News   Apr 24, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 720     1 

Is the west side of Toronto more prominent than the east side?

My theory is that the Don River caused a delay in the developments of the lands east of the river. Starting from Downtown, it would have been easier to built north and west than it would have been to build east. By time significant development started east of Don, the west side was already well established.

This is exactly it. The Don was a barrier. In addition, the area around the Lower Don had already emerged as the least desirable part of the city by the time of incorporation in 1834. Later in the 19th century, it was known for its concentration of noxious industries.

Note that the wealthiest district in the 19th century was east of Yonge, along (upper) Jarvis St., with mansions going up there in the 1870s and 1880s.

Weston is on the west end of Toronto and it had heavy industry.

The Junction is also on the west end and also had heavy industry.

I must agree that the West End is much more walkable than the East End (and I am West End-biased, since I live in the West End).

Let's not forget that the population of the Old City west of Bathurst is about twice that of the Old City east of the Don River, so it's not surprising that there is more variety of neighborhood types in the west end than in the east end. The west end had industry and lots of working class housing, but also more areas built for the well to do. East of the Don housing was more homogeneous and was more of a working class semisuburbia.

Last edited:
What are some good "apples" comparisons between the east and west sides of town? The Beaches/High Park comes to mind.

Last edited:
True, Riverdale and Parkdale were both annexed in the 1880s. What made me think of Beaches/High Park is they're both affluent areas known for a natural attraction located at the eastern and western ends of the Old City. While both are affluent and I think housing prices are pretty similar, the Beaches feels more homogeneous upper middle class white Canadian, while High Park has a bit more diversity (i.e. more renters, more immigrants and an Eastern European presence, plus it's pretty close to diverse Parkdale).

True, Riverdale and Parkdale were both annexed in the 1880s. What made me think of Beaches/High Park is they're both affluent areas known for a natural attraction located at the eastern and western ends of the Old City. While both are affluent and I think housing prices are pretty similar, the Beaches feels more homogeneous upper middle class white Canadian, while High Park has a bit more diversity (i.e. more renters, more immigrants and an Eastern European presence, plus it's pretty close to diverse Parkdale).

That is a great point as well. I can't think of too many other comparable since the east side does not have as many commercial districts.

Beaches was originally a cottage site for Torontonians. Maybe a little more like... Port Credit? ... than High Park.

Some comparisons between the west end (wards 13, 14, 18 and 19) and east end (wards 30 and 32):

Renters:

West end: 52%
East end: 39%

Live in apartment:

West end: 60%
East end: 38%

University degree:

West end: 44%
East end: 44%

Post-graduate degree:

West end: 17%
East end: 16%