News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 787     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

Zellers will be opening their pop-up in the back of the basement of the Queen St. Bay, where the Foodwares restaurant/café used to be.

20230613_202427.jpg

Was at the Eglinton Square location today......

Saw cosmetics was completely torn out......

Inquired........ they're turning that location into a Clearance store.

The intention, at least as related to store level staff is to sustain operations for several more years (apparently the lease has quite a bit to go on it); though I imagine there is an 'out' clause and HBC will happily leave a low-performing location when the time is right.

But for now, anyways, the store is becoming the place other stores will get rid of their season-end, run-end product.

I didn't spend much time there, but I did note one product I was 1/2 tempted by....

A fairly large, live-edge, solid wood, coffee table, supposedly, previously priced at $1500 and change; now $499

I gave it a once over, knocked on it, felt the weight, it's a really solidly made piece, it really is likely a well over $1,000 value.

Just saying, apparently it's the last one.

If you do go by for it...........don't think you're carrying it home on the bus, LOL. You'll need two people and a vehicle.

Was at the Eglinton Square location today......

Saw cosmetics was completely torn out......

Inquired........ they're turning that location into a Clearance store.

The intention, at least as related to store level staff is to sustain operations for several more years (apparently the lease has quite a bit to go on it); though I imagine there is an 'out' clause and HBC will happily leave a low-performing location when the time is right.

But for now, anyways, the store is becoming the place other stores will get rid of their season-end, run-end product.

I didn't spend much time there, but I did note one product I was 1/2 tempted by....

A fairly large, live-edge, solid wood, coffee table, supposedly, previously priced at $1500 and change; now $499

I gave it a once over, knocked on it, felt the weight, it's a really solidly made piece, it really is likely a well over $1,000 value.

Just saying, apparently it's the last one.

If you do go by for it...........don't think you're carrying it home on the bus, LOL. You'll need two people and a vehicle.

Eglinton Square will certainly see redevelopment in the next decade as well; though The Bay is/was not known for clearance stores the way Sears was (with several former full-line stores in marginal locations rebranded as Outlets).

I could see Woodbine going the same way.

The moribund store at Burlington Centre will shuttered June '24.

Not a total surprise as the site at Mapleview is certainly more upscale and contemporary? But it does beg the question of what happens to the BM site, which is huge. And contains many useful and busy stores ( Canadian Tire, Denningers etc etc) and restaurants. But still huge. Fronting on Fairview and Guelph line, so along the direct access to the proposed and in works developments keyed to the GO train stations at Fairview and Appelby. Surrounded by a lot of one story commercial that is also ripe for a second look at utilization. Investments have been made in this mall in the recent years, but this seems like a very good opportunity to reimagine much of this property.

The Burlington Mall store was originally a Robinson’s, a smaller, Hamilton-based department store chain that also had stores in Downtown Hamilton, Kitchener, and St. Catharines. It got bought out by HBC in the 1980s, HBC bought a lot of regional chains to establish itself in the big cities.
The mall also had a Sears store at the other end and a Dominion store, the Sears became Zellers for a while, and then Target for that short period of time.

Meanwhile at the other end of the property, where Canadian Tire is now, that building was a mini-mall containing a K-Mart (I think) and another grocery store (Steinburgs?)

I think many of these changes would echo other regional malls.

The time is right to reimagine a lot of the parking surrounding this site.

Retail-Insider reports that the Hudson's Bay store at Londonderry S.C. in Edmonton is downsizing and converting to a Clearance Outlet format similar to the Eglington Square location.

Londonderry Shopping Centre In Edmonton Adding Tenants, Hudson’s Bay Store Downsizing And Remaining Open

And the biggest announcement as of late is the retention of the Hudson’s Bay department store at Londonderry, albeit in a smaller footprint than what has operated for decades in the mall. Hudson’s Bay is downsizing its store from about 118,000 square feet over two floors to about 60,000 square feet on one level, which will become a new outlet concept. The store downsizing will be completed by the beginning of September according to the landlord.

The Hudson’s Bay store will occupy then first level of the shopping centre, creating an opportunity upstairs for the landlord to re-set the mall’s tenant mix with multiple leasing opportunities. New tenants could include retail and services depending on what’s conceptualized and signed.

That’s good. There are too many Bay stores in secondary malls. It’s overdue for the Bay to downsize and close unproductive stores as loss leaders. The company is failing slowly and painfully.

That’s good. There are too many Bay stores in secondary malls. It’s overdue for the Bay to downsize and close unproductive stores as loss leaders. The company is failing slowly and painfully.

Some stores are doing better than others such as Scarborough Town Centre which is always busy. Other ones like Eglinton Square should have been shut down ages ago.

This reminds me alot of Simpsons. When they went tits up they also had stores in secondary malls such as Cedarbrae Mall while still having larger stores not far off like the Scarborough Town Centre.

Back