840     3 
News   Nov 11, 2019
 1.7K     2 

Japanese items/decor/etc

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some history about Sanko along with some vintage photos:

There was another Japanese-owned and operated store (with video rental) on Dundas near Spadina in the early 90s - does anyone else remember it?

AoD

AlbertC

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was another Japanese-owned and operated store (with video rental) on Dundas near Spadina in the early 90s - does anyone else remember it?

AoD
Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of that store. But from (unsuccessfully) searching for it Google, I just realized for the first time that there's a current place called Sukoshi Mart in Kensington Market that sells Japanese snacks and items.

soundmuseum

Member Bio
Reaction score

AoD
I believe it was called Furuya. I remember going as a kid during the 80's to get Japanese candies and snacks that weren't available elsewhere. They also had prepared packs of Sushi, which was a new thing at the time.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe it was called Furuya. I remember going as a kid during the 80's to get Japanese candies and snacks that weren't available elsewhere. They also had prepared packs of Sushi, which was a new thing at the time.
Yes! - and with a name there is something to go by!

AoD

Last edited: