News   Apr 23, 2024
 545     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As per a different discussion thread, the Metro at College Park is overcrowded at it is; to both find shelving room and room for additional customers ........

I hope an expansion/reno is contemplated.

As per a different discussion thread, the Metro at College Park is overcrowded at it is; to both find shelving room and room for additional customers ........

I hope an expansion/reno is contemplated.

The place is falling apart, has the surliest staff and forget about getting fresh baked goods before 8 in the morning.

AoD

Where will we drop the empties when the beer stores all close?
They collect the empties for a fee and a far better solution (for the customer) would be that you could always return things for the deposit to the place you bought them. I am surrounded by LCBOs but live in a Beer Store desert!

Where will we drop the empties when the beer stores all close?

In the rest of the modern world, people take their empties back to the bottle return machines at the grocery stores. You can get either cash back or store credit.

bottle-return-machines.jpg

Which one is that?
Gerrard/Carlaw? I don't find it particularly better, than, say, Front/Sherbourne. Gerrard/Carlaw has become my preferred location now that Front/Sherbourne has axed its free underground parking though. I don't particularly care for fighting for a parking spot in the tiny surface lot. Gerrard/Carlaw is a pretty big store though, bigger than any other No Frills I can think of.

Lansdowne is pretty nice as well, but i've only been once or twice.

In some states, empties just go into recycling.
It happens here too. I knew someone who worked for Millar waste, and supplemented his income by picking out Beer/Liquor bottles out of curbside blue bins. Millar frowned upon this practice, as they lost money, but employees still did it.

It happens here too. I knew someone who worked for Millar waste, and supplemented his income by picking out Beer/Liquor bottles out of curbside blue bins. Millar frowned upon this practice, as they lost money, but employees still did it.

The men and women who rummage around in blue bins on residential streets on recycling day are the most obvious sign that people toss some of these bottles away.

In some states, empties just go into recycling.

@PinkLucy and @gabe are both on point.

If the objective is recycling as opposed to reuse, then putting the contents in your blue bin is just fine; with automated machines being an option which can provide
some cash-back for those who wish (the benefit for gov't/retail being accurate sorting and low contamination rates.)

If, however, the objective is reuse then that's different, and blue bins are not really workable.

It should be noted there is no reuse currently for wine bottles, liquor bottles or beer cans. Reuse is limited entirely to beer bottles.

Reactions: DSC
The states that I am familiar with don't offer cash back, so bottles go in the blue bin because there is no other choice.

I was on a bike trip last summer in eastern Ohio (Appalachia) and we stayed at a hotel that was offering free beer and tacos (gotta love US liquor laws). As we were cleaning up I asked where the recycling was for the beer cans - I got a blank stare. No diversion of any kind; all into the landfill.

Back