News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

That's how Eaton's and Woodward's failed - they sold off their real estate assets and then had no colateral to borrow against.

Richard Baker; HBC's nominal leader, has been pulling an Eddie Lampert in fits and starts for years.......

The latter is the man who destroyed Sears and Kmart in the U.S. by bleeding them dry.

I personally don't lament the loss Kmart (Which exited Canada years earlier).............

Though still feel bad for those who lost their jobs; and for a company not flushed down the toilet on its merits, but by what its owner could extract such that it became non-viable.

Sears equally was not a beloved business in my eyes............but its long, storied history surely deserved better than the ignominious end imposed by Mr. Lampert.

That Sears itself participated in the death of Eaton's might be called MBA disease.

Maximum short-term greed, with little view for the long term, even in a self-interested way.

Leave the poor heritage alone, we have so little.....
I totally agree but the value of the land plus the potential returns of additional development vastly outweighs what can be gotten from the existing FAR. Sensitive redevelopment does happen as is seen in Wilkinson Eyse? treatment of the Bankside Power Station. I think that the result is much more interesting than the original.

I totally agree but the value of the land plus the potential returns of additional development vastly outweighs what can be gotten from the existing FAR. Sensitive redevelopment does happen as is seen in Wilkinson Eyse? treatment of the Bankside Power Station. I think that the result is much more interesting than the original.

Scale is an important part of heritage.

Everything 100 storeys tall is boring, lacks historical authenticity, lacks historical feeling/vibe, creates issues of shadowing/lack of skyview, is environmentally deleterious and questionable in terms of public safety.

I'm not opposed to either height or density, but I am opposed to them for their own sake instead of the greater good.

There is ample low density w/no architectural merit, no heritage value, where infrastructure can support something greater than 1 to 3 floors.......where something larger can be delivered.

WE don't have much heritage in this City; we've lost most of what we had..............I'm not in favour of modifying a single remaining example of quality.

They already sold it to Cadillac Fairview.

Which makes sense as it has been a defacto part of the Eaton Centre since the 70s when the bridge was installed.

Anyone who has ever gone to the Eaton Centre considered it an extension of the mall. It may not have been on the map but for most people it was just another store in the mall.

It doesn’t look good. Of course this is what private equity does, buy an established retailer that owns a lot of real estate, then move around debt so that the acquired retailer is now under water, and force the retailer to sell off its real estate, often to another arm of the same or allied equity firm(s).

Paywall free: https://archive.is/rHAgO

I like to support Canadian owned retailers. Thus I used to shop at the Bay, but now they’re American owned I figure I might as well buy from Amazon. And at 55,000 staff at Amazon Canada, the latter employs more Canadians anyway.

Last edited:
It doesn’t look good. Of course this is what private equity does, buy an established retailer that owns a lot of real estate, then move around debt so that the acquired retailer is now under water, and force the retailer to sell off its real estate, often to another arm of the same or allied equity firm(s).

Paywall free: https://archive.is/rHAgO

I like to support Canadian owned retailers. Thus I used to shop at the Bay, but now they’re American owned I figure I might as well buy from Amazon. And at 55,000 staff at Amazon Canada, the latter employs more Canadians anyway.

I did get some amazing deals recently at the Bay such as saving 700 dollars on a frying pan set.

Unless there is a Bay Day sale you are overpaying by a wide margin.

Unless there is a Bay Day sale you are overpaying by a wide margin.
Same goes for Crappy Tire. Never pay full retail on anything at CT, as their model is internally referred to as the high-low, self-shopper strategy. If it's on sale at CT, definitely consider it, as their sale promos are often very good, but otherwise just buy it on Amazon. And for all that is holy, never, not ever try to use CT's ecom - it's tied to individual dealer stores, often with no true sense of what's in inventory (due to understaffing, self-shopper model).

And for all that is holy, never, not ever try to use CT's ecom - it's tied to individual dealer stores, often with no true sense of what's in inventory (due to understaffing, self-shopper model).

I second that.

I just tried to order 2 shovels and a scraper for the Condominium I manage from the Liberty Village store. The scraper was available same day. The smaller of the two shovels was supposed to be available the same day as the scraper but it got delayed by 2 weeks.

The larger of the two shovels was then initially delayed 2 weeks, only to then be delayed another week just after it said ready for pickup!

I canceled the order and went to the Stockyards store where it was in stock and available. The kicker was that the Stockyards store did not permit online ordering of the shovels.

Canadian Tire E-Com is highly dependent on what store you are ordering from and even then nothing is guaranteed.

I second that. Canadian Tire E-Com is highly dependent on what store you are ordering from and even then nothing is guaranteed.
I moved my post to the CTC thread.

Last edited:
HBC good deals, and I will still miss it, despite its obvious decline. There are some good deals on right now as well.

But I was just at the Yorkdale store – which you’d think would be one of the top locations. Yet both escalators going from the main to the second floor were stopped.

Putting in online orders still is bad. They now only offer free shipping with their credit card. But you’d think they could deliver items to any store for free. It doesn’t work that way. Only if it’s in the inventory for that particular store can you pick it up there.

HBC good deals, and I will still miss it, despite its obvious decline. There are some good deals on right now as well.

But I was just at the Yorkdale store – which you’d think would be one of the top locations. Yet both escalators going from the main to the second floor were stopped.

Putting in online orders still is bad. They now only offer free shipping with their credit card. But you’d think they could deliver items to any store for free. It doesn’t work that way. Only if it’s in the inventory for that particular store can you pick it up there.

Just a rumour..............cough..........escalators at most stores have been turned off to save money; they're off in most stores.

Last edited:

Back