News   Apr 16, 2024
 136     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 334     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 693     0 

LCBO Moves - Rumoured and confirmed

Has anyone seen renders/pictures of the new LCBO Express kiosks they are going to put in select grocery stores this year?

Not yet. I still haven't heard what the 10 selected grocery stores are.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4G 3B4

Ward 22: St. Paul's

Application#: 13 136568 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Mar 20, 2013

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing vacant space - new tenant is "LCBO"

Big banner on the former Blockbuster Video site at 1522 Bayview announcing the LCBO's imminent arrival.

As I mentioned in the supermarket thread, I heard this afternoon the Sobeys is closing its Annex Urban Fresh store on Bloor and LCBO is moving in. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for confirmation.

That's an extremely logical in-fill location for them.

I would peg Sherbourne/Bloor, Broadview/Queen, Woodbine/Danforth as other key fill-ins where I have yet to hear of any new locations forthcoming.

The LCBO also needs a presence at the western end of Habourfront/Railwaylands and is long rumoured to be coming into the new Loblaws development at Bathurst/Lakeshore.

After that it needs to focus on redeveloping a slew of locations which are either dated/overcrowded or offer poor selection......

Bloor/Ossington
Coxwell/O'Connor
Chinatown (Spadina/Baldwin)
Yonge/Wellesley
Atrium
Victoria Park/Danforth

There Y&E location seems small

That's an extremely logical in-fill location for them.

I would peg Sherbourne/Bloor, Broadview/Queen, Woodbine/Danforth as other key fill-ins where I have yet to hear of any new locations forthcoming.

The LCBO also needs a presence at the western end of Habourfront/Railwaylands and is long rumoured to be coming into the new Loblaws development at Bathurst/Lakeshore.

After that it needs to focus on redeveloping a slew of locations which are either dated/overcrowded or offer poor selection......

Bloor/Ossington
Coxwell/O'Connor
Chinatown (Spadina/Baldwin)
Yonge/Wellesley
Atrium
Victoria Park/Danforth

Coxwell/O'Connor has needed a renovation for over a decade. Ditto for Greenwood/Danforth. Bloor/Ossington is both dated and in need of an expansion.

I wonder if Woodbine/Danforth is warranted? There are two nearby in the aforementioned locations. While the area is slowly gentrifying it is more family-oriented and less the DINK, 30-somethings demo that LCBO seems to be targeting with their most recent expansions.

I was playing around with the LCBO store search feature and noticed you could select 10:00 pm for the "open later than." I fully expected it to return no choices, but was surprised there is a single store in Toronto open until 11:00pm Monday to Saturday. It is listed as LCBO #1. Was it really the first retail store? Why is this the single LCBO to exist with these hours?

Coxwell/O'Connor has needed a renovation for over a decade. Ditto for Greenwood/Danforth. Bloor/Ossington is both dated and in need of an expansion.

I wonder if Woodbine/Danforth is warranted? There are two nearby in the aforementioned locations. While the area is slowly gentrifying it is more family-oriented and less the DINK, 30-somethings demo that LCBO seems to be targeting with their most recent expansions.

My take has to to do with walking and/or transit distance. For me, I own a car so this is far less of an issue. However, I had good friends living not far from Woodbine/Danforth and they found the nearest locations a total hassle as non-drivers.

For them, Coxwell/O'Connor, meant walking to Woodbine Stn, subway to Coxwell, bus to O'Connor and return, bit far for a bottle of wine to go w/dinner when you consider that trip w/waits was over 30min each way, or 1 hour round trip.

Vic. Park Danforth was no better, because they would walk to Main, transfer to a bus that wasn't all that frequent, so a big wait or a rush-hour crowd was in order, and the time consumed was almost as bad. Subway to Vic. Park meant an uphill walk to Danforth about 2 blocks away, not a huge deal in ideal weather, but less than pleasant in anything else.

While Greenwood was not only a 2-stop subway ride, the station is actually at Linsmore, and so you would have to walk 2 blocks to Greenwood, and the LCBO was in fact 1/2 a block beyond that.

There are no LCBOs on Woodbine itself, and none on Danforth from Vic Park to Greenwood and none on Gerrard (the next major street south) in the same area.

Back