News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 641     0 

Maple Leaf Gardens renovations delayed

Or a fan of nubile young lads
210px-FamilyGuyHerbert.jpg

...which, come to think of it, keeps up with the dark side of the location

After all the frustration over what to use MLG for, I think that is the best idea for the time being. Consider it an enclosed, all-weather version of Dundas Square. The doors to the building are open to anybody, and anybody can come in and do whatever they want in the building, short of damaging or vandalizing the building or causing public nuisance.

It would make a nice place sit and have a quiet lunch, or for quiet meditation, to meet up, or just to roam around the building as a hockey fan or architecture fan.
do they have a scoreboard/videotron of some type in there?

cuz if they do, they could run ads on that if they want some sort of revenue.

Does MLS&E still own the Gardens?
Did they sell or lease to Loblaws?
Terms of the lease may restrict what happens in the building.

Loblaws bought the building 3 or 4 years ago. It can't be used in any way which competes with the ACC

Loblaws bought the building 3 or 4 years ago. It can't be used in any way which competes with the ACC
interesting to see if they can find a way out of that condition. It's a convection centre ready to go, but that might be a competing with the ACC. No concerts either, obviously. .... Loblaws just got beaten up a tad, and may not be so keen- as others have pointed out- to blow their brains out on an outrageously expensive renovation of MLG.
Hm... convention centre... hm-mm. ... Private enterprise could make it work... (And some lame ass condo, too...)

It's a convection centre ready to go ....to blow their brains out on an outrageously expensive renovation...

I thought it was good practice to remove internal organs before baking something in an oven.

Interesting idea, though - MLG as a giant Swiss Chalet with the world's largest convection oven (with little chicken brains popping).

interesting to see if they can find a way out of that condition. It's a convection centre ready to go, but that might be a competing with the ACC. No concerts either, obviously. .... Loblaws just got beaten up a tad, and may not be so keen- as others have pointed out- to blow their brains out on an outrageously expensive renovation of MLG.
Hm... convention centre... hm-mm. ... Private enterprise could make it work... (And some lame ass condo, too...)

The conditions may have related more to the use of the ice, I think that's what MLSE Ltd. was most concerned about.
Surely Loblaws knew exactly what they were getting into when they purchased the site so don't feel too bad for them.

I thought it was good practice to remove internal organs before baking something in an oven.

Interesting idea, though - MLG as a giant Swiss Chalet with the world's largest convection oven (with little chicken brains popping).

convention centre -- but one with good ventilation...

Or alternatively, use the main structure as a podium for twin condos and call it Maple Leaf Square... hmm why does that sound familiar?:D

Context had a redevelopment plan that included two condo towers a few years ago - to the best of my recollection the renderings were pretty bad...

Context had a redevelopment plan that included two condo towers a few years ago - to the best of my recollection the renderings were pretty bad...

I remember that too... may even have a pic buried somewhere... I remember it as more of a massing sketch than architectural, but it was on the massive side.

Since everyone else is doing it (L Tower + Sony Centre) including churches, schools and military clubs.... I'm all in favour of seeing the ubiquitous condo grafting if they can make the economics work and save the ice surface. It has tremendous potential as a sort of "indoor park"... a really unique city amenity.

I'd go for a skate on the MLG rink in June quite happily.... Hockey Hall of Fame could run a satellite operation so the building's history is celebrated (let's leave the "crime stuff" out of this discussion).

I remember that proposal also but I can't think of how it could be have been done without taking the Gardens down and rebuilding it. The seating areas support the walls which in turn holds the roof, messing with those forces would most certainly destabilize the structure. Perhaps that might have been the intent; a big whoops.

There was no "taking the Gardens down". It was a huge great white shark bite into the GARDENS (which offended many) but who gives a shit about seating? This will not be re-imagined as a stadium... so let's keep it as a hockey/concert slice of life city amenity... historical even.

Back