How do you feel about Ford

• Love Ford

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Hate Ford

Votes: 113 80.1%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters
By which measure was Ford elected with the "strongest mandate ever won by a Toronto mayor"?

To summarize for those who don't want to look at the numbers, Ford was elected with the second weakest mandate (as a percentage of votes cast) in post-amalgamation history.

The saddest thing about those numbers is that our most popular Mayor ever, by a wide margin, is.....Mel Lastman!....sigh. I think I might hate Toronto voters. Can we add an option for that in the poll?

By which measure was Ford elected with the "strongest mandate ever won by a Toronto mayor"?
In an election with three viable candidates, no incumbent, and a relatively heavy turnout, winning with 47% seems pretty strong to me. And considering what the last few polls were telling us, Ford really destroyed the field on election day.

I didn't vote for Ford, but you're dreaming if you think his mandate was weak.

In an election with three viable candidates.

Sorry, but those three were not viable candidates. People voted for Pantalone because he was the continuation of Miller, Ford because of his 'gravy train' and Smitherman because he was not either Pantalone or Ford. Where was the vision that we needed during the campaign?

Hah, fair enough. I stand corrected.

But still a decisive victory and intellectuals still more often than not make poor leaders.

Sorry, but those three were not viable candidates. People voted for Pantalone because he was the continuation of Miller, Ford because of his 'gravy train' and Smitherman because he was not either Pantalone or Ford. Where was the vision that we needed during the campaign?

There is no doubt whatsoever that it was a depressing spectacle for a lot of people. " Vision " is not a term the new boys at city hall embrace. In a couple of years the voters get another chance, and the " vision " thing will creep back into the municipal vocabulary.

Facts? Those are for Liberal elites! The truth comes from the gut.

Come on :) According to UT, everyone centre-left to right is a foaming conservative. If you guys go any further left, you're going to fall off.

Ford is mayor and this place needs to accept that fact already. He may not be ideal in the purest sense, but he will likely prove useful in making unpopular decisions that need to be made and he shouldn't be underestimated.

Ford is mayor and this place needs to accept that fact already. He may not be ideal in the purest sense, but he will likely prove useful in making unpopular decisions that need to be made and he shouldn't be underestimated.

Are you using "unpopular" as a synonym for "moronic" in this instance?

Ford is mayor and this place needs to accept that fact already.
Ford is only one vote in 45 (I'd say 2, but even his brother voted down his attempts to stop some grants!).

Without the support of 50% of council, he's merely the fat creep that they had problems with finding anyone who would sit next to him during the last council.

Think long term. The headline-friendly 'culture war' issues that seem so important today will prove to be insignificant blips, but rationalizing city services and weakening the grip of vocal vested interests would go a long way towards putting Toronto in a much healthier position. If he succeeds, that is.

The rare intellectual would have the stomach for the task at hand. Salesmen can sell, football coaches can inspire, and bulldozers can bulldoze. Brains aren't everything, especially when one's 'in the shit' so to speak.

Back