News   Apr 19, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 555     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 929     3 

How many people in Toronto were likely born in Toronto or have many generations of roots here?

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this after reading this about Chicago. http://www.wbez.org/series/curious-city/native-numbers-how-many-chicagoans-were-born-city-109680

The article mentions a common perception that Chicago has many people born in or even having lived generations in the area.

"Tracy Miller noticed something about Chicago when she moved here nine years ago. “I meet many people who say they are native Chicagoans,” she says. “It seems like there are more natives still residing here than in other cities I have lived in.” Miller came here from Austin, Texas. Before that, she’d lived in Dallas and Los Angeles. In all of those cities, she says, “Everybody is from somewhere else.” But Chicago seemed different."

Now, I wonder how Toronto compares. It must be very different considering immigration history but even disregarding immigrants, our city has many who moved from other parts of Canada.

How many people in Toronto can claim to be descended from or have many generations living in the city or its vicinity and how does it compare to other Canadian and possibly US cities? I know you can look at foreign-born stats, but that doesn't tell you stuff like mentioned in the article about Chicago -- how many are born in the city or descend from people with long-standing roots there. Does Canada have these stats?

That data is unavailable. 43% were born in Ontario however. I would guess somewhere between 35 and 40% were born in the city.

Last edited:
How many people born in Toronto are living in other parts of the country ? That's a stat that might surprise too.

I was born in Scarborough. My birth mom is from the Toronto area and my birth dad is/was a Newfie. As for my adoptive parents. my dad was born in Stratford and his family is from Hamilton, while my mom grew up in the Toronto area. So, technically second generation.

Last edited:
One of my great great grandfathers came to Toronto in 1851 and lived in the city. I've been told he's buried in the Necropolis at Sumach and Winchester but I've never been able to find documentation to verify that. His son moved out of the city to rural southwestern Ontario. I moved back into the city in 1986.

Third generation Torontonian.

I wonder what percentage of Torontonians can claim that all of their great-grandparents were born in Ontario. Probably 5% or less.

I myself am also the second generation in my family to live in Toronto (though I'm not living here now), as my mom first moved to Toronto when she was younger.

I wonder how Toronto compares to many cities in North America in this regard. I would imagine that while we are a newer city than many eastern US cities or midwestern ones (like Chicago, Cleveland etc.), we still have more multigenerational Torontonians or at least those from Ontario than many cities farther west with more recent growth (like Calgary and other Albertan cities, or cities in Texas, California, maybe).

In terms of being locally born: lower than the older eastern US cities like New York and Chicago or any Quebec/Atlantic Canada city, probably higher than the Washington DC area, most Sunbelt cities and Vancouver and Calgary in Canada.

Born in province of residence:

Ottawa CMA (Ont. part) 76.1%
Montreal CMA 72.7%
Hamilton CMA 68.1%
Winnipeg CMA 66%
Edmonton CMA 54.9%
Toronto CMA 46.7%
Calgary CMA 44%
Vancouver CMA 41.9%

Born in province of residence:

Ottawa CMA (Ont. part) 76.1%
Montreal CMA 72.7%
Hamilton CMA 68.1%
Winnipeg CMA 66%
Edmonton CMA 54.9%
Toronto CMA 46.7%
Calgary CMA 44%
Vancouver CMA 41.9%

That's interesting data -- I was thinking of comparisons with this map, though it's states and not cities, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/upshot/mapping-migration-in-the-united-states-since-1900.html
For all the talk about being in a province with a high proportion of transients or migrants from "the east", it's surprising that Calgary barely differs much from Toronto (and Edmonton has more locally born!). While I can see somewhat of the North America-wide west being more "new", east being more "old" pattern overall, it's nowhere near as drastic as people make it out to be nowadays as opposed to perhaps times last century, or even closer to the frontier times (eg. comments like "no one in California/Texas/Alberta is from around here -- they all came from out east etc." you often hear seem like an exaggeration I suppose).

Back