News   Apr 19, 2024
 202     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 584     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

London Rapid Transit (In-Design)

Building on prime farmland is stupid. Sprawl is stupid.The only real way to slow or stop those is by TOD and densifying the area.

Nobody has suggested sprawl is smart. What you have failed to show is why only LRT can stop sprawl.

place.So, if someone is moving there, thinking about transit, it is most definitely an after thought. They won;t even know where a nearest bus stop will be.

I think you might be projecting here. In the age of Google maps, the likelihood of people not knowing where the bus stop is rather low. London isn't Toronto. But it's also not North Bay.

Then its no longer effectively LRT. Now you have a metro that is gutted due to using LRVs for no good reason which only results in lower capacity.

Well put. This is the exact mistake Ottawa made. They were so obsessed with LRT, that they missed the idea of a light metro entirely. They ended building a light metro using stretched streetcars effectively. And that decision has probably contributed to some of Ottawa's challenges.

He's not actually unique here. Demanding that we massively overspend on transit is pretty common in Canada. Toronto is building expensive subway extension just because nobody can really figure how to integrate GO and TTC, if we're honest about it. Ottawa is extending LRT to a literal parking lot in Orleans. The idea that savings on one line can help build another line, so that coverage can be increased, is beyond the comprehension of the average person apparently.

Last edited:
And as a final exclamation point in the posts made above, even a grade-separated LRT like the Eglinton Crosstown can have fatal flaws built in to the planning of the route.

Toronto is spending many billions of dollars on the Crosstown line and they can't even figure out that the Leslie-Eglinton intersection shouldn't be mixed traffic operations, and failed to deliver signal priority in the surface section of the line in Scarborough, meaning the LRT will be sitting behind red lights.

And that is an example of probably the most expensive per km LRT in the world.

And as a final exclamation point in the posts made above, even a grade-separated LRT like the Eglinton Crosstown can have fatal flaws built in to the planning of the route.

Toronto is spending many billions of dollars on the Crosstown line and they can't even figure out that the Leslie-Eglinton intersection shouldn't be mixed traffic operations, and failed to deliver signal priority in the surface section of the line in Scarborough, meaning the LRT will be sitting behind red lights.

And that is an example of probably the most expensive per km LRT in the world.
Woah, that's a lot of assumptions. Eglinton West will be the most expensive per km LRT in the world!

Last edited:
You're a realist based off baseless assumptions

And you are dreamer based off baseless assumptions.

They are really stupid. The design of the Eglinton Crosstown should tell you this much. LRT wasn't chosen because it was the best option, it was chosen because Urban Planners at the time fetishised them (and still do today). The mode was chosen first, and then justifications to use the mode were made later. Now the Finch West LRT makes sense to be an LRT because the corridor is already so busy that the capacity of an LRT makes sense. London does not have that privilege.

So, the Crosstown is good, or bad?

Frankly, if we use Finch as a metric of what it takes for LRT, then why aren't other, more busier routes done yet as well in Toronto?

Not applicable to London. The LRT in London would be at grade and street running.

For most of it, I know, and it will be shortsighted.

The savings is actually getting something built, and having something that is far more useful for the short-medium term.

So, you enjoy your taxes going up to cover government waste?

Does not apply to London

It does apply to London.They can completely grade separate it, if they wanted to. If you mean that it does not apply because they had no plans to, then you are correct..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Nope.

The entire point of the VIVA Rapidway was to use them as a development tool. Look at Warden and Enterprise:

Pre-Rapidway
View attachment 375694

Post Rapidway:
View attachment 375695

Pre Rapidway:
View attachment 375696

Post Rapidway:
View attachment 375697

The way Transit Oriented Development works is that when you build transit like a BRT, LRT, or Streetcar, you're telling developers that "this part of the city is getting attention, and thus its worth investing here". The mode doesn't actually really matter as a result, whether its BRT, or LRT, having dedicated infrastructure for things like transit is enough to attract development in droves.

The ENTIRE POINT of Viva was to be a development tool first and foremost. BRT is genuinely no worse than LRT in this regard. That's why headways are so bad in many of the routes, the folks over at YRT prioritized having nice infrastructure first and foremost, rather than running actual service along the corridors. Again Yonge Street remains the only decently used Viva Route before and after the Rapidway simply because by chance they started running frequent services on that route which in turn developed ridership. The idiots over at YRT still don't understand that frequencies attract ridership.

But you don't want that. You want your brand new house, on the edge of suburbia in a tiny cul du sac to be served by BRT.

I remember back in the 1980s that Canada's Wonderland was in farmers fields. It is now encompassed by houses, towers, and businesses. Much of that happened before 2005 - the year VIVA started. And it doesn't even go there... yet. So, are you saying that the only place that will grow is where there is BRT? Cus, that area proves you wrong. What about the rest of the areas that are building more density in York Region that isn't served by BRT or the subway? Is that to be ignored?

BRT and LRT are no better at this. In fact all transit leads to sprawl. Did you know that in London, the reason why the greenbelt was implemented in the 50s wasn't because of highway related sprawl, but transit related sprawl? Suburbs like Edgeware only exist because they built the Northern Line in what was complete greenfield, and this result in a massive suburban core being built. BRTs are no better or worse at inducing sprawl than LRTs.

So, maybe we should build a smaller LRT and make sure the downtown core is well served to give developers and citizens a reasonto live closer to the core instead of out in a farmers field. That is how we do it. Sending a BRT, or even an LRT to the edges and making it easy to live there and get RT is why those areas are built the way they are built. You have said so yourself that downtown London has lots of surface parking lots. Those could be redeveloped into condos and shops at ground level, creating a more livable downtown. Or we can cheap out, build a BRT out to Colonal Talbot and Southdale, and Hyde Park and Fanshawe Park and let the downtown become worse. Look around at the cities that have invested in LRTs their downtown cores have become vibrant,livable places where the need for a car is slowly falling to the wayside. London could be the next city to do this.

This is only true for developed transit systems. Once you have a vast transit network with many people using it, maintaining 1 seat rides becomes impossible. But if you're a growing transit network like London, or formerly Ottawa, 1 seat rides make a lot of sense and work really well.
Toronto tried interlining and very quickly shut it down. Ottawa will soon learn and look for other options. Isn't Calgary doing the same thing too?
Seems like it is a bad thing for popular RT.
That's of course assuming that you have the fleet and manpower to maintain high frequencies outside the interlined sections. If you don't, then what difference does it make.

There are pros and cons to interlining and not interlining. You listed the cons of not interlining. What are the pros of not interlining?

Better than the LRT
This year, the LRT did good in that blizzard.

This year

Last year

Then its no longer effectively LRT. Now you have a metro that is gutted due to using LRVs for no good reason which only results in lower capacity. The most effective use in LRT technology is either as a light S-Bahn, or as an enhanced Streetcar. In both of these cases cars can get on the tracks no problem. The moment its entirely grade separated (which again there is no way in hell this will apply to London) its just a worse light metro.
Then use proper vehicles.
More expensive which leads to worse frequencies and a smaller network. All to get capacity that London doesn't need.
operating costs =/= construction costs
Density does not bring the ridership you think it does. Look at the TTC Subway. Compare Subway Stations that are in extremely dense areas with no bus connections like NYC and Wellesley, vs stations that have nothing around them but with major bus connections like York Mills. The latter get WAY more ridership than the former, because again, let me reiterate, DENSITY IS NOT THE BIGGEST CONTRIBUTOR OF RIDERSHIP. Hopefully I made that clear enough.

Of the 15 busiest stations, 6 of them do not have direct connections to anything, unless you count the streetcars that are not in the fare paid zones.
Of the 10 least used stations, 8of them need a transfer, and one does not even have bus service during the day.

However, if you look at the density of the areas around the stations, most are more dense than those where no RT exists. In fact, some of the stations on the Stubway have good ridership due to the TOD since it opened.
That's literally the whole point. The whole point of building transit is to get people from point A to point B as quickly as possible.If you're building transit for the sake of density, you're not serving anyone.
Are you building transit, or are you building Rapid transit? They are not the same thing. What does the R stand for in BRT or LRT or simply RT?
Brampton is spending money taxpayer money 1.5x to solve the problem both today and tomorrow.
The thing you're missing is converting a BRT to LRT is extremely easy. Once you have a dedicated Rapidway like York Region, the hard part is over. Utilities were relocated, the ROW was created, if they ever need to upgrade to LRT, you just shutdown the rapidway for a few months, lay down tracks, and build an MSF along the route. Not that expensive. The reason why its not LRT is because A) There isn't capacity to justify it, and B) The rapidways don't go far enough. Imagine if instead of building a BRT, they built an LRT on Yonge Street. If you're riding Viva Blue south, now everyone has to transfer at 19th gamble from a bus to an LRT, just to continue on their journey thus requiring a linear transfer. This will discourage ridership, and makes using the transit far less convenient. In the future when ridership is high enough to the point where the capacity brought by LRT is worth it, then we can begin discussing converting it to LRT, and extending the ROW north to newmarket.

The thing you fail to understand, and let me reiterate this, THERE IS NO PRACTICAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LRT AND BRT. The ONLY difference is that LRTs have more capacity, meanwhile BRTs have more flexibility. EVERY NEGATIVE YOU HIGHLIGHTED ABOUT BRTs APPLY TO LRTs, AND EVERY REASON YOU GAVE THAT MADE IT SEEM LIKE THOSE ISSUES DIDN'T APPLY TO LRT ALSO APPLY TO BRT. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you continue to argue the same points over and over again, then god help you. If you cannot understand what I just outlined in bold, then good luck out there, you're going to need it.
So, let me see if I understand what you really are saying. You want a lower capacity rapid transit built, only to rebuild it to a higher capacity rapid transit to save some money now, when, over the life of it, the money you spent now would be saved?
Nobody has suggested sprawl is smart. What you have failed to show is why only LRT can stop sprawl.
Most places do not build out their LRT to the edges of suburbia like Ottawa. Calgary and Edmonton, and even Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto didn't.Toronto's sprawl has other issues causing it, but look at the other cities.They have dense cores. They have growing densities near most of their stations. And they have less sprawl overall. So, when you pick a 'choo choo' It seems to be better. Fun fact, the most busy bus route, the 99 B Line in Vancouver does not actually travel through the most dense part of the city. It really isn't that dense along it. It is that busy because a Rt line has been desperately needed there but the city has built elsewhere to appease the voters. If London were to look at the busiest dections of their transit and build those to LRT standards, and keep doing that, it would have a great system and it would grow organically with the city to keep it a good city to live and work in.
I think you might be projecting here. In the age of Google maps, the likelihood of people not knowing where the bus stop is rather low. London isn't Toronto. But it's also not North Bay.
To prove me wrong, at Twilite Blvd and Heardcreek Trail, Where is the nearest bus stop?

How often does it run?

How many buses to Western U?
Well put. This is the exact mistake Ottawa made. They were so obsessed with LRT, that they missed the idea of a light metro entirely. They ended building a light metro using stretched streetcars effectively. And that decision has probably contributed to some of Ottawa's challenges.
That is because, like people on here with BRT, they were stuck on street running till the ,last minute. When they made the change, it was too late. Also known as Shortsightedness.
He's not actually unique here. Demanding that we massively overspend on transit is pretty common in Canada. Toronto is building expensive subway extension just because nobodycan really figure how to integrate GO and TTC, if we're honest about it. Ottawa is extending LRT to a literal parking lot in Orleans. The idea that savings on one line can help build another line, so that coverage can be increased, is beyond the comprehension of the average person apparently.
The problem is that Canadians have far too often seen the cheapening out by our politicians that we demand the most possible. If I knew within 10-20 years an LRT for the busiest parts of London's BRT was going to be built, I might agree to just BRT. But, I know that is not reality. So, I look to the far future and ask what would serve the city well for the next 50+ years. It ain't BRT.

Could you two take this offline? I don't think anyone else really cares about most of this - and there's pages and pages of it now.

Could you two take this offline? I don't think anyone else really cares about most of this - and there's pages and pages of it now.
Don't worry I'm done, I feel like a broken record at this point.

I wonder, how many of you live/lived in London and took/take transit.

I lived there about 5 years and took transit for most of that time. I lived about 2 km from downtown.

Explains why you don't think suburbanites should get any higher order transit.

"Got mine. F... ..."
I also lived in Concord and commuted to downtown Toronto. Near the Eatons Centre to be more precise.

So, about that suburbanite thing......

Back