News   Jul 24, 2024
 78     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 582     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 635     1 

How come sheppard was chosen instead of Finch east for the subway?

Added something on another post: complete the EAs and studies for DRL while Eglinton's being built; no wasted time.

Just because Ford is an idiot doesn't mean we shouldn't look at Chong's suggestions and use them to finish the Sheppard subway.
I actually agree with you. If Ford was to come out and say let's put a tax on parking spots, and a small gas tax - or perhaps a toll; something that's going to earn about $1-billion a year ... then sure, let's use it to build the Sheppard subway.

But no one has actually put that on the table.

It would be a great precedent to pay for transit projects; and the revenue could be used in the future to pay for other projects, such as the DRL. Or heck ... for 3-4 years you could build a $1-billion LRT line a year.

I actually agree with you. If Ford was to come out and say let's put a tax on parking spots, and a small gas tax - or perhaps a toll; something that's going to earn about $1-billion a year ... then sure, let's use it to build the Sheppard subway.

But no one has actually put that on the table.

It would be a great precedent to pay for transit projects; and the revenue could be used in the future to pay for other projects, such as the DRL. Or heck ... for 3-4 years you could build a $1-billion LRT line a year.

I'm absolutely for coming up with more funding sources, preferably a large number of them so each of them individually doesn't hurt too much.

Stable funding for transit expansion would do wonders. Then we could come up with a plan, and not assume there's limited $ for transit.

We could build the DRL, the Sheppard Subway, the Finch LRT, the Eglinton line, WWLRT, a Queensway LRT, Hurontario LRT, Lakeshore LRT, Dundas LRT or subway, Eglinton Airport line.

They might not happen all in one shot, but there'd always be something under way.

Instead of feeling like we're always falling behind, we'd be slowly catching up.

Stable funding for transit expansion would do wonders. Then we could come up with a plan, and not assume there's limited $ for transit.
The lack of stable funding is what really started the Transit City or not debate. "Transit City" would probably be all HRT lines if the TTC has $1 billion to spend every year.

lol except the Eglinton people would have a conniption if rapid transit on Eglinton were cancelled again, and the SRT has to be replaced.

But I'd STILL rather take these $8 billion and use it to build the DRL instead.

In all honesty there should be a Facebook group to cancel Transit City and use the funds to build the DRL instead.

Back