News   Apr 18, 2024
 283     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

How long until next subway train: Tokyo Simple Solution

The only time they'd be useful is for the last train of the night.

At which point the only arrival time that matters is "before I pass out."

"Their systems have far higher ridership and are far more comfortable than ours."

Because of 'next train' countdowns, eh?

Probably not, but I would say that theirs is certainly a model worth emulating in all its aspects.

Because of 'next train' countdowns, eh?

...as well as investing in comfortable trains, electrification, coordination between agencies and cooperation among nations and regions, electrification, higher frequencies, research and innovation in operation and design, grade seperations, nice stations, and any other number of reasons big and small. They actually treat public transit as a complex system and understand it is everything from huge investment down to simple things like 'next train' countdowns in combination that makes a transit system work. North America often tries to simplify the problem and propose 'one stop' solutions to everything.

Japanese subway trains are definitely more comfortable, if you get to sit down. While North Americans are worried about vandalism and theft, reflected in their train designs, the Japanese get to sit in comfy, padded seats, with overhead racks to put their stuff on.

Serenity.JPG

"You're right. Their systems have far higher ridership and are far more comfortable than ours. Just about every significant transit innovation has come from Europe."

I was laughing when I read that, after having taking the tube home in an hour of 40?c temperature!

I wouldn't lean on London as a counterexample for all of Europe.

Back