News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

The point is that since there's no wifi in the tunnels, you need to constantly reconnect and disconnect during the 30 seconds that you're in the stop. The reason that there isn't cell service in the tunnel is really more the fault of the Big 3 than the TTC, the TTC wanted to make money off the cell service so they put out an open bid for paying them the rights to exclusively install the signalling in the tunnels. An Australian company BAI outbid Bell, but the big 3 are boycotting it since they don't want to pay BAI's rates, so they're waiting until BAI's contract expires (BAI needs to get 60% of the cell market on its network within a set timeframe) so they can just do it themselves.

The other problem is their wifi hand-offs. I think they have gone a bit cheap on the infrastructure. Bluesocket and other brands have worked really hard at making the hand-offs efficiently. And if you are temporarily in a dead-zone to reconnect quickly. Think of your wifi at a convention 10 years ago. Every time you moved you had to reconnect. But now you can walk around without a problem. And when you are in an elevator you come out and it automatically reconnects.

Getting back on topic on fencing & barriers. Most cities with a large amount of pedestrians use them to control the movement at key intersections. To stop jaywalking or to control where cars stop to drop people off. It's an evolution of our pedestrian volume that we might need them sooner or later.

A long section of Cote Vertu actually has fencing, between Bertrand and Decarie, but I think the city is installing more.
Ah yes. Gosh, that's unfortunate, as it becomes residential, with long distances between lights. It's one thing in rush hour, but quite another when it's quiet - even in Streetview, you can see easy-to- cross gaps. BUT This is a suburban 6-lane artery, and dual carriageway with 2 of the lanes being HOV. It's much more similar to Don Mills Road north of Overlea, or Kingston Road east of Midland. I don't like it, but I'd never say there'd never be something similar on such roads in Toronto.

I would have posted a streetview of R-L but the fencing is recent (within the last 3 years), so you can see the construction on streetview but not the full fence.
Interesting, haven't seen it. But typically, I walk under Dorchester than over. But again - 6-lane divided, like University - which wouldn't shock me if it had a fence one day, as sad as that would be.

St. Catherine is one-way, though, so it's inherently safer for pedestrians. And there isn't a major transit route that needs to be sped up.
Though I feel far safer crossing Queen and King mid-block than I do Richmond and Adelaide mid-block! Though St. Catherine isn't really comparable to either really. It's more like if Yonge was one-way with parking on both sides.

No love the the 15 bus I see ... if it's still around.

St. Catherine street doesn't have fences but it has bollards! It would be nice to see this treatment, with the sidewalk flush to the street, bollards, and granite pavers given to sections of King, especially for TIFF. Bollards would be a good substitute for fencing, something to put a psychological barrier marking the boundary between where the streetcar lanes are and the rest of the street. Of course a dark granite strip marking the boundary of the streetcar lane would be a nice touch.
Ah, I haven't seen that. That looks like Market Street, except on a bigger scale. Hmm, I see you've chosen just about the only view that doesn't have red plastic no parking signs on top of the bollards - my gosh are those ugly. I'm not sold on that being a huge improvement with those ugly signs.. But very interesting.

Sherbrooke is getting a makeover too, why can't Toronto streets get a similar treatment/facelift?
The grass is always greener. Each city has it's pluses and minuses. You might see this, but those of us who've lived there, know just how badly maintained many of the side streets are, with crumbling asphalt that should have been replaced years ago, and sidewalks long past it. Some really ugly construction - often because the mafia controlled both the construction industry and planning/approval process. And then there was the 30+ years it took to complete McGill-College. And of course the linguistic bigotry - but that's a discussion for elsewhere. But nice to see St. Catherines getting a make-over - though I wonder if this is more for the tourists, than the citizens. But if they keep going east, at least it will improve the working environment for sex workers.

The point is that since there's no wifi in the tunnels, you need to constantly reconnect and disconnect during the 30 seconds that you're in the stop. The reason that there isn't cell service in the tunnel is really more the fault of the Big 3 than the TTC, the TTC wanted to make money ...
??? The reason that there is no wifi in the tunnels, is they are doing the stations first. They haven't finished yet, that's all. Should be done end of next year:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/01/wifi-coming-ttc-subway-tunnels-2018/[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Even in Ottawa, they're designing the stations to have fencing as a safety feature. We should consider fencing on the surface streetcar (and future light rail) stations and stops.
I don't think you can compare what is essentially a subway station, with no reason to need to walk from one platform to the other - to King Street, which has intersections that require you to walk through traffic.

St. Catherine street doesn't have fences but it has bollards! It would be nice to see this treatment, with the sidewalk flush to the street, bollards, and granite pavers given to sections of King, especially for TIFF. Bollards would be a good substitute for fencing, something to put a psychological barrier marking the boundary between where the streetcar lanes are and the rest of the street.
Legal liability prerequisites alone will demand this or more. Unless...safety is mandated from the other direction: Imposed slow order on streetcars. Which is exactly what this whole pilot is intended to countermand.
[...] And all (proposals) are intended, first and foremost, to “move people” by giving priority on the road to streetcars, according to Toronto general manager of transportation Barbara Gray and chief planner Jennifer Keesmaat.

“Transit first is the frame around which we’re going to lead this decision,” Gray says.

“The objective is to create a transit priority corridor. The objective isn’t to create a car-free corridor,’” Keesmaat says. “It’s about being transformational, improving streetcar operations, and innovative placemaking.”
[...]
option-c--transit-promenade-zoom.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x582.jpg

The “Transit Promenade” option would see the sidewalk extended into the road on both sides for public realm improvements, while allowing local, right-turn-only car access in both directions — cars would be forbidden to drive straight through at intersections, forcing right turns at the end of each block.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/02/13/king-st-plans-still-leave-room-for-cars-keenan.html

Last edited:
Even in Ottawa, they're designing the stations to have fencing as a safety feature. We should consider fencing on the surface streetcar (and future light rail) stations and stops.
Queens Quay has a fence between it, well more of a wall plus a pedestrian crossing to get from one side to the other because of the elevator.

Queens Quay is an underground station. The question is should we have the same on the surface?
Yes I know s was the example from Ottawa I don't think they are necessary on the street plus I doubt there is space for them all of our streetcars are prty wide with not much space between them, that's why they ring the bell when they pass each other to worn people not to get between them.

They should introduce fencing on the Eglinton LRT. There will be people crossing at the other end of the platform just like they do on Spadina and St Clair.

They should introduce fencing on the Eglinton LRT. There will be people crossing at the other end of the platform just like they do on Spadina and St Clair.
I don't relly think it's necessary down the middle maybe along the right of way to keep people from crossing the street by using the right of way.

I don't relly think it's necessary down the middle maybe along the right of way to keep people from crossing the street by using the right of way.
More like keeping people from crossing in front of traffic to catch the next train.

Wonder if we'll finally use red arrows on traffic signals?

I wish people were more civilized here. Streetcars and people can co-exist on the same street with minimum traffic signals. Here, we're worried that visually impaired people can't cross the road.

More like keeping people from crossing in front of traffic to catch the next train.

I wish people were more civilized here. Streetcars and people can co-exist on the same street with minimum traffic signals. Here, we're worried that visually impaired people can't cross the road.

Here, we have to post signage (in English) to explain that this traffic signal is for transit and this one is for the motor vehicle. Elsewhere, the traffic signals are different for each and there is no visual pollution signage. Note in the video, there are very little signage in German, but someone from North American can understand the signals.

Wonder if we'll finally use red arrows on traffic signals?

Why are you wondering that? You know it requires an amendment to the provincial Highway Traffic Act, which clearly isn't going to happen for a pilot. If we did get anything added it would be a greater array of transit signals, but again it's just a pilot so it's not going to happen.

Besides, red arrows are only used with fully-protected traffic signals, which are not necessary in the proposed pilot design. Cars turn from the streetcar tracks, not across them.

Look how fast those trams go over the turns. Our trams are not allowed to turn that quickly and crawl across any switches, curves or turns.

Here, we have to post signage (in English) to explain that this traffic signal is for transit and this one is for the motor vehicle. Elsewhere, the traffic signals are different for each and there is no visual pollution signage. Note in the video, there are very little signage in German, but someone from North American can understand the signals.

Having learned to drive in Europe, that’s a big pet peeve of mine. Do traffic planners really think it’s reasonable for a driver to read several lines of small text and look at their watch to determine if they can turn left?

112857_1.jpg

This is a hazard because it forces people to take their eyes off the road to first read a sign in small print, then look away to check the time at the most dangerous point of a road.

I’ve been seeing the new electronic “No Left Turn” signs but they’ve kept the written sign too, adding even more visual clutter. Ontario needs a complete overhaul of our road signage.

Back