News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 911     1 

John Street Revitalization

Coming to General Government Committee next week:

GG2.10 - Amendment to Purchase Order Number 6052250 with WSP Canada Incorporated for the Detailed Design of the John Street Corridor Improvements​

Consideration Type: ACTION Ward: 10 - Spadina - Fort York

Origin​

(February 16, 2023) Report from the Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering & Construction Services Division and Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management

Recommendations​

The Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering & Construction Services Division and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management recommend that:

1. General Government Committee, in accordance with Section 195-8.4A of the Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 195 (Purchasing By-Law), grant authority to amend Purchase Order Number 6052250 with WSP Canada Incorporated, for the provision of professional services associated with the design for John Street Corridor Improvements between Front Street West and Stephanie Street in the amount of $854,264.43 net of all taxes and charges ($869,299.48 net of HST recoveries). This revises the current purchase order value from $2,267,000 net of all taxes and charges ($2,306,899.20 net of HST recoveries) to $3,121,264.43 net of all taxes and charges ($3,176,198.68 net of HST recoveries).

Summary​

Coming to General Government Committee next week:

GG2.10 - Amendment to Purchase Order Number 6052250 with WSP Canada Incorporated for the Detailed Design of the John Street Corridor Improvements​

Consideration Type: ACTION Ward: 10 - Spadina - Fort York

Origin​

(February 16, 2023) Report from the Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering & Construction Services Division and Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management

Recommendations​

The Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering & Construction Services Division and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management recommend that:

1. General Government Committee, in accordance with Section 195-8.4A of the Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 195 (Purchasing By-Law), grant authority to amend Purchase Order Number 6052250 with WSP Canada Incorporated, for the provision of professional services associated with the design for John Street Corridor Improvements between Front Street West and Stephanie Street in the amount of $854,264.43 net of all taxes and charges ($869,299.48 net of HST recoveries). This revises the current purchase order value from $2,267,000 net of all taxes and charges ($2,306,899.20 net of HST recoveries) to $3,121,264.43 net of all taxes and charges ($3,176,198.68 net of HST recoveries).

Summary​

Good catch. I mean, I'll believe it when I see it, but the staff report says construction will start in Q2 2024.

excellent - I have to commend the city in managing to start construction on this project a mere 15 years after beginning design! Excellent work everybody!

You know we are in complete agreement........but I can't resist looking back in the thread:

1685464470427.png

@greenleaf will end up being closer, IF work starts next year.

There were lots of things that went wrong here......but let's look back at some key moments in a retrospective:

1) High level concept unveiled 2009

2) Detailed concept w/render 2011

3) 2012 - EA - Objections for cyclists slow process down

4) 2014 Trial study of impacts using flower planters to narrow John

5) 2017 Funding committed and a schedule laid out, as per below:

1685470640796.png

What I had to say about that when I saw it:

1685464928125.png

By 2021, we realized somebody scuttled the above already tortuously long schedule by deciding that the beautification/reconstruction wouldn't begin until Hydro was entirely done; where the initial plan had reconstruction following hydro as soon as they moved to the next section:

1685465088717.png

Along comes 2022, and the City pinky-swears that they will do the prettification bit this year (2023)

1685465212215.png

Come 2023, the project was bumped again...............

Though, if the current date is to be believed..........at least its not 2026-2029 which was its place on the internal schedules in the last year.

People should have lost their jobs over this debacle at Hydro and elsewhere in the City. Lack of accountability breeds mediocrity.

Attachments

• 1685464584218.png
    1685464584218.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
You know we are in complete agreement........but I can't resist looking back in the thread:

View attachment 481559

@greenleaf will end up being closer, IF work starts next year.

There were lots of things that went wrong here......but let's look back at some key moments in a retrospective:

1) High level concept unveiled 2009

2) Detailed concept w/render 2011

3) 2012 - EA - Objections for cyclists slow process down

4) 2014 Trial study of impacts using flower planters to narrow John

5) 2017 Funding committed and a schedule laid out, as per below:

View attachment 481560

What I had to say about that when I saw it:

View attachment 481562

By 2021, we realized somebody scuttled the above already tortuously long schedule by deciding that the beautification/reconstruction wouldn't begin until Hydro was entirely done; where the initial plan had reconstruction following hydro as soon as they moved to the next section:

View attachment 481563

Along comes 2022, and the City pinky-swears that they will do the prettification bit this year (2023)

View attachment 481564

Come 2023, the project was bumped again...............

Though, if the current date is to be believed..........at least its not 2026-2029 which was its place on the internal schedules in the last year.

People should have lost their jobs over this debacle at Hydro and elsewhere in the City. Lack of accountability breeds mediocrity.
It joins Wellington and KQR in the Pantheon of Uncoordinated Projects.

To be fair, Hydro One utility work did start in 2018.. who could of predicted that would have been 6 years before actual construction!

To be fair, Hydro One utility work did start in 2018.. who could of predicted that would have been 6 years before actual construction!

Hydro One did however drag the work on for six years when it could have been greatly expedited.

Oh I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around here - and that is likely part of the problem - no single person who is accountable to ensuring work is progressing.

Oh I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around here - and that is likely part of the problem - no single person who is accountable to ensuring work is progressing.
Shouldn't the onus then be on the local councilor to light a fire under the ass of whomever is "managing" this project?

Website now has a June 2023 update:

The City of Toronto is currently reviewing and refreshing the designs that were prepared in 2016 to include geotechnical and soil analysis, add underground sewer designs, account for new developments, and update streetlighting designs in coordination with the area BIA. The design update is expected to be completed in late 2023 and construction is expected to begin in 2024.

Construction will be co-ordinated with other area construction as part of the Lake Shore West Construction Hub, one of several Construction Hubs the City has set up to improve road safety and coordinate the public right-of-way in areas in the city that have a dense concentration of construction activity.

A Construction Notice will be mailed out to residents and businesses in advance of any work. This notice will include details on the construction staging and traffic management.

Back