News   Jul 15, 2024
 272     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 415     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

How to stop dummies from driving on the raised TTC ROWs?

One thing I always see on Fleet when turning left (north) onto Bathurst - the cars in front of me almost always wind up on the lane with the streetcar tracks even though it's clearly marked on the ground that you should be in the right lane coming out from that intersection, to prevent that sort of dangerous merging. Dummies.

Yes, I've observed the same thing. It would appear that many drivers simply want to clear the intersection quickly and don't always pay attention to where they are going.

If you watch the traffic turning off the Gardiner ramp at Spadina, you will see drivers heading toward the tracks and drive onto them going north. They then drive up to Fort York or jump the ROW before then to get back onto the road.

Drivers are in a rush to get to where every they want to go that they don't pay attention to signs or what taking place in front of them. If you add in cell phones and ipods let along texting, it becomes worse.

Then we have a government who spits of drivers that should not be on the road in the first place because they can't test driver under real condition on the road in the first place. It time to start retesting every driver after 5/10 years being on the road and a great number would fail.

Anyway, the intersection is poorly design and that a city issue.

Yes, I've observed the same thing. It would appear that many drivers simply want to clear the intersection quickly and don't always pay attention to where they are going.

measure twice, then slice.

really if one is so stupid, they deserve to be killed.

I think its impossible unless your drunk or high to drive onto a raised ROW.

But it's not raised where it meets the roadway. Years ago I was a passenger in a friend's car and sure enough he made a left turn and accidently drove up onto the ROW near the Rogers Centre. I yelled at him to get the heck off the ROW, and he did so at the next roadway/ROV junction. So, it can be done, especially by drivers new to the area.

So, why not eliminate the ramp at the entrances of the ROV? A fire truck can easily bump up on a curb.

However in a Firetruck your more likely to kill someone in the streetcar.

Also I see you can get onto the ROW, but how do you get hit by the Streetcars coming in from the other direction???

I like the retractable bollards idea but I don't think we'd need to go that far at this particular intersection. Better markings, however, can help. For example, many left turn lanes have dashed lines running through the intersection giving the driver a general indication of what path they should be following. You see this very often in area where there are double barrelled turning lanes, keeping the 2 traffic flows separate. Also I've seen plastic/pvc poles, roughly 4 feet high placed in areas where drivers shouldn't be going. They don't necessarily stop the ignorant drivers from crossing them as they are able to drive over them, attentive drivers however stay away. They could be lined up for a few feet into the intersection.

If she was drunk while driving, however, then I feel that no amount of preventative signage would have stopped her from speeding through the wrong lane of the road at 30 clicks above the speed limit. That day she hit a streetcar, perhaps on another day or at another time she hits a transit shelter or mounts the sidewalk and kills some innocent pedestrians. Who do we blame then?

I do agree that that stretch of fleet should be eliminated, even with the tracks left as is on the north side. You could simply eliminate the northern westbound lanes of fleet and turn it over to an expanded sidewalk for pedestrians.

I do agree that that stretch of fleet should be eliminated, even with the tracks left as is on the north side. You could simply eliminate the northern westbound lanes of fleet and turn it over to an expanded sidewalk for pedestrians.

That might be the best solution. Fleet being out of commission for the last year or so has hardly fucked the area up. I'm not sure it's needed.

No matter what safety or preventive measures you take, somebody is going to figure out a way to defeat them - even if unintentionally. Don't underestimate people.

That said, even if you are unfamiliar with the city and the intersection, and you drive up on the ROW, I don't see how you can hit a streetcar so hard as to get killed unless you are under the influence. Tourists who don't know where they are going may not see signs, but they don't drive full speed into streetcars.

BTW, the "stupid people deserve to die" comments are particularly charming. Why people bother to contribute such comments is beyond me. You earn a certain reputation that diminishes your credibility.

Absolute bull shit. I've done it, as documented above. Someone else mentioned they have to. Watching both CBC and CITY news the day after the accident, they didn't have to wait long, and both caught several people doing it in the middle of the day.

It's an accident waiting to happen.

Street Railway Regulations

You might have noticed that streetcars and subway cars both lack license plates on them. Does that mean that they are both considered to be railways? What class of driver's license does one technically need to drive them, or can one drive them without one?

And if they are considered railways, what are the laws if you drive your automobile on the CNR or CPR railway tracks? Would the same apply on the TTC tracks, whether exposed or covered? And what could you be technically charged with if you collide with a streetcar or street railway car?

Back