News   Apr 23, 2024
 214     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 959     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 299     0 

Islington Village / Six Points (Etobicoke)

The exciting future of 6-Points, Islington Village and Central Etobicoke

6-Points-Islington1.jpg
6-Points-Islington2.jpg
6-Points-Islington3.jpg
6-Points-Islington4.jpg
6-Points-Islington5.jpg
6-Points-Islington6.jpg
6-Points-Islington7.jpg
6-Points-Islington8.jpg
6-Points-Islington9.jpg
I'd like to start by saying what a great website. I wish I had discovered urbantoronto.ca earlier.
Apologies to the forum veterans if I’ve put this post into the wrong section.

I’ve been living in Islington Village for the past 7 years, and even though the large scale development that was been discussed for years has been slow to materialize, I’m very excited about what the future holds for this incredible neighborhood in Toronto.

Sometimes it’s hard to see the more exciting bigger picture for an area when we are shown only snippets regarding future condo developments, subway/bus improvements, road reconfigurations, parks, retail, municipal buildings, recreation complex’s etc.

The pictures I’m presenting have been assembled using materials from some of the postings on toronto.com, the various public consultation meetings, and with the help of Google and Bing maps.

I’m certain that the next 10 years will be very exciting for this area and hopefully we’ll end up with the beautiful, pedestrian friendly village we would all like to see (and yes… complete with a grocery store:D)

Cheers,
TO2051

Attachments

• 6-Points-Islington1.jpg
    6-Points-Islington1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 6-Points-Islington2.jpg
    6-Points-Islington2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 6-Points-Islington3.jpg
    6-Points-Islington3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 6-Points-Islington4.jpg
    6-Points-Islington4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • 6-Points-Islington5.jpg
    6-Points-Islington5.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,156
  • 6-Points-Islington6.jpg
    6-Points-Islington6.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,640
  • 6-Points-Islington7.jpg
    6-Points-Islington7.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 991
  • 6-Points-Islington8.jpg
    6-Points-Islington8.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 997
  • 6-Points-Islington9.jpg
    6-Points-Islington9.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 996
I like Islington Village as well. However, I don't get that reconstruction plan for the Six Points area. The Dundas looks like it will go through the area in a jog, which seems neither functional nor attractive! It looks like a mess to drive through if you're on Dundas and want to stay on Dundas.

I like Islington Village as well. However, I don't get that reconstruction plan for the Six Points area. The Dundas looks like it will go through the area in a jog, which seems neither functional nor attractive! It looks like a mess to drive through if you're on Dundas and want to stay on Dundas.

It's a Dufferin jog in the making. On the other hand, Bloor will be continuous now. If I recall correctly, they did consider making Kipling, Bloor and Dundas all straight lines, but it would have involved Dundas being tunneled underneath them which I believe was deemed unappealing since it limit the amount of developable land.

Though there's always been that Dundas-into-Bloor "organic" continuity since the days of Hwy 5--and besides, there's a more explicit "Dufferin jog" situation presently in the *Bloor* discontinuity. Essentially, we're looking here at a mega-quasi-roundabout concoction...

Couldn't they create a traffic circle or roundabout to allow all the arterials to intersect? There could be a monument or sculpture in the centre.

That would be a fantastic idea, but sadly, it isn't happening.

I do like this new plan however. I've lived not too far from her for the past 15 years, and I've always wondered who came up with this mess of on ramps, off ramps, sidewalks that end, lanes that end, going through a plaza to get to Bloor west of Kipling from Bloor east of Kipling... it really is bad. Almost anything will be better, and this falls under that "anything" category.

When do they expect the street reconfiguration to begin?

I am excited about these changes and to see how the neighborhood emerges. I am a new resident to this area. My husband and I moved here a year ago and we will be moving to the new Concert Property soon.

Funny. Passed through there today on the bus and thought that it was one of the most unpleasant excuses of a street in this city. Dundas in Mississauga might not be King Street, but for it to turn into a highway all of a sudden and kill all the life around it is terrible.

Some of BlogTO's "worst intersections" are simply irregular intersections that require slightly different behaviour. There's no reason at all to fear these deviations from the standard Georgian grid. This one, however, should be rebuilt because it was only designed with cars in mind.

Last edited:
Bleah

Being a resident in the Islington Village area for a few years now I'll believe the improvements when I see it. Public housing goes on as ever before and eyesores (and earsores) abound. The courthouse and the changes to Islington Station seem dead (SC Lavalin pulled out suddenly--no big surprise there) with renovations to the decrepit station still a concept, the Bloor/Dundas mess, er., ramp system will likely live on for years and Westwood needs to be repurchased by the city now the province has given up on it.

The only positive is increasing condo density with no infrastructure (e.g, supermarkets) to support it. I have to drive to get my groceries unless I want to pay through the nose for a limited selection at Rabba.

What a mess.

Last edited:
Yea its pretty crap now... there use to be a foodbasics where the new condos are going up... ahhh the good ol'days.

The reconfiguration of the interchange is in the city's capital budget this year.

Back