396     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 584     0 

Is David Miller planning a comeback?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting intervention from Miller on Metro Morning:

http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/2697/wynne-liberals-on-track-to-lose-party-status-in-2018/

I certainly had my issues with Miller (G20!), but he just rocked that interview!

Which makes me wonder if he's considering challenging Tory in 2018? He doesn't have a council seat to give up, he has recognition among the vast majority of voters etc.

Many of conservative persuasion of course would say "Ford got in because Miller was massively unpopular" but I never bought that narrative.

Interesting supposition, but if a 'comeback' why to City Hall? Miller is made of better stuff. The NDP could do with some more name recognition in Queen's Park.

Having trouble with that link loading, very slow, probably swamped server, but did read the text. Wynne is so screwed. I'll post that link and discuss further in the Wynne string later.

Look forward to reading further discussion on Miller here.

I don't think he will. He's the CEO of a huge environmental charity, speaks regularly around the globe about sustainable cities, has held an academic post.

I think the Scarborough subway debacle was the tipping point and he finally decided to get vocal. He is trying to preserve Transit City, probably his biggest legacy.

Every since his mayoralty, Miller has shed some of his close NDP ties. If I recall he cancelled his party membership while mayor saying he needed to work with who ever was in power. I believe he may have endorsed Peggy Nash, his local MP, but other than that he hasn't been particularily active during any of the provincial or federal campaigns.

I don't think he will. He's the CEO of a huge environmental charity, speaks regularly around the globe about sustainable cities, has held an academic post.

I think the Scarborough subway debacle was the tipping point and he finally decided to get vocal. He is trying to preserve Transit City, probably his biggest legacy.

Every since his mayoralty, Miller has shed some of his close NDP ties. If I recall he cancelled his party membership while mayor saying he needed to work with who ever was in power. I believe he may have endorsed Peggy Nash, his local MP, but other than that he hasn't been particularily active during any of the provincial or federal campaigns.

Like yourself, I just don't see him voluntarily being put in a straight jacket only to have people throw things at him. Why take a demotion in life? The man is above Toronto civic politics now.

If he was so inclined, he could do a lot more at the federal level. Nonetheless, it is interesting that he's 'come out of hiding'. As for Mayor, I think there's a lot of promising material that will yet show, and he could visibly back one. Jennifer K comes to mind.

We need a breath of fresh air...new faces, new ideas! We need someone, not Miller, to become the next Mayor

The Subways, Subways Subways rant would become an LRTs, LRTs LRTs rant under Miller and we cannot afford more of this Subway vs. LRT crap!

"Is David Miller planning a comeback? " Just because a former mayor (and, overall, a pretty good one in my opinion) makes a comment about a very important civic issue is no reason to think/hope/suspect he/she may be planning a comeback.

"Is David Miller planning a comeback? " Just because a former mayor (and, overall, a pretty good one in my opinion) makes a comment about a very important civic issue is no reason to think/hope/suspect he/she may be planning a comeback.

That's why it was a posed as a question, not a statement or prediction.

Interesting supposition, but if a 'comeback' why to City Hall? Miller is made of better stuff. The NDP could do with some more name recognition in Queen's Park.

Having trouble with that link loading, very slow, probably swamped server, but did read the text. Wynne is so screwed. I'll post that link and discuss further in the Wynne string later.

Look forward to reading further discussion on Miller here.

I imagine Miller would much prefer be Mayor of Toronto than a run-of-the-mill NDP MPP. And I think he would stand a legit shot at winning if he stuck to his guns in a three-way Tory-Ford-Miller race.

Peter Sloly and Adam Vaughan are two other names I keep hearing.
Vaughan would be an excellent choice. Always see him on Parliamentary footage sitting two rows behind the PM. He's a bit wasted there, but would allow TO to have a more direct ear in Ottawa.

Got to ask you ADRM, the last three initials are David Miller's...are you?

Peter Sloly and Adam Vaughan are two other names I keep hearing.

I like Adam Vaughan, but I question how well he'd do outside the old city limits. He's sort of the epitome of the aloof, Champagne sipping downtown elitist know-it-all culture that Scarborough and Etobicoke councilors argue governs Toronto. I also think it's unlikely he will run - he has a safe federal seat and oversees the Housing porfolio.

I could see Shelley Carroll, KWT or Gord Perks appealing to various segments of the city.

Last edited:

Back