News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 551     0 

It’s over: Softwood deal done

A correct anaology would be....you're a business owner, who has intentionally built your business and growth around one large customer. Now the large customer is making demands you don't like.

Now your analogy is flawed.

The "customer" in question is not the United States or the woodlot owners in the United States, but the buyers of softwood products in the US, such as homebuilders, who are extremely critical of this so-called deal.

Your analogy is flawed. No one forced Canada to sell lumber to the USA, nor pay the duties.

No... they forced Americans to pay duties on stuff we sold under an agreement that there would be free trade. Ok, the analogy is flawed although the point Harper is selling us out is not, the point that "free trade" has not been protected is not, and the point that this is a deal which does not do anything to repair all the damage caused by tariffs such as job losses is not. So nobody forced Canada to sell lumber to the USA or pay duties... nobody forced people to live in a crime ridden area or buy valuables which are desirable to theives either. The US has ripped us off on an agreement that was made and Harper is simply rolling over and accepting it. Why don't we set 34% limits on US products like the software industry? Maybe a software for softwood campaign... maybe only 34% of the software market in Canada should be alloted to US headquartered companies and if it goes above that then levy duties. Where is the equity? Where is the policies that protect Canada in response to inequitable policies that protect the US? Are we going to be held to a free trade agreement that the US refuses to be held to? Lets throw out the stupid agreement because it is a farce. Too bad David Orchard didn't win the PC leadership when he ran because obviously Harper is no captain Canada.

We can't blame IMO Harper entirely for the softwood deal. There is no way that any new government could have worked out a complicated deal such as this so quickly. Thus, it is obvious that the previous Liberal government was about to obtain likely the same deal, but lost the election before they could complete the task. I imagine this is why Emerson was brought over from the Libs, so that he could finish the work the Libs started on the deal.

Also, we must note that this deal was reviewed and approved by IIRC the premiers of all affected lumber provinces, from BC to NB. Even the lumber companies accepted the deal. Harper may have been the one to present the deal to the premiers and the companies, but if they didn't accept it, the deal would have died.

There is no way that any new government could have worked out a complicated deal such as this so quickly.

The speed at how fast the deal was made is probably related to the fact that it gave away so much. When someone offers the Americans a great deal I'm not surprised that they quickly accept.

Actually, it is close -- but a little more for Canada than was previously rejected by the US side (34% vs 30% cap for market share). So I think it had more to do with better relations.

The US was facing a probable defeat in a court which is "very" (as in, they couldn't flagrantly ignore it) binding on the US government.

Re: It¡¯s over: Softwood deal done

Looks like the opposition parties will have their chance to vote on the softwood lumber deal in September.www.canada.com/ottawaciti...11&k=61311
Harper said earlier this week he will treat the vote on the legislation, to be tabled in the minority Parliament in September, as a confidence vote which could trigger an election while the Liberal party is in the middle of a leadership campaign.
Of course, if they vote against it, this will trigger an election, thus likely resulting in disaster for the Libs and BQ, an increase for the NDP and likely a Conservative majority, IMO.

I must say, I just love Harper's style as PM. He's not pandering to the media, and IMO seems not to care about being PM, it's as if he knows this is just part of his life, and he'd be just as happy being a private citizen. Far removed from Martin, who was desperate to get and hold onto the PM's seat and who say or do anything to get it. Harper on the other hand is daring the opposition to unseat him, basically saying I've done the best I can do on the softwood lumber, if you don't like it, vote me out of power.

Èç¹ûÄ㲻ìÒâÄãÄܹ»ÌòµÄÎҵļû½âÎҵĸØÃÅ

You don't say.
Love him or hate him, you must agree that it is refreshing for Canada to have a PM that speaks his mind, knows what he wants and isn't desperate to hold onto power. Not since the days of Trudeau has Canada had a PM that essentially says this is how I'm going to do it, if you don't like it, don't vote for me. Trudeau was before my time in Canada, but he had IMO a similar style.

No politician has ever been born who isn't desperate to hang onto power. Steve Harper, as his big friend calls him, is no exception. As for speaking his mind, how would you know? He's terrified of speaking to the press, and so says nothing.

Abeja:

Love him or hate him, you must agree that it is refreshing for Canada to have a PM that speaks his mind, knows what he wants and isn't desperate to hold onto power.

Obviously, his policies regarding Quebec is reflective of such.

AoD

I would almost consider coming back to Canada for a Stephen Harper majority. I can only imagine what he has in store for this country.

Love him or hate him, you must agree that it is refreshing for Canada to have a PM that speaks his mind, knows what he wants and isn't desperate to hold onto power. Not since the days of Trudeau has Canada had a PM that essentially says this is how I'm going to do it, if you don't like it, don't vote for me. Trudeau was before my time in Canada, but he had IMO a similar style.

Comparing Steve to Trudeau, eh?

1) Yes, both Steve and Pierre Elliot Trudeau never really liked the media for the media. However, Trudeau had fun with the media - remember "fuddle-duddle" or "My only regret? I won't have you guys to kick around anymore". Harper has a silent, vengeful loathe that compells him to ignore it all together.

2) Trudeau had charisma. Steve sorely lacks it. Ever heard of Harpermania?

3) Trudeau was willing to cooperate with other parties, such as the NDP. Steve seems to pretend that he has a majority and cooperates with no one.

4) Trudeau saw politics of a way of creating a "just society". Steve seeks to dismantle what's left of it.

Sorry pal, Steve is no Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

3) Trudeau was willing to cooperate with other parties, such as the NDP. Steve seems to pretend that he has a majority and cooperates with no one.
It's the opposition that's allowing Harper to act as if he has a majority. It's the other parties that are cooperating with Harper, with the opposition supporting the Conservative budget, and likely to sign-off on the softwood lumber deal.
Sorry pal, Steve is no Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
Thank goodness for that. I like a brash, confident style, but I don't think Canada could afford another PM akin to Trudeau, or even the much less likeable Mulroney who passes on massive debt onto future generations of Canadians.

Thank goodness for that. I like a brash, confident style, but I don't think Canada could afford another PM akin to Trudeau,

Your right. The last thing Canada needs is an intellectual, independent minded person with a dedication to human rights and progress as a nation. What the country really needs is an Alberta nationalist to proudly lead the country forward into a new era of environmental awareness, reduced tax burden for the rich, and strong protection of traditional values.

Back