News   Jul 15, 2024
 851     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The signs are up at the Park Lawn & Lake Shore LCBO store. Doesn't look like a pop-up store, looks permanent to me. It is in the building that does not front onto either Park Lawn or Lake Shore (the North one in behind, facing Metro).

Ontario, B.C., and Quebec uncork wine deal

Ontario imbibers will have unfettered access to British Columbia wine under historic deal by Premiers Kathleen Wynne and Christy Clark

See link.

Ontario consumers will finally have unfettered access to British Columbia wine under an historic deal inked by Premiers Kathleen Wynne and Christy Clark.

“The LCBO will be launching their e-commerce ‎site, which will mean people can go on a site, they can order B.C. wine and have it delivered by Canada Post to their home or they can pick it up at the LCBO,” she said.

But can I walk into the LCBO store to buy B.C. wine, without ordering it first?

B.C. and Quebec are foreign to Ontario, I guess. Wonder when we'll need to have passports to visit those provinces next, and vice-versa?

Seriously. Trade barriers between provinces are worse than international borders. It's nuts that it's easier to get a bottle of wine from California than it is from BC.

Meanwhile, there are lots of BC wines available at the LCBO, depending on how large the store is. I get it for restaurants and the like, but who cares about bulk buying on a personal basis? There are so many wines our there, why bulk order just one or a few?

What's more interesting to me is that Quebec has signed on, and Nova Scotia is thinking about it. I've had some good Nova Scotians recently, but have had nearly zero exposure to Quebec wines. Looking forward to some of theirs showing up at the LCBO or at restaurants.

They did a major reno this summer at that Sobey's so perhaps they planned for it.

Once again Mississauga is pretty screwed with these new locations selling wine (and beer previously).

Only 2 locations in Mississauga get to sell wine, whereas 5 in Vaughan get wine. How is that for geographic distribution?

Just looking at the map it's fairly obvious how low the density of the locations are in Mississauga.

i went to the Queen's Quay Sobeys location. They have dedicated an entire aisle of shelving facing an entire aisle of coolers for both beer and wine. Lots of product although the wine appears to be all Ontario. Good beer variety.

i went to the Queen's Quay Sobeys location. They have dedicated an entire aisle of shelving facing an entire aisle of coolers for both beer and wine. Lots of product although the wine appears to be all Ontario. Good beer variety.

Glad to see UT's intrepid waterfront area journalist on the case!

Many of the licenses are required to be 'Ontario' only for 3 years before opening up.

There is an excellent offering of Ontario whites I'd put up against just about any wine region; the reds are a bit thinner, but we're seeing an increasing number of high quality Pinot Noirs from these parts as well.

Glad to see UT's intrepid waterfront area journalist on the case!

Many of the licenses are required to be 'Ontario' only for 3 years before opening up.

There is an excellent offering of Ontario whites I'd put up against just about any wine region; the reds are a bit thinner, but we're seeing an increasing number of high quality Pinot Noirs from these parts as well.
It's interesting given that the Ontario wine shop is pretty much across the road.

I'm not a fan of Ontario reds ... our grape vines aren't old enough! I seldom drink whites so I'll keep shopping at the LCBO for now

Back