News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 977     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I thought there was some type of legislation that prohibits private transit operators in Toronto? That's why initiatives like the Liberty Village shuttle were shut down.

There is nothing to prevent a public transit operator from contracting a private company to run operations; several agencies (including the TTC for Wheeltrans) do this.

There is nothing to prevent a public transit operator from contracting a private company to run operations; several agencies (including the TTC for Wheeltrans) do this.
Wouldn't the TTC union go berserk if the city contracted out some transit services in any material way?

Wouldn't the TTC union go berserk if the city contracted out some transit services in any material way?

Probably, but the private sector alternative isn't necessarily all that better or reliable either (recall the YRT Veolia strike). What matters is that it is run efficiently - and if paying a little more fosters worker loyalty, I am all for it.

AoD

As I said in my message above, TTC already contracts out transit services (wheel trans). Contracting out a low-capacity on-demand service for able-bodied persons isn't a giant leap beyond what they already do. Unions might put up a fuss (maybe not Kinnear gone) but I expect mediation would side with the TTC on this one.

Last edited:
Thanks; I was missing the "contracting out" part and thinking of direct private competition -- Uber Hop, Liberty Shuttle, etc.

I don't see where Uber makes a lot of sense on the TTC -- though Tory, as we should remember, is chummy with Uber's lobbyists.

The TTC operates what is actually an extremely efficient bus service, operating on a mostly-grid network that feeds an even more efficient rapid transit network. There might be a dozen routes whose passengers might be better served by a demand-based transit service (remember GO Dial a Bus?), like 115 Silver Hills or 120 Calvington, but even those buses aren't unused as is.

There are some trips that transit doesn't serve that well, especially in the 1970s/1980s suburbs like Rexdale - seniors going to Sunday church, doctor's visits, shopping. But those are hyper-local trips that aren't really done by transit anyway.

I don't see where Uber makes a lot of sense on the TTC -- though Tory, as we should remember, is chummy with Uber's lobbyists.

The TTC operates what is actually an extremely efficient bus service, operating on a mostly-grid network that feeds an even more efficient rapid transit network. There might be a dozen routes whose passengers might be better served by a demand-based transit service (remember GO Dial a Bus?), like 115 Silver Hills or 120 Calvington, but even those buses aren't unused as is.

There are some trips that transit doesn't serve that well, especially in the 1970s/1980s suburbs like Rexdale - seniors going to Sunday church, doctor's visits, shopping. But those are hyper-local trips that aren't really done by transit anyway.

It might make sense for some Wheeltrans users - the ones who aren't profoundly limited in mobility.

AoD

Reposting this from the Scarborough thread...

Mayor John Tory 'bombarded' the owner of Scarborough Town Centre to support a subway
Mayor John Tory pushed the owner of Scarborough Town Centre to back the controversial one-stop subway extension plan, the company says, as it further distanced itself from that project.

And though the mayor has previously brushed off involvement with a lobby group backed by Oxford Properties, in an unusual move president and CEO Blake Hutcheson told a crowd of investors on Monday that Tory influenced them to get involved with the ConnectScarborough organization that has been criticized as portraying itself as a grassroots campaign.

“We’ve been bombarded by the mayor’s office, who are fully in favour of the subway; by multiple councillors who have an alternative view,” Hutcheson said. “The Scarborough Town Centre team backed a group that were advocates for the subway . . . Which is what the mayor wanted, frankly, asked us to support.”

Oxford had quietly de-funded the ConnectScarborough group and had backed away from strongly advocating for a subway as the decision came to another vote at council.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...rborough-town-centre-to-support-a-subway.html

By the way, what was John Tory telling us about his connection to Oxford and ConnectScarborough? "I think I shook their hand once in a mall, they were at a booth and I think I shook their hand". So he lied again...gee I'm so surprised. Turns out he helped plant those AstroTurf seeds himself.

Also remember that during the public hearing at Executive Committee, some Scarborough residents falsely claimed the subway would save them lots of time. Several of those deputants were affiliated with Scarborough Connects and Oxford Properties. Later during the council debate, the mayor repeatedly cited those deputants as a key reason for building the SSE, said these are "real people".

This story today is just further proof how the mayor and his allies - being unable to justify their support through normal evidence-based means - has to rely exclusively on backroom manipulation and public misinformation campaigns to manufacture a fake rationale for the subway. He is so aggressively full of crap on the SSE, to the point that any moment now he will stoop to Trump's level and accuse critics as being enemies of the people. But you know what, if this is the transit plan he wants to take to the voters, I say go right ahead. Lets find out just how great of a political benefit this will turn out to be in the long run, which we all know was the only motive all along. Lets see what other bad news we will learn in the next staff report, which is conveniently scheduled to come out right before the election. Let this farce follow him around for the rest of his political career.

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:
==========================================

News Release

April 18, 2017

City of Toronto pays tribute to Councillor Ron Moeser

Councillor Ron Moeser (Ward 44 Scarborough East), a long-time member of Toronto City Council, passed away earlier today at the age of 74, due to health complications related to his battle with lymphoma cancer.

"It is with a heavy heart that I extend deepest condolences on behalf of Toronto City Council to Ron's wife Heather, their daughters and all members of his family," said Mayor John Tory. "Ron was a voice of reason and a calming presence on City Council. He was fiercely dedicated to his constituents and as a resident of the Scarborough community for over 30 years, was keenly attuned to their voices. I personally will miss his presence and wish him peace.”

Councillor Moeser served the Scarborough community, first as Councillor in the former City of Scarborough and then as the Ward 44 councillor since the City of Toronto's amalgamation in 1998. Throughout his 27 years in municipal politics, Councillor Moeser continually strived to implement changes to enhance the quality of life in Ward 44.

In this most recent term, Councillor Moeser served on the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Board, the City-School Boards Advisory Committee, the Economic Development Committee and the Scarborough Community Council. In previous Council terms, he served on Budget Committee, as chair of the Scarborough Community Council and on boards for Toronto Hydro, Toronto Zoo, CNE and Centenary Hospital, amongst others.

Flags at City Hall, Metro Hall and the Toronto civic centres will be lowered to half-mast in Councillor Moeser's honour. They will remain lowered until the end of the day of his funeral. Books of condolence will be available at Toronto City Hall and the Scarborough Civic Centre beginning tomorrow for staff and members of the public to express their condolences. An online book of condolence will also be available at http://cityoftorontocondolences.ca beginning tomorrow.

Funeral service arrangements will be forthcoming.

This news release is also available on the City of Toronto website at http://ow.ly/APZT30aXJrD.

Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities. In 2017, Toronto will honour Canada's 150th birthday with "TO Canada with Love," a year-long program of celebrations, commemorations and exhibitions. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit http://www.toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/TorontoComms and on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/cityofto.

- 30 -

Back