News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 433     0 

Leaside

technically still part of Leaside, i was at the site of the Thorncliffe Ski Jump this morning

foggy dawn picture shows Ontario Science Centre and E.T.Seton archery range, with West Don River in foreground
foggy-dawn.jpg

concrete rubble picture faces west from site of ski jump
concrete-rubble.jpg

map diagram shows location of ski jump, and the "runout area" that went down the side of the ravine wall into a U formed by a meander of the river
U.gif

Attachments

• concrete-rubble.jpg
    concrete-rubble.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 637
  • foggy-dawn.jpg
    foggy-dawn.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 673
  • U.gif
    U.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 621
another Leaside shot, cycling home --

wooden furniture, good condition, help yourself

commercial road and copeland street

wooden-furniture.jpg

i'm not sure what the "copeland pumping station" actually pumps... does anyone know?

my guess is that it's water, somehow related to Walmsley Brook, which passes underground right by that intersection

Attachments

• wooden-furniture.jpg
    wooden-furniture.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 654
Thanks for the pic of the ski jump site. I had read about it briefly in the past but never looked up where the exact site was.

Also, I wonder what is going on with the Coca Cola site since the construction site has been relatively quiet for a long time. I hope somehow Costco decides to pull out and something better is done with the land.

Wow. I'm very surprised. I expected the typical suburban grocery box building in a parking lot.

Last time when I was in the area, the site was still an empty lot. Yesterday I took a few pictures thinking that it's just another condo, but then I couldn't find the corresponding thread. After a quick google search it turned out to be a grocery store, which I didn't even know about. However I've read a few comments from concerned locals regarding the increased traffic generated by this development. I'm not familiar with traffic in this area, but I'd imagine it's pretty bad. Do you think the crosstown will address this?

Last time when I was in the area, the site was still an empty lot. Yesterday I took a few pictures thinking that it's just another condo, but then I couldn't find the corresponding thread. After a quick google search it turned out to be a grocery store, which I didn't even know about. However I've read a few comments from concerned locals regarding the increased traffic generated by this development. I'm not familiar with traffic in this area, but I'd imagine it's pretty bad. Do you think the crosstown will address this?

I don't think an additional grocery store here will make a big difference in traffic. It could steal some people from Metro (right at Eg & Bayview), maybe. The truth is though, if you add anything anywhere, someone will voice concerns about traffic.

I mean, in terms of traffic around this area in general, the crosstown LRT construction has made traffic pretty bad especially with the chock point at Laird-Brentcliffe TBM launch shaft.

I personally find it OK, but that's probably because I generally don't drive during rush hour. I know that spot of Eg is pretty bad now during rush hour. It's pretty bad now, but what can you do, it's a necessary part of growing the transit system. In a year or two there will be even more construction when Bayview & Mt Pleasant stations start preliminary construction. Metrolinx also opened a new office at Eg & Bayview strip mall.

Once the LRT is done, I think traffic will get better because of the construction going away and also freeing up a huge amount road capacity which buses currently occupy. If Eg Connects happens, it goes to 4 lanes instead of 4 + bus lane, but the removal of the buses from the road (which is a huge amount), will equalize it and allow traffic to flow smoother.

Long term though, I'm personally of the mindset that inevitably Toronto will keep growing, traffic will keep getting worse around the city, so big picture wise, having transit that can bypass that traffic will protect mobility.

So Eg Crosstown addresses it in terms of allowing people to get around without being stuck in traffic. Also the Crosstown allows people to go further west to Eg West station and use that branch of the subway rather than Yonge.

Hmm I don't think the traffic is that bad.

I'll probably apply for a job at Whole Foods when it opens, LOL. ;)

Good luck :)

Traffic on Bayview generally isn't bad aside from the stretch between Millwood and Eglinton because it's only one lane each way due to the parked cars on either side.

I think complaining about traffic is a norm in these types of areas whenever a new project is going up.

You should try Bayview during rush-hour. It is often backed up from Eglinton to about Sheppard with nary a fast(er) spot in-between.

From my experience, Avenue, Yonge and Bayview are all equally as bad from Eglinton up to the 401 as most people in that middle corridor between Allen Road and the DVP don't have that many options. Further to the west, you can choose Bathurst or the Allen Road. Further to the east, you can choose Leslie, DVP, Don Mills or Victoria Park. In any case, there's naturally going to be increased traffic with the new development going on at Bayview and Eglinton.

Huh? Leslie is usually packed solid from Lawrence to the 401. Don Mills is much better.

Don Mills would be even better if they simply opened up that carpool lane (3 passengers and up) since there are always solo drivers blasting down that lane without a care in the world. Not to de-rail this thread, but it needs to be enforced and people who shouldn't be in the carpool lane should get fined for abusing it at the expense of everyone else who abides by the rules of the road.

And to bring this back on topic, it's a good thing there are no car pool lanes in Leaside since so many drivers in the city disregard the designation anyway. :eek:

Well technically the bus/car pool lane is still there eastbound between Bayview and Rumsey on Eglinton. They haven't removed the signs. I usually ignore it since I make a right turn into Rumsey. That's ok, right? :)

I wish there was some way to get local exception for the no 4-6pm turns into local streets. It makes my life a real hassle and often have to do big detours just to get into Leaside.

Back