasons that the Provincial Liberals told him that he could not be an MPP candidate again.
Great. The genius who gave us the ehealth fiasco wants another kick at the government can. It’s as if he’s unemployable outside of politics.

Great. The genius who gave us the ehealth fiasco wants another kick at the government can. It’s as if he’s unemployable outside of politics.

Has Smitherman stated exactly which of the new/redrawn wards he is running in? All I believe he has said is that it will be a downtown ward.

To the surprise of no one, Tory just posted on social media and confirmed that he will stick to being mayor.
Hmm, just as I was beginning to play with the idea in my head.

The more I think about it, Tory would beat Wynne. Toronto ridings would flip to PC, and Wynne's historical anti-Toronto rhetoric and policies (such as her anti-road toll attitude) would come back to bite her hard.

The rest of the province won't care about the "too-Liberal", spoon-fed Toronto elitist Tory if it meant beating Wynne's Liberals at this point.

The thing is that it leaves the Toronto mayoralty seat vacant. But that is solveable too if Tory swallowed his pride and endorsed Keesmaat or someone, that would unite the downtown/midtown electorate against DoFo.

It is a fun what-if scenario to think about.

At this point, I think Tory would be better than Wynne for Toronto as premier.

Of course, we don't live in an autocracy but a parliamentary democracy so I'm not sure having the boss be better for Toronto would necessarily translate into better things for this town.

If Doug doesn't go for Tory's job, how does that change the game? I know that Tory is a heavily favored incumbent, but it could open the door for other challengers.

If Doug doesn't go for Tory's job, how does that change the game? I know that Tory is a heavily favored incumbent, but it could open the door for other challengers.

The Left could be tempted here to put a serious candidate but I still think they concentrate more on the numbers game in riding seats than risk losing a seat from a current or prospective candidate. Although it has to be more tempting right now

Who said he doesn't - he got ample time to jump in if and when the PC job didn't pan out.

AoD
Not much, Dougie would still be dealing with a Red Toronto either by no time to stack him own candidates or just that Toronto has an extreme dislike for Prov. Cons.

Indeed. Tory would shift progressive if the council makeup was more progressive.

He started his term more Right Wing and has only recently started leaning more supportive pf the Left. IMO he's in campaign mode and only attempting to pull as many scared Left voters as possible. Tory has the Centre Right but Ford owned the rest. On council the Right wing support for Ford were becoming more apparent so Tory had to get strategic. Inevitably we will likely see the real Tory if he gets elected and doesn't need to pandering his last term. My guess is hes a bit more Right of Centre than hes been acting to get re-elected.

Last edited:
Is
He started his term more Right Wing and has only recently leaning more supportive if the Left. IMO he's in campaign mode and only attempting to pull as many scared Left voters as possible. Tory has the Centre Right but Ford owned the rest. On council the Right wing support for Ford were becoming more apparent so Tory had to get strategic. Inevitably we will likely see the real Tory if he gets elected and doesn't need to pandering his last term. My guess is hes a bit more Right of Centre than hes been acting to get re-elected.
Is there a real Tory?

Is there a real Tory?

Yeah. He's an alright bloke when he's not playing the political game. I know someone who lives in the same building as him and knows him personally. That neighbour Tory is the real Tory. Politics ruins otherwise perfectly good people.

Back