News   Aug 14, 2024
 652     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 828     1 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only people would may want to wait three days for delivery and pay $12 for the "privilege" would be those stuck in an apartment by their rear window with a broken leg.

rearwindow2.png

I get the appeal of ordering products and having them delivered to your local store, even if it means a 1-4 week wait. Not all of Ontario is Toronto, and there are a lot of places in the province that are not as well served by huge LCBO stores with deep selection. To the extent that helps one obtain a better selection without having to drive to the next town, that's a good service. Not sure why it takes 1-4 weeks, though. I suspect one could always do this (order specific items through one's local store), but at least one can now do it from the comfort of one's home and can avoid going into a store and finding a clerk to go through the catalogue with you.

And there may be some circumstances where the home delivery option works (e.g. having a party for which one is planning ahead, can avoid lugging cases of booze), for the most part it's not particularly appealing. I guess now that the infrastructure is in the place, they can work at improving delivery times (and, ideally, cut the fee).

When we lived in a small town, we frequently ordered in products so that's not a new service. The wait was because it would come with a scheduled delivery. It doesn't sound as though the on line option improves on that.

I mean a SMALL town. Where you saw the LCBO manager on the street, and said "hey, order me a case of that wine would you" ;) It only became an issue when they started designating stores and pre-determining what they would carry. Before that, local managers knew their customers and brought in what they wanted.

I mean a SMALL town. Where you saw the LCBO manager on the street, and said "hey, order me a case of that wine would you" ;) It only became an issue when they started designating stores and pre-determining what they would carry. Before that, local managers knew their customers and brought in what they wanted.

Lucy is on point (as is often the case).............. Any store in Ontario has always been allowed to bring in w/e product you want, as long as they could justify bringing in a whole case.

(you didn't necessarily have to buy the whole case yourself, but a manager had to be confident they could sell through)

The only exceptions were a very small number of vintages that the LCBO got very little of; those were typically reserved to a 2-3 stores through Ontario.

So the only add on as compared to the this, for the in-store option, is that you can now type in your order from home.

As a home consumer (as opposed to a restaurant), I don't see a huge benefit in the home option. I simply don't (routinely) want to order a large amount of wine, it doesn't add a lot
to my convenience.

A possible exception being Christmas, when hosting/gifting tends to result in larger purchases.

As conveniences go, I'd still like to see longer hours on Sunday at the retail level.

I prefer to buy my wine to go w/my dinner, and to shop just ahead of my meal........open till 8pm would be a meaningful improvement.

I think I disagree with the suggestion that the store-option isn't a big improvement (I do agree that Lucy is often on point!). Yes, people that live in Pleasantville could always talk to Debbie the LCBO manager when they bump into her over breakfast at Edna's diner or see her at that night's Kiwanis dinner. But for most of Ontario, that's not happening. Places like Peterborough, etc., where customers can really benefit from not having to go into the store, not needing to convince some manager to order a whole case, and can peruse the catalog in the comfort of their own home long after the closest LCBO has closed. Fact that they could kind of do the same thing in the past, by jumping through hoops, doesn't make this any less of an improvement. Having said that, it's way overdue, and LCBO should hardly be praised for having entered the 2010s.

In theory, online should be an improvement but government bureaucracy being what it is, they've made it inconvenient and convoluted. I can get same day delivery from Costco, why not from LCBO? ;) (ok, maybe not in Pleasantville!) I can get it delivered faster from Urbery and for $10 as compared to $12 (again, not in Pleasantville). In Pleasantville, I'll call the local taxi and get the driver to pick me up a bottle! If I'm going to order online, I'm more likely to do it from a wine supplier anyway.

I wasn't terribly surprised at reading that article. Regardless of the regulations associated with delivering alcohol (proof of age, for example), the delivery times are too long for 2016. People shop online for convenience -- this doesn't add much of that, so for most people, it's just as easy to continue going to the store to buy. It will be interesting to see if any changes are made or if the program is quietly dropped or just carries on as is.

Out in the Queen/Broadview area tonight..................and stubled on a banner strewn across a storefront 'LCBO, coming soon"

This would be the unit btw 774 and 780 Queen St. East, so either 776 0r 778. (it says 772 on the LCBO's corporate site, but I believe this was before the units were subdivided)

This is 2 blocks east of Broadview, north side.

Small area, 3000 sq ft, at a guess?

Dark inside, didn't look like fit-out was yet underway.

So perhaps a February opening?

I don't mind the LCBO but I can't stand the Beer store. They are grubby often with indifferent employees AND I believe it is owned by Coors+Labatts? Anybody? Not a pleasant retail experience. Also the Beer Store often take up prime real estate that could be put to better use and or at the very least be cheered up architecturally. As I said a dreary place.

LCBO workers vote overwhelmingly in favour of a strike

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...verwhelmingly-in-favour-of-a-strike-1.4085840

Liquor Control Board of Ontario staff have voted 93 per cent in favour of a strike as their union continues to bargain for a new collective agreement.
Voting by members of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union was held Monday and Tuesday.

Denise Davis, the head of the OPSEU bargaining team, says they will now return to negotiations with a strong mandate from the workers.

The vote was called by the union in late March after what they described as management's "complete lack of respect for workers."

The union has long railed against the government's move to sell beer, wine and cider in grocery stores, calling it "creeping privatization."

OPSEU president Warren (Smokey) Thomas says he hopes the strike vote will "wake up this management team to the reality of the situation."

"The people of Ontario built the LCBO, paid for the LCBO, and own the LCBO. We're not about to let the Wynne government destroy it through this piecemeal privatization."

The union represents 7,500 LCBO staff whose last contract expired on March 31.

OPSEU president Warren (Smokey) Thomas says he hopes the strike vote will "wake up this management team to the reality of the situation."

I think they should be more attuned to the reality of the situation - i.e. the public dissatisfaction with the current delivery system. A strike would be a great way to push privatization into the front burner of the next government, which could very well be far less sympathetic to their demand to be "respected".

AoD

My only problem with the LCBO is lack of product selection; I can get much more variety in a small-town Québec SAQ. Nobody needs walls of identical vodka bottles. I don't think privatizing it would improve this. However, as long as it remains government-owned, I would like it to deemphazise part-time work, which is becoming a plague in this country, so workers have my full support.

Back