News   Jul 16, 2024
 114     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 574     2 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I’m not seeing any reports of congestion at Spadina or Jarvis so far
Looking out my window I note:

1. Things do seem to be moving smoothly......virtually no vehicle traffic at all on King (and that that there is is seems to be well aware of the new rules and following them (no surprise here because if you work/drive downtown regularly then you have been made aware of this for a while....the shit show on Friday night through Sunday are a lot of folks who are not down here every day));
2. While the above is something to be optimistic about, the real test begins tomorrow....don't forget, Toronto is still largely a government and banking town.....both of those sectors are off work today
3. King looks weird and it is too bad we did not give a real try at just enforcing the old rules of no cars in streetcar lanes and no left turns and no parking during rush hour.....streetcars in left lanes and cars in right lanes during peak times maximizes the capacity of the road as built......it may have been necessary to get the point across but what we have had to create to get the streetcars moving just represents a purposeful waste of capacity....and in a city desperately short of capacity that seems sad.

It is Remembrance Day today so banks and government offices are closed. The commute is lighter for for everyone. That said, it was a good decision to start this program on a light traffic day like today.

While the above is something to be optimistic about, the real test begins tomorrow....don't forget, Toronto is still largely a government and banking town.....both of those sectors are off work today

This is wrong. Only federally-regulated employees are off work. The provincial government (the "government" you're talking about) is still open, the stock and bond markets are open, and a lot of bank employees are working today.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get some info on how much the route cycle times on King have dropped. I'm interested to know how much this pilot has shaved off of that time.
This is going to be an interesting point, and not just about time, which would be pretty hard to beat v Adelaide or Richmond. The real question, and this pertains to a number of cyclists 'enjoying the ride' (Adelaide and Richmond are no places for Old Men and Women) is the *safety* factor.

My sense is that until cyclists are accommodated (if at all) to by-pass/cut through the streetcar stop areas (a discussion on safety in itself, as many cyclists don't stop for TTC passengers loading and unloading) and seeing how much the re-directed traffic affects Adelaide and Richmond, the cycling jury is out.

We're not going to be seeing much accommodation if any at all for cyclists in a pilot project, as it will take hard infrastructure to do it properly.

My major concern for cyclists in the present iteration remains allowing them left turn and through access without dismounting at intersections. That's a recipe for disaster for reasons discussed prior. I firmly believe there should be *no exceptions*...for anyone, taxis or bikes, save emergency and maintenance vehicles, and of course, the TTC.

In fact, to encourage faster cycling time along King is counterproductive to what King should be all about: Better streetcar time and punctuality, and safer pedestrian access. Bike access yes. Bike through travel? No, unless at a sedate and considerate speed for the pedestrians affected.

Melbourne's Bourke Street Mall and a number of other successful ones, ridden bikes are banned in the central sections. There are racks on the sidewalks, but you push your bike to them. (Bourke Street still has some issues with traffic light sequence and priority, now being addressed)

Edit to Add: Sydney is shaping up to be even more restrictive than Melbourne:
9 November 2017
Row brewing over George Street bike ban

Bikes are to be banned from George Street, one of Sydney’s key bike commuter routes.

It appears that the ban has been plotted by the State Government under the cover of its light rail project.

The ban will apply from next year when the government introduces what it describes as a "pedestrian zone” along the tram street.

Cars, trucks and motorcycles, will all still be permitted in the street. Only bikes will be banned.

The government says residents, workers and businesses need to be able to get to their premises along the street, so they will be allowed in and out – if they have a motor vehicle.

However, if you are a resident, worker or delivery person on a bike, you will be banned and could face fines.

It is evident from the previously full bike racks that line George Street, bike counts and the busy end of trip facilities in the precinct, that bikes are important to the street’s commercial health.

The bike ban also undermines actions of the freight division of Transport for NSW, who have provided a courier hub to transfer items from vans to bike couriers to deliver to city businesses more quickly and efficiently.

With a bike ban in place, these deliveries will still need to be made by van on George Street, creating spaces where delivery drivers continue to mix in pedestrian spaces.

Transport for NSW’s own CBD and South East Light Rail Project Pedestrian and Cyclist Network and Facilities strategy states that the project should consider “encouraging an increased pedestrian and cycle mode share”.

And yet opposite is enacted within the same document: “George Street will no longer be available [for bicycle riders] after completion and during operation of the CSELR.”

Consideration is made of ‘desire lines’ of optimal pedestrian movements, which is appropriate for an urban traffic plan, but the desire lines of bike riders is entirely overlooked.

Without George Street, bike access to a large sector of the CBD is discouraged and limited due to poor connections.

More Sydney streets face bike bans
George Street however, is not the only street facing bike bans.

Other established riding routes along the light rail corridor see bikes excluded, or de-priotised without the provision of viable alternatives.

Devonshire Street, for instance, “would no longer be designated as a cycle route following the completion of the CSELR project.”

Devonshire Street is the best connection for people who ride bikes between Bourke Street, Moore Park and Central Station and the suggested alternative route is in no way equivalent in connectivity, quality or directness.

Reasons for bike exclusion
The reason given for excluding bike riders from George Street and Devonshire Street is that, “there is a perceived safety risk with cyclists riding along the track alignment”.

This is clearly nonsense as bicycles will still be allowed along other sections of George Street where there will be tracks, as well as on Chalmers Street.

The NSW government even proposes a bike route along tram tracks on narrow Hay Street.

Likewise, statements that claim there is currently no significant cyclist traffic along George Street, and that there are safe alternatives to George Street, are unfounded.

If the light rail corridor cannot accommodate bike riders and displaces established and significant bike riding routes, at the very least, alternative quality bike routes must be established as part of the Light Rail Project. [...]
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsroom/2017/11/09/george-street-bike-ban/

This is a controversy that might be used...*misused*...by some Toronto councillors. Cyclists might be wise to 'tread carefully' (pun fully intended) on how they push a cycling agenda for King Street. The safety of pedestrians must come first.

Last edited:
This is wrong. Only federally-regulated employees are off work. The provincial government (the "government" you're talking about) is still open, the stock and bond markets are open, and a lot of bank employees are working today.
I did not have to google this because well, of my >30 years in the workforce about half have been with banks and Remembrance Day (or the monday folllowing if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday) was always a holiday.....and the years that I have not worked in banking...it has always been "much easier commute day".....but perhaps you might "google it" before being so firm in your statements about "right and wrong"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-closed-november-13-1.4399448

What's closed:
  • Federal and provincial government offices

• Canada Post (no regular collection or delivery of mail)

• Banks (TD Canada Trust, Royal Bank of Canada, Scotiabank, CIBC, BMO and WFCU)

• Art Gallery of Ontario

• Hockey Hall of Fame

According to this, provincial government office and banks are closed, although you can buy beer and trade stocks: https://z1035.com/today-stat-holiday-open-closed/

According to this, provincial government office and banks are closed, although you can buy beer and trade stocks: https://z1035.com/today-stat-holiday-open-closed/
and, according to our treasury desk here, there is no market in government of Canada bonds (we get a 10 a.m. update daily on the yields of the bonds...today's just said "no market today".).

but, of course, you and i are just wrong because, well, someone said so.

Walking on King St right now to see what the situation is like. The street is pretty quiet, but there are more vehicles going straight through the intersections than making right turns. The yellow markers on the road aren't very clear, and once cars are in the left lane at a light, it's too late to make a right turn.

Edit: As I continue to walk west from Yonge to Bathurst, I can't believe how quiet the street is! Even on a semi-holiday, it would usually be way busier at this time.

Edit2: Tons of cops between Spadina and Bathurst stopping everyone. Now it makes sense why the street is so quiet.

Last edited:
From the MTO driver's handbook (couldn't find a pedestrian handbook), at this link:

When you face a flashing green light or a left-pointing green arrow and a green light, you may turn left, go straight ahead or turn right from the proper lane. This is called an advanced green light because oncoming traffic still faces a red light.

Pedestrians must not cross on a flashing green light unless a pedestrian signal tells them to.

3-2-5.jpg

If the green arrow is NOT flashing, pedestrians could still cross.

Pedestrians don't cross based on traffic signals--traffic signals are for cars and bicycles. They cross based on pedestrian signals. If there is a green left or right arrow, pedestrians get a don't walk signal, no exceptions. If there is a walk signal, there is no green arrow.

Pedestrians don't cross based on traffic signals--traffic signals are for cars and bicycles. They cross based on pedestrian signals. If there is a green left or right arrow, pedestrians get a don't walk signal, no exceptions. If there is a walk signal, there is no green arrow.
Anyone know just what the traffic signal phases are yet? It's a very important point, not least that most pedestrians don't look before crossing, and with impatient and self aggrieved motorists making rushed right hand turns, pedestrians are more vulnerable than ever. Ideally, there should be at least a few seconds delay before pedestrians are flashed a crossing light to get the right-turning vehicles to fully stop first.

Traffic light sequence, priority and timings are going to be crucial to reducing conflict.

So from my vantage point, I would say there is good but far from absolute compliance with the new rules.

There is very little traffic along King Street at either York or University compared to normal.

I have witnessed a number of cars go straight through the intersections, two thirds of which have been cabs. Give an inch, take a mile?

I have seen some cars avoid the yellow line marked off area, and others ignore.

Here are a few pics taken around 11 am. I'll probably still be at the office during the evening rush, so will try to take some more then.

King & York, looking empty:

IMG_20171113_111329.jpg

King & University - streetcar using new far side stop:

IMG_20171113_111424.jpg

King & University, looking pretty dead:

IMG_20171113_111556.jpg

King and University, cars disobeying new rules, but still little traffic:

IMG_20171113_111727.jpg

I think the most important thing is to give it time. I bet a lot of the cars disobeying were unaware of the new rules and planned a route that cannot be accommodated easily with the change and panic as they arrive at intersections, ultimately choosing to disobey. As they get used to the changes, such drivers would take an alternate route.

I would also be interested to know if the new restrictions have been captured on google maps, apple navigation, waze, and other route-planning apps yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20171113_111329.jpg
    IMG_20171113_111329.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20171113_111424.jpg
    IMG_20171113_111424.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20171113_111556.jpg
    IMG_20171113_111556.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20171113_111727.jpg
    IMG_20171113_111727.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 296
In general, you really need to do some fact-checking before you post.

Back