Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I think they waaay overestimated Green and Orange, but Purple and Blue seem okay.

I was just pointing out the marketing can only do so much, if anything. VIVA was more than just pretty booth, they fare system was the real improvement. But does any corridor outside Yonge really need honour fare system? That's why the the ridership fell short. They focused too much on the marketing and the functional improvement was just an afterthought.

If VIVA type system is implemented on Hurontario, it will be the fare system that increases the ridership, not the marketing. That type of marketing might hurt if anything. I mean marketing them two systems, and then marketing them as 1system, what? C'mon...

If VIVA type system is implemented on Hurontario, it will be the fare system that increases the ridership, not the marketing. That type of marketing might hurt if anything. I mean marketing them two systems, and then marketing them as 1system, what? C'mon...

No, its marketing it as ONE SYSTEM, but a different TYPE OF SERVICE. It helps differentiate the two types of services so that people know the BRT is nothing like regular service. If anything, it will get more people to use the BRT. Marketing the BRT as a different type of service is what needs to be done to convince people that it is the 'better' way.

Last edited:
This on on Feb 17 Council agenda:

MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED
1. Hurontario Main Street Study – Status Update Report
Corporate Report dated February 4, 2010 from the Commissioner of Transportation and
Works with respect to Phase 2 of the Environmental Assessment process for the
Hurontario-Main Street Study.
RECOMMENDATION:
1. That staff be directed to undertake the next round of public consultation with
respect to Phase 2 of the Environmental Assessment process for the Hurontario-
Main Street Study, addressing the preferred alternative, alignment and the
planning and urban design strategy.
2. That the report dated February 4, 2010 from the Commissioner of Transportation
and Works on the Hurontario-Main Street Study – Status Update Report, be
forwarded to the City of Brampton and Metrolinx for information.
RECOMMEND APPROVAL

No, its marketing it as ONE SYSTEM, but a different TYPE OF SERVICE. It helps differentiate the two types of services so that people know the BRT is nothing like regular service. If anything, it will get more people to use the BRT. Marketing the BRT as a different type of service is what needs to be done to convince people that it is the 'better' way.

YRT and VIVA are marketed as separate systems. Just go their site and you will see. Look at the "YRT/VIVA system map" for example. Mississauga and Brampton Transit don't need that sort of stupid separation. Ottawa didn't need it and Toronto didn't need it, and unlike YRT/VIVA, OC Transpo and TTC both have higher ridership then either MT and BT. You want to convince people that there is a better way, then you emulate the better ways, not the inferiors ways.

YRT and VIVA are marketed as separate systems. Just go their site and you will see. Look at the "YRT/VIVA system map" for example. Mississauga and Brampton Transit don't need that sort of stupid separation. Ottawa didn't need it and Toronto didn't need it, and unlike YRT/VIVA, OC Transpo and TTC both have higher ridership then either MT and BT. You want to convince people that there is a better way, then you emulate the better ways, not the inferiors ways.

I did go to their site. Notice how the website for both is http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/

They are both YRT, but two distinct services. Exactly what I said.

Find me a separate VIVA website and I will agree with you... but im telling you, it doesn't exist.

The next round of Open House for the Hurontario LRT will be held on March 30 from 5-9 at Brampton City Hall. On March 31 from 5-9, Mississauga will see theirs at City Hall.

The Recommendation is LRT with the BCA going to Metrolinx board in May. Stops are 500+m and going to cost problems.

Possible a new transit terminal to be built on the old lawn Bowling land at Park St. Will have to walk to/from the GO station for transit connection.

LRT will go to Port St and then west to Elizabeth St.

Hazel wants the Dundas EA study to get under ASP so it ready for the next round of funding.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

May Service Changes could/will see #26 been moved out of the Sq One Terminal

The City is looking at setting up a transit advisory committee.

I think the alignment and stations chosen are sufficient. I like how they extended the line south of Lakeshore, but you'd think they'd put a station actually AT Lakeshore!!!

In the text it states the following:

The recommended corridor alignment has been extended southward from the intital proposed terminus at Lakeshore Road to Port Street with an additional station at the terminus in order to more effectively service the waterfront and any potential redevelopment of the port lands

The map shows the "new terminus", but it doesn't look like an "additional" station since the Lakeshore one appears to be missing now. Although the graphic could be wrong?

Last edited:
This is an exciting time for both municipalities involved. The Brampton report is interesting, as it recommends a mixed-traffic alignment all the way from Charolais north to a loop via Wellington, George and the CN corridor back to Main Street. In Downtown Brampton, 3 options for Main Street are proposed, with a trade-off between street parking, sidewalk widening, and transit movements.

The LRT shouldn't go north of Downtown Brampton for several reasons, including cost, the northern loop provides for an optimal GO connection, and it really represents a breakpoint for transit services here.

I am also glad to see the Peel Memorial Hospital lands option off the table, though I admit it was an interesting idea.

I concur that the stop spacing is about right across the whole corridor.

Back