News   Jul 22, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 596     0 

Hume on TTC rider etiquette

I walk just as fast as the next guy, if not faster. I just don't run. I'm not one to race at break-neck speeds weaving in and out of people and lunge at the doors as they are just about to close.

TTC rider etiquette...

Everyone: I remember the civil attitude on the TTC in the 80s mostly-is seems like what is now written it is getting like NYC now! LI MIKE

Over the past week, I've noticed that there has been a consistent announcement upon the arrival of southbound trains into Bloor-Yonge in the morning rush, reminding people to "Stand back from the yellow line, allow passengers to exit first, and move into the centre of the train" followed by a audible warning of doors closing and to wait for the next train. These aren't done by the operators, as the voice is the same. I've never been able to glance down toward the station mic to see if it is a special constable doing it or if it's from transit control.. either way, it's somewhat improved loading and unloading of the subway at that time....

They should do this permanently (if they aren't planning on it) and at all times, similar to the automated announcements in Hong Kong's subway, "The train to ___ is arriving, please let passengers exit first".. an investment like this is probably feasible with the automated system already in place, and it would likely speed up boarding times and potentially save in operating costs by decreasing the lull time at Bloor-Yonge.

That would be cool if they had announcements in English, Cantonese and Mandarin at Spadina station. It would feel like you had just stepped into Hong Kong! lol ok maybe not, but if you close your eyes and imagine...
Every time I got to Hong Kong, I'm bemused by the big sign over the train between airport terminals...

"Relax Train will arrive in three minutes."

My travelling friends now always call it the Relax Train.

The biggest pet peeve I have when boarding the TTC, whether it be the subway, bus, or streetcar, is people BUTTING in line. It's like we go back to barbaric times, and everyone tries to squeeze onto the transit on one big lump. I actually had to be stern and say "excuse me" to an old man who was pushing me out of the way, when there weren't even very many people in the line.

Is it so wrong to ask that we remember our grade school days where we were taught to line up "single file"? I don't think it's that hard. We'll all get to where we are going much more efficiently that way...

Lining up at a bus - at the subway stations, I just line up where the sign for the bus stop is and get on at the front (and 'score' the coveted first of the single-forward facing seat). People just don't line up here (but they do in Montreal). I'll certainly give way to others who have been waiting before me, but otherwise it's seems that it's everybody for themselves (to an extent). I'd like it to be more civilized, but I've come to the point where I just say screw it, when in Rome....

I really hate the pushers and shovers - who don't even respect the "lump" that takes place when a bus arrives. There's no need.

That's one of the things that pleasantly surprised me about Montreal. Almost everything is more chaotic than in Toronto, yet people know how to queue up for the bus. Torontonians, take note.

Except that practically all of us *do* line up nicely for the bus...I honestly don't know what city you guys are experiencing if you think otherwise. If you're saying 100 Montrealers will snake their way along a bus bay and not one of them will ever cut in, well, I just don't believe you.

Yes, when there's >100 people waiting to get on a Steeles bus at Finch, there's not enough room for a strict line to form and blobs will form, blobs then lead to people mingling around the line and then cutting in. But as long as there's room, lines will form and most stick to them - just because 1 in 30 people pushes their way on doesn't mean the rest aren't behaving. I've experienced many extremely long and orderly lines on the TTC, but they do require enough space, so some bus bays will invariably be more chaotic than others. The combined 85/190 bays at Don Mills can become comically chaotic because of huge crowds of people shifting from one line to the other depending on which bus arrives first, not because they don't know how to line up (there's also no room for 190'ers to form long lines and people are still confused as to whether the lines should snake outside or go inside).

One other point: low floor buses with the wide swinging doors are less conducive to lines as older buses with the dual stairways at the back. The doors swing open and three people can sometimes squeeze in together, even though the default TTC line up has two lines aiming for the back doors...so two orderly lines can pile on and there's actually room - and for some, this is implicit consent - to cut in.

Lining up at a bus - at the subway stations, I just line up where the sign for the bus stop is and get on at the front (and 'score' the coveted first of the single-forward facing seat). People just don't line up here (but they do in Montreal). I'll certainly give way to others who have been waiting before me, but otherwise it's seems that it's everybody for themselves (to an extent). I'd like it to be more civilized, but I've come to the point where I just say screw it, when in Rome....

I really hate the pushers and shovers - who don't even respect the "lump" that takes place when a bus arrives. There's no need.

It depends on the time and place. Rush hour at Runnymede Station results in everyone lining up in a straight line for the bus. Sometimes the line goes through the upper part of the station, all the way to the street.

Hong Kong (again) provides a solution to make people line up for buses. At some bus stops (usually the old ones) there are fences that force people to stand in line to wait for the bus (creating something like a human cow pen). While there are always a few rude people who act stupid and wait for the bus outside the pen, most people do comply and wait in line.

Newer bus stops sometimes have painted lines in the sidewalk to show where people should line up for the bus. Stops that serve multiple routes have a DWA for each route.

P1011144.JPG

Back