News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 590     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Um, isn't that like banning the sick from the hospitals in order to free up space? The very reason the DVP and Gardiner were built was to commuters to get from the 'burbs to downtown. The only problem is that the idea become so popular that demand is exceeding supply. If you're plan is to prohibit demand, then you might as well get rid of the supply, and demolish the DVP and Gardiner. Good luck with that.
Oh, it's an absurd idea all right - but not quite as absurd as banning commercial vehicles! I'm simply noting that not only one shouldn't ban commercial vehicles like you suggested, that if push came to shove they should have the priority, given that they don't have transit options.

What's a no-brainer on both expressways (but especially in the central Gardiner) are bus lanes.

Those bus lanes could also be opened up to commercial vehicles outside of rush hours. Right now it's absurd to see so many GO Buses at capacity during rush hour stuck behind ultra-inefficient single-occupant vehicles.

I don't know if it is such a no-brainer. It would remove another whole lane from use during rush hour. Of course if I was in a bus I would definitely be saying "sweet". But for the thousands of other commuters I worry they would be saying "...this would not be happening if Rob Ford was still mayor..".

What's a no-brainer on both expressways (but especially in the central Gardiner) are bus lanes.

Those bus lanes could also be opened up to commercial vehicles outside of rush hours. Right now it's absurd to see so many GO Buses at capacity during rush hour stuck behind ultra-inefficient single-occupant vehicles.

The exact same could be said about any road in Toronto.

Brilliant....except for the ridiculous ban on commercial vehicles during those hours. I don't know why we get the shit end of the stick, but people in construction who actually NEED to use their vehicles (unlike an office worker, for example) are to be banned from getting to their jobs in said vehicles that are NEEDED. This would be asinine. We already have problems with being underappreciated because we only build places for people to live and work.

I'm all for construction vehicles that NEED to use the road being allowed to use it when needed. My problem is with trucks and other vehicles that are blocking traffic when they don't need to. For example, there's no reason for delivery trucks to be blocking the road in the day; they can do their business early mornings or in the evenings (after rush hour).

I'm all for construction vehicles that NEED to use the road being allowed to use it when needed. My problem is with trucks and other vehicles that are blocking traffic when they don't need to. For example, there's no reason for delivery trucks to be blocking the road in the day; they can do their business early mornings or in the evenings (after rush hour).
Like Fed Ex? They can't deliver to businesses before rush hour - there's no one there! And they need to do pickups before and in early evening rush-hour, and then ship everything to Pearson for the evening flight.

Should we sacrifice next-day delivery anywhere in North America?

Like Fed Ex? They can't deliver to businesses before rush hour - there's no one there! And they need to do pickups before and in early evening rush-hour, and then ship everything to Pearson for the evening flight.

Should we sacrifice next-day delivery anywhere in North America?

Change the methodology of delivery....run deliveries overnight 10PM to5AM...deliver everything to specific block or building depots overnight...recipients can pick up in the AM or be delivered by whoever in manning the depot....

Change the methodology of delivery....run deliveries overnight 10PM to5AM...deliver everything to specific block or building depots overnight...recipients can pick up in the AM or be delivered by whoever in manning the depot....
How do you do that when the planes don't land at Pearson until about 6 AM?

And how would every office in downtown Toronto arrange for overnight delivery/pickup? Many only have a few employees. Watch the Fed-Ex trucks. Most are parked in front of small buildings.

I'm not sure couriers are even a big issue. If you stand at Front and Sherbourne, they all drive north on Sherbourne (from the depot at Sherbourne/Queens Quay) at around 9 AM or so ... they have little interest in playing in rush-hour traffic either. Perhaps discouraging the before 9 AM deliveries might help a bit. And most pick-ups are before 4 (though I can get them to pick up until 5:30).

Last edited:
That's called making your problem my problem. The mindset is "I can't get something I want or feel I need without inconveniencing others, so screw them, I want what I want and am going to get it." My problem is now everyone else's.

Last edited:
Greg, you're trying to solve someone else's problem, i.e. FedEx'.

If FedEx can't operate as they would like to without breaking the law, then too bad. They must change how they operate to accommodate the law, or run the risk of law enforcement, be it fines, towing or asset confiscation.

I don't know if it is such a no-brainer. It would remove another whole lane from use during rush hour. Of course if I was in a bus I would definitely be saying "sweet". But for the thousands of other commuters I worry they would be saying "...this would not be happening if Rob Ford was still mayor..".

And those 905ers can continue complaining for all I care.

Greg, you're trying to solve someone else's problem, i.e. FedEx'.

If FedEx can't operate as they would like to without breaking the law, then too bad. They must change how they operate to accommodate the law, or run the risk of law enforcement, be it fines, towing or asset confiscation.

Selfish people....
Best of luck in finding a politician who would try and pass such a bylaw.

Maybe income based fines. Not necessarily on the driver, but on the owner of the vehicle, especially commercial vehicles. Parking fines and speeding tickets should go up based on income, if they can get the information somehow.

So that if Rob Ford gets a parking ticket, it will be higher than Michael Ford, for example. However, if the vehicle is owned or leased by Deco, maybe even a higher fine, payable by Deco.

Maybe set up a two-part fine system, so that the company or owner of the vehicles would be fined or invoiced with their portion. So both driver and owner get fined, based on their income.

Back