News   Apr 18, 2024
 565     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

LuminaTO

I can't decide what to wear to Dream tonight - shall I dress as a Maharani or play it safe and wear fairy wings? Tomorrow night's easy - armed forces drag for Black Watch.

Black Watch was dynamite...literally! Boom..bang...boom....fantastic! There’s something about Scottish guys in uniform.:) And I learned that the F-word and the C-word can be used as adjectives, verbs, nouns, articles and just about anything else.

One other thing...when they say "no late admission" they mean it, and it's two hours with no intermission...if you leave they don't let you back in. Two people went out and were never seen again. (I think the soldier guys shot them out back). Hit the little boy's room before you go in.

I won't say anymore...I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone who's planning to go. It really is something grand!

From Daily Dose of Imagery:

luminato_light-balls_dundas-square_01.jpg

luminato_light-balls_dundas-square_02.jpg

Do they have the lights on the waterfront this year? or the art exhibits at BCE place, union station, I remember last year the giant Inflated horses at Union staiton.

brookfield place really has nothing. just a cardboard "house" that's painted. it was very anti-climatic when i saw it.

there are no lights at the waterfront this year. they are however having a whole weekend with events next week at harbourfront. i'll be checking out the fire sculptures at the skating rink.
-----------

i went to the opening yesterday at yonge/dundas and i loved that the whole square was filled with people. the floating spheres were ok. nothing special IMO. they didn't change color as much as i thought they would.

Despite the tremendous staging and acting, which were a real joy to behold, I sorely missed being saturated from beginning to end by the language of Shakespeare - spoken in English by people for whom English is their first language - in last night's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. To be sure the story transcended the multiple languages spoken, but to my ear some of the delight was missing from the journey.

There were several other Luminato openings that night, in a city with many other productions as well, and the theatre was barely half full. More than a few didn't return after intermission.

After I left the Canon, I spent a while at the big band swing thing in the Square - thousands of us swaying to the music as Bruce Kuwabara's big colourful balls swayed gently above our heads.

Tonight was Black Watch - one of the tightest, best pieces of ensemble acting I've seen in many years - performed by ten Scotsmen wearing some of the tightest army trousers I've seen ... ever.

If anyone doubts that the bagpipes, when played properly, are one of the most beautiful-sounding musical instrument in the world, let them see this play.

I saw "A Midsummer Night's Dream" this afternoon. I was able to score a "rush ticket" ; row B, centre seat, for 20 bucks. One can infer from that the theatre was hardly full. There came a point, early in the first act, when I stopped hearing the change from English to Tamil, Malayalam, Sinhalese, Hindi, Bengali, Marathi and Sanskrit. It didn't matter. The actors swept me along with them and I loved every moment of it. This production has a history of trouble attracting an audience and keeping it after the intermission. I'm glad I went and I'm glad I stayed. I hope others will too.

Silent Dance Party

Sparsely attended, less sophisticated but colourful. Silent Dance at Y+D Square Saturday evening/Sunday morning

PICT1473.jpg

PICT1476.jpg

PICT1481.jpg

PICT1485.jpg

PICT1486.jpg

What time was this photo taken?

I was at that silent dance party between 12:20 am - 1:30 am. During that time that dance floor was packed and rocking. It was one hell of a party and good time. It was really well done!

My friends and I are not in any of those pictures, so I'm guessing you came either real early or really late to the party.

I saw just abou EVERYTHING LuminaTO had to offer on Saturday. I loved it all, from the Funk Festival with the dance competitions, to the Resurface Party at the Drake Hotel, Slow Dancing at U of T, the photos hanging in the Brookfield Galleria, and of course the Silent Dance Party which was the real highlight!

Louroz

Then there was the joyously vulgar counterpoint of the Portugal festivities in Trinity-Bellwoods; you can't yuppify or gentrify it...

This morning I noticed that a few of BK's balls are deflating.

Novelty is a part of the appeal of Dream .The plot hasn't been tweaked, the characters haven't been reinterpreted, the familiar ( if convoluted ) story remains. What's lost, to anyone not fluently octalingual, is the Shakespeare's subtle wordplay spoken in English by actors who speak that language first and foremost. What's gained is a well-acted, visually lively, multicultural phenomenon. Of course, any play can be performed by a multilingual cast - Black Watch could be - but I'm already finding that, with the passage of two days, the novelty factor is wearing off a little bit.

One of the volunteers at Black Watch last night said he got the gig through the Luminato website. He's seeing several productions for free; volunteers also get a chance at reduced-price tickets.

I was at that silent dance party between 12:20 am - 1:30 am. During that time that dance floor was packed and rocking. It was one hell of a party and good time. It was really well done!

My friends and I are not in any of those pictures, so I'm guessing you came either real early or really late to the party.

I saw just abou EVERYTHING LuminaTO had to offer on Saturday. I loved it all, from the Funk Festival with the dance competitions, to the Resurface Party at the Drake Hotel, Slow Dancing at U of T, the photos hanging in the Brookfield Galleria, and of course the Silent Dance Party which was the real highlight!

Louroz

I thought I was there around 12:30 but now that I think of it, I was probably (obviously) there later. Those were likely taken around 1:30 because I'm pretty sure I was home by 2.

Went to Mozart Dances yesterday afternoon. What a joyous work - music transposed as motion, one medium expressed as another. Playful little visual amplifications ( hand movements especially, and a little shimmy thing when they came to rest on the floor that added visual punctuation ) and a company obviously thrilled to be on stage. This and Black Watch the highlights so far.

The music was sublime - Jane Glover conducting members of the COC band. And very good acoustics. Not a full house but almost.

Hotter than hades outside - dropped by the ROM for half an hour to see the little Wedgwood exhibition.

Up next: Music expressed as colour - Olivier Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time tonight at the Isabel Bader Theatre.

The only thing that's been disappointing so far is how the public outdoor events have to shut down at 11 pm because of noise bylaws.

Back