News   Apr 23, 2024
 844     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 419     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

While there certainly are college drop outs who have ended up demonstrating great skill/aplomb at any number of things............

Is it really reasonable to suggest that someone with no work experience to speak of might be an appropriate candidate for high office?

Surely its reasonable to ask for some sort of CV when reviewing a job applicant.

It's reasonable to ask, that it means anything is debatable.

What a candidate campaigns on is more indicative of their goals and ethic than if they managed to hold a job and get a degree.

Unless of course that degree is one in being a counselor.

Let's not pretend either of these things are an indicator of who deserves to run the city.
A college education and/or relevant work experience does not guarantee success in any position, including elected office. But it has nothing to do with "deserving" to run the City, I simply want my elected officials to have a passable level of intelligence. Which in my opinion is more likely if someone is educated or has relevant past experience. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope an elected official will be able to think critically about problems that can be very complex. I do not have any confidence that Michael Ford can think critically about most issues the City faces.

No one is talking about Tory’s $100,000/year side hustle?

For his advisory role on the Rogers trust, the mayor is paid $100,000 annually, an amount the Star confirmed for the first time this week. (Tory earned $198,834 in salary as mayor in 2020.)

Tory has reportedly already mediated a meeting among family members and their advisers last week. Tory’s office confirmed his commitments spanned “several hours” over two days.

That seems like a sizeable 'retainer' to me. Of course, many Councillors have outside income and we (taxpayers) really do not pay them that much - Tory gets $198K for being Mayor and could undoubtedly earn FAR more if he was out in the world.

I'm not sure it's really that big of a deal. I'm far more annoyed with his insistence on wasting billions to rebuild the eastern half of the Gardiner.

That seems like a sizeable 'retainer' to me. Of course, many Councillors have outside income and we (taxpayers) really do not pay them that much - Tory gets $198K for being Mayor and could undoubtedly earn FAR more if he was out in the world.

Then perhaps he should quit and earn far more out in that world.

AoD

The whole "I'm on TV at 6:00 a.m.!" is so sad. Like he thinks that's some accomplishment. He was on this morning, and you know what he was talking about? How he is so great for being on TV at 6:00 a.m..

Only unemployable and sub, 60k incomes for Mayor and council!

There are 11 Quebec towns which are had elections with zero mayoral candidates because of low pay; numerous empty council seats too. Another 105 mayors ran unopposed.

It's a terrible job for work-life balance (if you take it even half seriously) without the benefit of an executives salary.

Last edited:
On the subject of compensation..........

Toronto Councillors who do their job well earn their pay......but at over 100k, I don't think a lack of compensation deters high quality candidates.

At ~200k, there's room to pay the Mayor more, though a very, very rich, John Tory, well into his retirement years is hardly influenced by the current level of compensation, +/- another 100k wouldn't move the needle for him.

That said, no one is standing in line at the food bank on that kind of money, and one has to be mindful that the compensation comes from taxes levied on people who overwhelmingly earn less.

We need to distinguish those small-town Mayors who get only an honorarium, or a salary so low its akin to one from big City mayors and councillors who are typically more generously compensated.

When we look at what discourages qualified people in big cities from running for office, we need to state, emphatically that many such people do run and some even win!

The barriers to winning are often about incumbency and the electoral system, as well as low participation rates, rather than a poor selection of candidates.

Beyond the above, I expect what may discourage is the workload, the evenings/weekends away from family to attend assorted meetings/events and the like. There is only so much to be done about that........
I don't think another 30k in the compensation package makes that any more tolerable to those who find it challenging. More councillors (smaller wards) can help a bit; though what you gain in fewer meeting/events, you may
trade for longer ones with more councillors speaking on agenda items.

Back