News   Jul 30, 2024
 39     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 705     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 526     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Oslo is a fantastic city - but - a beer costs betweeh $15-20, thanks to taxation. Most expensive city I have visited.

Just saying.

- Paul

Norway is planning to phase out fossil-fuelled vehicles within one decade.

No wonder why Norway has the most electric vehicles per capita in the world.

BOYCOTT INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE CAR COMMERCIALS! Those make up the vast majority of car commercials in the world.

PROMOTE ELECTRIC CAR COMMERCIALS!

This video does not really show much info, just an invitation to the public meeting.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 9.15.34 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 9.15.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 9.15.34 AM.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 321
Keesmaat inadvertently revealed that the most popular "Alternating Loops" option was not chosen. She says that streetcar murals will be integrated into the plan. That means that there will still be a car lane for pedestrians to cross at streetcar stops. Alternating Loop brought the sidewalk right up to the streetcar at stops.

9J0Rp2l.jpg

It's either separated lanes or transit promenade. The first keeps King's narrow sidewalks which are completely unsuitable for the growing pedestrian population on King and the second forces cars to drive in streetcar lanes, maintaining the status quo.

Leave it up to this city to screw up transit plans.

Unless the murals are meant to represent the extended sidewalk, which would be faster & cheaper than pouring new concrete since this is only a pilot? (Not that I don't share your cynicism w/r/t the City and transit.)

Let's see. It could be a mix of several options at different parts of King Street, especially since it's a pilot.

Good point. They may be looking at implementing a range of configurations at various points along the line to test if one performs better than another.

Hopefully these design murals prove popular enough that they're implemented on the other streetcar routes that aren't subject to this pilot. Given that they're a pretty low-cost safety measure, I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Keesmaat inadvertently revealed that the most popular "Alternating Loops" option was not chosen. She says that streetcar murals will be integrated into the plan. That means that there will still be a car lane for pedestrians to cross at streetcar stops. Alternating Loop brought the sidewalk right up to the streetcar at stops.

9J0Rp2l.jpg

It's either separated lanes or transit promenade. The first keeps King's narrow sidewalks which are completely unsuitable for the growing pedestrian population on King and the second forces cars to drive in streetcar lanes, maintaining the status quo.

Leave it up to this city to screw up transit plans.

I still maintain that the relief line should have went on King where it's more densely populated, and the transit mall on Queen where a car free solution could have actually been feasible. Somehow Keesmaat managed to get it completely backwards.

Let's see. It could be a mix of several options at different parts of King Street, especially since it's a pilot.

I specifically asked that very question at the first public meeting. I asked if it made sense to try all three options on different parts of King. They full on rejected that idea, saying that the study area is small and that they wanted to test the chosen option along the full span.

Unless the murals are meant to represent the extended sidewalk, which would be faster & cheaper than pouring new concrete since this is only a pilot? (Not that I don't share your cynicism w/r/t the City and transit.)

This is what they did in New York along Broadway when they narrowed it.

the pilot won't actually install new infrastructure beyond bollards and paint. The murals likely will not be in live vehicle lanes due to issues with the HTA, so I imagine quite contrary to Metroman's conclusion, that they have in fact selected alternating loops. The murals will be painted on the extended sidewalk to improve the public realm, I bet.

The murals likely will not be in live vehicle lanes due to issues with the HTA, so I imagine quite contrary to Metroman's conclusion, that they have in fact selected alternating loops. The murals will be painted on the extended sidewalk to improve the public realm, I bet.

To the contrary, Keesmaat is pushing for these so called "streetcar safety murals" as of last November. They will be installed directly on the road, and I assume will include other routes besides King.

CyOPLNvWEAA8QoF.jpg-large.jpg

Article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/streetcar-safety-murals-toronto-1.3870025

Attachments

• CyOPLNvWEAA8QoF.jpg-large.jpg
    CyOPLNvWEAA8QoF.jpg-large.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 472
I really just want to see separated streetcar lanes with much better transit signaling priority. The problem all along has been the outrageous public transit travel times on King and the inability of the streetcar in its current form to respond to high ridership... I really don't care for any widening of the sidewalks if this is going put the streetcars in the same lanes with the cars. Let's just focus on the actual problem here, instead of throwing in a bunch of peripheral improvements. Sidewalks could be better but they are fine.

Last edited:
Toronto is afraid to do anything that will slow down (or appear to slow down) cars.

Back