News   Apr 23, 2024
 240     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Japanese items/decor/etc

Some history about Sanko along with some vintage photos:

There was another Japanese-owned and operated store (with video rental) on Dundas near Spadina in the early 90s - does anyone else remember it?

AoD

There was another Japanese-owned and operated store (with video rental) on Dundas near Spadina in the early 90s - does anyone else remember it?

AoD

Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of that store. But from (unsuccessfully) searching for it Google, I just realized for the first time that there's a current place called Sukoshi Mart in Kensington Market that sells Japanese snacks and items.

AoD

I believe it was called Furuya. I remember going as a kid during the 80's to get Japanese candies and snacks that weren't available elsewhere. They also had prepared packs of Sushi, which was a new thing at the time.

I believe it was called Furuya. I remember going as a kid during the 80's to get Japanese candies and snacks that weren't available elsewhere. They also had prepared packs of Sushi, which was a new thing at the time.

Yes! - and with a name there is something to go by!

AoD

Last edited:
For those looking for a tiny crash course in Japanese culture, Things Japanese on Harbor st. is a must. While on the pricier side of brick and mortar shops, the variety you can find within this small shop is still worth a trip to see in person. You can find traditional folk masks (hand carved wooden masks and plastic) small Shinto-Buddhist statues (with a bronze-like appearance), ceramics & pottery and even full-sized kimonos.

If you're looking for an inexpensive souvenir, I recommend the breath mints, which come in a stylish, Japanese-themed tin.

For residents in Scarborough, Morningside Crossing is about to open a Miniso of their own while the Scarborough Town Centre recently acquired another Japanese department store: MUJI.

Back