News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 551     0 

Join Israel boycott, CUPE tells members

Which version of Genesis are you referring to? I hope it's not the early stuff with Peter Gabriel.

angry007-02.gif

^See where these conversations on religion end up taking us?

Which version of Genesis are you referring to? I hope it's not the early stuff with Peter Gabriel.
Fair enough, I was making fun of the post-Gabriel band.

A true c1977 punk rocker would think likewise of the Gabriel-era band, remember...

Oh I do, I just didn't want to hurt Ganja's feelings. :lol

You don't even need the Old Testament.
You certainly do if you're part of any of the established traditional churches, such as Roman Catholic, Anglican, United, etc. The Old Testament is the foundation of these churches, upon which they build the New Testament, and you'll rarely if ever find a bible in these churches that contains only the New Testament.

Again, I say do what makes you happy, but always make your decisions with knowledge. IMO, it's just not a good way of thinking to take parts of the bible as worthy, and disregard whole entire parts without reading them yourself. IMO, before you enter a Judeo-Christian church, you should know your material. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks for quoting out of context. In response to a discussion about the multitude of rules in Old Testament books, I originally said:

"You don't even need the Old Testament. A quick reading of Matthew will show you the multitude of rules and lessons right out of the teachings of Jesus that "good Christians" like Pat Robertson seem to have no problem ignoring."

Never did I state that any Christian Church ignores the Old Testament. That said, I think most would disagree with your assertion that "The Old Testament is the foundation of these churches, upon which they build the New Testament". The foundation of Christianity is the New Testament, along with which the Old Testament provides context. You shouldn't have any problem finding a bible with just the New Testament at a church, they usually look like this.

Is that pro-Israel Cal or pro-Israeli woman? There is a difference.

If a condamnation of 'homosexuality', or sodomy more specifically, is so fundamental to christian dogma why does it not appear directly in the ten commandments as a principal tenet or as part of the covenant?

It is enormously problematic to go wading in the muddy waters of hermeneutics, claiming that one has *the* answer to the meanings therein. It is the very divergence of opinions and differing of interpretations that lead to the varied schools of thought, belief systems and 'churches' that call themselves, with equal certainty of righteousness, christian. To claim that the UCC is somehow mistaken in its interpretation of christianity is simply an indefensible position.

If a condamnation of 'homosexuality', or sodomy more specifically, is so fundamental to christian dogma why does it not appear directly in the ten commandments as a principal tenet or as part of the covenant?
There are dozens of commandments in the bible beyond the popular ten. IIRC, the bible's stance of homosexuality is quite clear.

Again, I say go with what makes you happy, but always go with knowledge. To walk into a Judeo-Christian church without knowing the material is folly, IMO.

Back