Votes: 37 25.2%
  • Between 45 minutes and 1 hour

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Between 1 to 1½ hours

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Over 1½ hours

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
Did you leave Riverdale for Barbados? If so, I'd say any commute of your's would be much more enjoyable than any of our's!

Yes, we're in Barbados at the moment. Very much a 50s car culture (300 year old downtown redesigned in 70s(?) to one way roads that make no sense, but cars can go faster!) and three tier bus system.

I drive to work, dropping off daughter(s) depending on the day, one way 10-15mn, 5mn home for lunch. Then my wife drives me back and I walk home, 20mn at the end of the day. Complicated, but I can't walk to work as I'm a sweaty mess after 20mn under the sun. Makes for a good excuse for an end of day swim each night!

Barbados is a lovely island with really nice people. Highly recommended, for work or vacation.

45 minute walk? That's some pretty good exercise right there. On the other hand, I could definitely get used to a 20 minute daily walk.

Every Friday evening I used to walk an hour one way from my house to a salsa dance studio across from Mel Lastman square, to avoid spending a TTC token. Now that the weather is a lot better, I do the same trip with a bicycle in about 15 min.

1h25min to 1h35min, mostly on GO train.

Hamilton near Gage Park, to downtown Toronto. Drive the synchronized traffic lights of Main-King without a red light (6min front door to 403), then Aldershot GO (6min from 403 onramp to GO parking space, south parking lot), 1min walk to GOtrain a few min before depart, between 55min and 1h10min (Express trains if possible) and my downown tower is nearly right next to Union (a few mins). The Warerdown Rd construction is frequently slowing down my commute at the moment.

I would take downtown Hamilton trains if there was all day two way service at Hunter, as I often work late. Also very interested in Hamilton LRT which would pass near downtown GO, so my spouse can keep car, if I LRT to the downtown Hamilton GO station.

I traded a 10min walk commmute and 30min streetcar commute, for finally having a retirement fund I could afford (a.k.a. beautiful 4 bed house 2500sqft with backyard swimming pool with mortgage less than a 700sqft downtown Toroonto condo and less than typical 2 bedroom apartment rent!). First and last house I intend to own. Will someday eventually work local.

Midtowner here, 25-30 minutes to reach Dundas Station.

I walk to the bus stop in front of my home on Eglinton and wait no more than 30 seconds for a bus - because thats just how frequent buses on Eglinton are - followed by a 5 minute bus ride to Eglinton station.

Then it takes another 20 or so minutes to reach Dundas station, give or take 5 in case of delays on the subway, Eglinton construction delaying buses, or excessive bus bunching and unlucky timing.

I am skeptical if whether the Crosstown will actually decrease my commute times seeing as I will be waiting a few minutes for a train at Bayview rather than the ultra-frequent buses. But I won't mind that at all since I will be in an ultra-modern and nowhere near cramped subway car on Eglinton! :)

Last edited:
Not a GTA dweller here. I'm in Kitchener, and work in Waterloo.
Using transit, it varies between 35 and 45 minutes door-to-door, which is entirely a function of how long I have to wait for the bus. When they drop the iXpress to 15 minute frequencies (from 10) in the summer, my commute time goes up.

If I were to drive, it would be about 20 minutes

total commute is about 25 minutes... 20 minutes walking, 5 minutes queueing for elevators at home and at work. I'm about 2.9KM from work, yes I walk really fast.

during school it was a 2 minute walk essentially to just cross the street.

Over the summer, while I'm working, its 40 minutes in the morning and 50-60 in the evening carpooling on the 407 with 3 other guys, about 60km each way, roughly 35 of which is on the 407. Best part is that because there are 4 employees in 1 car the boss decided to be generous and give us a 407 transponder for commuting, previously the commute was around an 70 minutes on backroads. The construction of the 407 extension is adding a good 10 minutes on the evening commute right now though, typically its a pretty reliable 40 minute trip both ways.

I'm thinking of moving further west for school next year though, which means I'll probably be looking at a 15 minute bike ride / 20-30 minute streetcar to school.

Last edited:
45 mins in morning from Cabbagetown, including dropping off kids at school in Beach(es) then up to Danforth/McCowan to office at Hwy 7 and Markham Rd. Before I was taking the kids to school it was straight up dvp and at the office in about 30 mins, provided leaving house at 7am.

I'm in Hamilton and my commute is about 45 minutes. 15 minute walk from the Locke Street area to the Hamilton GO Centre and a half hour HSR bus to the outer reaches of Hamilton suburbia on the mountain. Typically the HSR is pretty shoddy outside of the lower city but the bus I takes goes by Mohawk College and along Upper James Street - sort of the "spine" of the more suburban mountain - so service is quite regular.

I love the Hammer but boy my old Toronto commute was awesome. I'd bike from Shaw and Dupont via the Shaw bike lanes and Trinity-Bellwoods and get to Richmond and Tecumseh in 12 minutes.

Last edited:
Bloor-Yonge to Finch:

Subway - 30 minutes
Biking - 40 minutes

Lately I've been biking since I like the exercise in the morning and it's free.

Do you bike straight up Yonge St? How challenging is your ride navigating around the vehicles during the morning rush hour?

By bike, 30 minutes.*
Walking + bus: +-45 minutes

*Includes getting it out of storage and locking it up. Actual ride time is about 20 minutes to (uphill) and 15 minutes back.

Would you ever consider getting a folding bike and bring it with you? That could save you a good 10 minutes and give you the flexibility to bike + bus too.

Back