News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 595     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 892     0 

Loblaws

Yonge/Yonge location was the first to get the Great Food makeover a few years back now, and from what I recall, it was a successful transition. Not sure where Millwood location fits into the discussion though.

Is there still a plan for whole foods, or something along those lines, in the condo development on Eglinton east near yonge (currently a parking lot) ?

Loblaw‘s Joe Fresh embarks on major international expansion

Marina Strauss - Retailing Reporter

The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Feb. 20 2014, 6:54 AM EST

Last updated Thursday, Feb. 20 2014, 12:27 PM EST

Fashion purveyor Joe Fresh is launching a major international expansion, adding 120 stores in 25 countries beyond North America over the next four years.

Grocery giant Loblaw Cos. Ltd., which makes Joe Fresh, will offer the line in countries in the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Korea – beyond the stores in which it is now sold in Canada and the United States.

The line will be made available through three international partnerships, Galen G. Weston, executive chairman of Loblaw, said on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Loblaw will also start to test e-commerce in the Toronto area for its food and consumers products, company president Vicente Trius told a conference call. The cyber-shopping will be modelled on a British system of having customers order their goods online and pick them up in stores. Loblaw will test the program in three of its Toronto area stores in 2014, Mr. Trius said.

The company’s net income fell to $127-million, or 45 cents per basic share in the fourth quarter ended December 28, from $139-million, or 49 cents per basic share, a year earlier.

Excluding some items, Loblaw earned 65 Canadian cents per basic share.

The company, whose $12.4-billion deal to buy Shoppers Drug Mart is expected to close this quarter, said total revenue rose 2.3 per cent to $7.64-billion.

Retail sales rose just 1.8 per cent while sales at established stores rose 0.6 per cent. Loblaw is also involved in property leasing and financial services.

Net interest and other financing charges jumped 68 per cent to $141-million.

Joe Fresh should find a different clothing factory, especially given how Rana Plaza (where their clothes were used to be made) collapsed with over a thousand dead. Loblaw should pay the people who cut and sew clothing in Bangladesh more. I would be willing to pay a dollar more for clothing if it is of higher quality and be made with fair trade labour.

Last edited:
Joe Fresh should find a different clothing factory, especially given how Rana Plaza (where their clothes were used to be made) collapsed with over a thousand dead. Loblaw should pay the people who cut and sew clothing in Bangladesh more. I would be willing to pay a dollar more for clothing if it is of higher quality and be made with fair trade labour.

Agreed. I would note that Loblaw is among a shockingly small number of the companies that used Rana Plaza that have offered compensation to the victims and their families. IIRC, I think it is also the only Canadian company to have signed the worker safety accord for garment factories in Bangladesh. Loblaw deserves some commendation or acknowledgement for those actions; it is sad to be praising a company for ensuring something basic like worker safety, but I do think Loblaw should be encouraged when it is among the few to take this initial step. It should also be encouraged to do more. I agree that Loblaw - as well as everyone else - show pay the people in Bangladesh who make the clothing more. We need to stop looking at clothing as a low cost, disposable product.

Joe Fresh ‘doubles’ garment business in Bangladesh in year after tragedy

Parent company Loblaw is providing compensation to victims of Rana Plaza collapse

Canadian retailer Joe Fresh is expanding its business in Bangladesh, almost one year after the deadly collapse of the garment factory building where some of its clothes were made, CBC’s the fifth estate has learned...

Curious as to what others think about Loblaws expanding their fresh ready-to-eat foods department. I've been seeing more and more people actually go to Loblaws to either sit down and eat or take home and eat. As long as they don't get ahead of themselves, I have no doubt this will be a success.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/08/02/loblaw-fresh-food/

loblaw-2.jpg

It's a Loblaws that's under construction.....The Madison condos.

Whole foods. I am also wondering this question.

Chloe

Whole Foods is opening on Bayview, north of Eglinton, so not exactly near Yonge.

Back