News   Jul 26, 2024
 971     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     3 

Is David Miller planning a comeback?

The only positive thing I can think of that came from Miller is the blue bin program.

Without Miller we would not have Ford. The latter needed the former's disgraceful submission to the garbage strike, along with a general sense of being disconnected, in order to achieve power.

Bringing Miller back will get us Doug Ford as mayor four years later.

I disagree. Anyone that wasn't right wing would've led to Ford.

Miller can be credited for progress on the waterfront, improved transit service & expansion, along with more (and very needed) revenue tools for the city. Regent Park's renewal has been a success, overall.

I'd love to see him back in office - the best of Toronto's post-amalgamation mayors.

It's doubtful though - he seems to be pursuing some other interests that are important to him.

... the best of Toronto's post-amalgamation mayors.

Let's be objective here for a second. This is probably a fact and not opinion....and I was never a fan of the guy before.

It's doubtful though - he seems to be pursuing some other interests that are important to him.

Such as football. His priorities are my priorities! Maybe we should have him as mayor again.

But now he's the North America director for C40 Cities. Doesn't seem like he left to initiate a mayoral bid.

If Miller comes back, we know the result will be Ford 2.0 in some way or another following his tenure. Do people really want to risk that?

If Miller comes back, we know the result will be Ford 2.0 in some way or another following his tenure. Do people really want to risk that?

So we need to avoid competent candidates for fear that someone like Ford might eventually get elected?

So we need to avoid competent candidates for fear that someone like Ford might eventually get elected?

Never said anything about competency. You could be competent as a far left-winger, to competently implement all the taxes only to have a backlash leading to a not so competent right winger. The fact is, Miller is a known variable of raising taxes on every little thing he can think of (they considered all sorts of items... coffee/tea.. food... take out containers... light bulbs") that was only a reminder to the people, then allowing countless, unending strikes (even Bob Rae said he thought by being nice to Unions, they would give him leeway.. but he learned that it emboldened them even more and came to regret acting so nice to them). IMO, it's safe to say, a type of history will repeat itself.

Never said anything about competency. You could be competent as a far left-winger, to competently implement all the taxes only to have a backlash leading to a not so competent right winger. The fact is, Miller is a known variable of raising taxes on every little thing he can think of (they considered all sorts of items... coffee/tea.. food... take out containers... light bulbs") that was only a reminder to the people, then allowing countless, unending strikes (even Bob Rae said he thought by being nice to Unions, they would give him leeway.. but he learned that it emboldened them even more and came to regret acting so nice to them). IMO, it's safe to say, a type of history will repeat itself.

This again insinuates that the responsibility of Rob Ford getting elected as the fault of "far left" (by whose definition?) David Miller. Sorry, no - there are plenty of warnings that Rob Ford is an issues loaded non-performer. The choice of voting for incompetence falls solely on those who had elected him.

As to being "tough on unions" - well, I wonder how much of a raise the police got (and TTC is in a position to get with essential service designation)?

AoD

So, what's the plan then? If we keep electing boring, mediocre "leaders" with no vision or bollocks to accomplish anything worth talking about just so there isn't a backlash by our co-citizen reactionaries then what's the point of living here?
Sounds like a terrible place to live, in my opinion.

So, what's the plan then? If we keep electing boring, mediocre "leaders" with no vision or bollocks to accomplish anything worth talking about just so there isn't a backlash by our co-citizen reactionaries then what's the point of living here?
Sounds like a terrible place to live, in my opinion.

Bottom line right now we need to build transit immediately. Millers transit plan was too polarizing, Fords transit plan was too polarizing. Tory has no competition as a moderate who can split the plans so its time to move on for a few years so we can get some shovels in the ground. Once we get moving then we can go back to the exciting fight over taxing the air we breathe and bending over for unions vs. starving the City with low taxes and all out privatization. There is no question Millers union strikes and transit plan propelled Ford to victory, he campaigned vocally and clearly on these items. The City needs a good break from these extreme ideological type Leaders whether its Right or Left.

Last edited:
Well, the entire planet needs a good break from these extreme ideological type leaders/dictators/extremists/populists/windbags/dickheads, not just us. In fact, most places need a break much more and for much longer than us!

I am very much in agreement with your priority regarding transit!

I don't think there's any evidence that Transit City was especially polarizing apart Ford's dishonest and braindead approach took hold of the city.

I don't think there's any evidence that Transit City was especially polarizing apart Ford's dishonest and braindead approach took hold of the city.

Tearing up car lanes with no grade separation on 2 of the 3 of the lines and lack of equitably Central connection was equally as brain dead. Ford most likely isn't Mayor without this short sighted plan for Scarborough. Tory also isn't Mayor without both these ideologies. He split the two so we can hopefully build

Nonsense.

Scarborough sure is better off with the current nothing instead of the Sheppard LRT. It would have opened 5 years ago.

Back