News   Jul 15, 2024
 261     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 400     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

How to stop dummies from driving on the raised TTC ROWs?

If someone is too dumb to know what a streetcar ROW is and pay attention to the road, then they deserve to get killed. The less idiots in the world, the better... less risk of pedestrians like me getting run over while they are talking on a cell phone intoxicated.

Also a victory for the environment: less greenhouse gases being spewed into the atmosphere.

That may have been tongue and cheek, but I disagree with the underlying sentiment that nothing needs to be done. It was mentioned that whenever there's construction involving lane closures, the situation becomes even more confusing. With additional traffic and the need to pay attention to construction barriers and possibly pedestrians, a driver might notice the sign too late. It's hardly reasonable that they should pay with their lives. For people coming in from outside the city, which is actually very common in a city of this size, there's the additional burden of a lack of familiarity.

That's a really confusing intersection with an awful lot going on - it's easy to lose your bearings if you're not familiar with it. Just the ROW south of Lake Shore on Bathurst is confusing enough (you access the lower part of Bathurst through an odd angle). I also see a lot of cars turn wide onto Bathurst from Fleet (which is a hazard for those turning right from Lake Shore onto Bathurst northbound)

In all the area could do with a reworking.

I really like the water ROW, but I suppose you'd need a flat path for it (and I'm not sure you could do that for most of Spadina's length). Grass would probably be pricey to upkeep (more expensive in the long run than cobblestones) but it would be a really beautiful option, and very clear to drivers that they don't belong.

Not that Queen Street businesses would ever rise to the idea, but imagine how dope Queen West would be if it were a grassed over pedestrian street with a street car running through the middle.

All Fleet/Lakeshore & Bathurst needs is one big roundabout. That would immediately solve all the problems of this intersection and do away with traffic lights all together.

They really should redo that whole area down by fort york. It's probably the most confusing stretch of road i've ever encountered. I think there could be a possibility to create a beautiful round about just in front of the princes gate. Create a nice big fountain in the middle or reflecting pool and remove fleet street from bathurst to the ex. Turn what used to be fleet street into the westbound lanes for lakeshore and turn lakeshore into only eastbound. Have the ROW go through the middle and loop around underneath the fountain and create a new exhibition loop station. Or just continue it down the north side of the new westbound lanes.

lakeshore.jpg

Could we not just plant grass along all ROWs?

BM_20070326222428159.npf

I think people would know that they are not supposed to be there if there was grass. Plus it would look much nicer and help with our green initiatives.

LOVE IT! But I agree that with our long winters and such, it may not work out too well.

I like the cobblestone idea... the cement just looks so bland... there is so much more that could be done to 'beautify' it!

LOVE IT! But I agree that with our long winters and such, it may not work out too well.

I like the cobblestone idea... the cement just looks so bland... there is so much more that could be done to 'beautify' it!

Why doesn't the TTC experiment with Eco Grass, which is a low maintenance, drought resistant lawn mix on the Queensway right-of-way to see if it would work or not. Failing that, the TTC could try artificial grass, either cheap plastic or the more durable turf used in the Skydome (sorry, Roger Centre).

The easiest solution by far is to simply make the surface unusable by non-rail traffic. You never see cars accidently driving on CN/CPR railway tracks because it's impossible, as all you'd have to drive on is two narrow gauge steel tracks, plus the perpendicular wooden railway ties.

In short, skip the fake grass or cobblestones, and leave the right of ways looking like this...

Attachments

• streetcar-4020-10.jpg
    streetcar-4020-10.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 209
The easiest solution by far is to simply make the surface unusable by non-rail traffic. You never see cars accidently driving on CN/CPR railway tracks because it's impossible, as all you'd have to drive on is two narrow gauge steel tracks, plus the perpendicular wooden railway ties.

In short, skip the fake grass or cobblestones, and leave the right of ways looking like this...

Won't someone please think of the fire trucks!

would there be problems when trying to remove snow in the winter? and then there is also the issue with emergency vehicles.

Won't someone please think of the fire trucks!

the ROW's make great routes for emergency vehicles. i wouldn't waste the ability to have such routes when possible.

I thought the ROW was so that emergency vehicles would not get start behind streetcars. By removing the streetcars to their own track-only area, the fire trucks can use the road.

but there is still the issues of cars/regular traffic.

i think the best solution is to make it clearer, through more highly visible & strategically placed signs, that cars can be there. also, when doing a test to get your license, there should probably be a section on streetcar ROW's.

would there be problems when trying to remove snow in the winter?
Easily fixed, the TTC already had tracked plows in the past, see below. The roads that run along the ROV should be made wide enough for emergency vehicles, if this is not the case, then it should be.

Attachments

• streetcar-4510-10.jpg
    streetcar-4510-10.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 211
Am I the only person here willing to admit I did this accidently once (southbound on Bathurst, turning off Lakeshore heading west while driving to the airport). I'll concede I must have missed the sign - but I just aimed straight for the tracks as I knew that was the first lane, and even though I hang around here, I hadn't realised that there was any streetcar-only lane on Bathurst.

Easily fixed, the TTC already had tracked plows in the past, see below. The roads that run along the ROV should be made wide enough for emergency vehicles, if this is not the case, then it should be.

but what if the roads are clogged with cars? it doesn't matter if they're wide. in an emergency, time is the difference between life and death in many cases. don't get me wrong, i love the way the grass ROW's and bare ballast and track looks but some things are more important than looks. they could always paint the ROW green or use a cement with a green color.

BTW, that work car looks like a british telephone booth with a snowplough. :D

Back