News   Apr 16, 2024
 374     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 391     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 748     0 

John Street Revitalization

Just to get this in here--I don't buy this idea that Adam Vaughan is somehow "lefty". Those may be the circles he hangs out with, but his campaigns to rid his ward of "undesirable" people and businesses is about as far from progressive "lefty" tolerance as I could possibly imagine. Populist might be a better term.

True; and don't forget that he was the *anti*-NDP candidate last time.

Still, when the "undesirables" are 905 club trash as opposed to the more indigenous Alexandra Parkers, one can understand the appeal to voters. And if he gets knocked out, it'll likely be by another left-of-centre easy-on-the-status-quo standard-bearer--and as for those who don't vote, maybe they find the status quo doesn't anger them enough to vote against it...

Last edited:
Hello John Street Stakeholders,

The City of Toronto, in association with the Toronto Entertainment District Business Improvement Area, is undertaking a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (EA) Study to examine potential improvements to the public realm of John Street consistent with concepts outlined in the Toronto Entertainment District Master Plan.

The John Street Corridor, from the Art Gallery of Ontario to the Waterfront, is designated as a Cultural Corridor. Given this corridor’s importance in linking many of the City’s recognizable cultural landmarks, the EA study will assess and evaluate opportunities to enhance the cultural significance along this route and improve pedestrian facilities between Stephanie Street and Front Street West.

- Public Meeting -

We invite you to attend a Public Open House to learn more about the work completed to date and the next steps in this process. Details are as follows:

Date: Thursday, June 17, 2010
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

- More Information -

For more information about this project, please visit http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/john

Or contact:

Harold Madi
The Planning Partnership
1255 Bay Street, Suite 201
Toronto, ON M5R 2A9
Tel: 416-975-1556 ext. 249
Fax: 416-975-1580
TTY: 416-397-0831
johnst@toronto.ca

I can't believe the pedestrian-only proposal came out as the least preferred option. It seems like a no-brainer here. I mean, if I have a heart attack, I would want EMS to respond quickly don't get me wrong, but does the city always have to reject pedestrian only streets almost out of hand because of the impact on emergency response times?

Follow the link in Khristopher's post above. Scroll down on the website until you hit the "Get Involved" subheading. Click on the 4th PDF under "Materials Presented". It provides the recommendations of the technical advisory committee. I tried posting a link to the file itself but it was too large to post apparently.

I actually jumped the gun when I said it was the least preferred option. I guess it scored somewhere in the middle. It seems they are under-weighting the cultural benefits of a pedestrian-only corridor at the expense of other variables. It looks like we're only going to end up with wider sidewalks which is good but not as good as this plan could be.

They should make is pedestrian only from the north curb of King to the south curb of Queen with driving underpasses for the Richmond & Adelaide intersections. That way you could also not have to worry about road closures for street events at MuchMusic or TIFF in the future. Problem with that is costs would be through the roof to cut and cover the underpasses.

Another problem would be the effective killing off of this part of town as a place to go.

Noooo way. As someone who lives in this area, I'd hate to see underpasses on those roads. Would make them feel even more like highways, and I think would result in increased speeds.

John would make a great pedestrianized street though. Especially on the weekends.

Back