746     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 316     0 

HELP! Let's go to the EX!

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey Kids!

Some of you may know I sit on the Board of the CNE and I need your help to help improve things! If you can take a moment to answer these questions by Thurday, July 12, that would be fantastic. Post them here or e-mail me at futuremayor@hotmail.com

1. Describe the CNE in three words?

2. If you were to visit the CNE this year what attractions would you come to see?

3. What are your (3) three ideas to promote the CNE?

If you respond back to this survey, I'll make sure to get you in for free this year!

Let's go to the EX!

Louroz

1. Over priced, overly commercial, overhyped.
2. None of them.
3. Exhibit something - best cows, best quilts, best zinnias. Who would want to spend money to get into what is essentially a flea market with a midway?

Hey Kids!

Last Festival of Summer (I guess that's 4...)

2. If you were to visit the CNE this year what attractions would you come to see?

Airshow, Midway, FC game (I think they have one during the CNE), The petting zoo (if they still have it)

Better rides, More mainstream music acts, Reasonably valued food options.

I think that many people go to the CNE because that's what they did the year before, and the year before and the year before. I broke the cycle 9 years ago and haven't been back. This year I'm going with somebody who goes every year, hopefully it will impress.

The CNE has become a habit, when it should become a destination.

1. fun, a little expensive, Toronto
2. Well I'm not sure, I think the CNE needs more attractions. It would be nice to have a concert going on with some big name stars! Nelly Furtado? Akon? Rihanna? T.I? Chris Brown? Keisha Chante? You know, big name stars that will attracts people.
3. a)When promoting the CNE add other events that are going on in Toronto like the Film Festival
b) If you add prestegious events like the Film Festival then instead of promoting the Event to the locals you can promote the event in the US and around the world!
c) Really make the CNE exciting by adding Fire Crackers, concerts etc.

1) Out of date
2) The only thing I enjoy is the air show. The flea market, crappy rides and lame exhibits aren’t a big draw.
3) Bring it up to the times. Promote new technologies (other than the hydrogen powered lawnmower a few years back). This could be housed in a new pavilion. Bring in better entertainment and get rid of that lame human cannonball act.

While I have little reason to go to the CNE anymore, it's still Toronto. It has become crass, uninteresting and tired, especially to a younger, childless adult like myself.

The CNE really should be Summer's Big Finale. But it isn't. (There, Question 1 answered)

If I was to go to the CNE this year (haven't decided if I am, it depends) I'd go to check-out the vendors' mock-ups of the LRVs (I heard this was rumoured, so far, we had half a Bombardier at Dundas Square), the airshow, a concert (if someone I was interested in seeing was playing).

Finally, I'll rant a bit, but I'll explain why the CNE isn't what it used to be to me.

Exhibit 1 is the Food Building. It used to be about the free samples, that'd amount to lunch. It was a promotional thing for sure, but at least it was more than an overpriced food court.

Exhibit 2: The Midway. The midway is supposed to be a bit cheesy with the carny games and that, but it's the same every year with the lousy portable rides. I miss the Flyer, the gondolas. Maybe it would be useful to even bring back a replica of the Flyer just to invoke nostalgia - which is one of the biggest selling points (and why some say they go out of habit).

Third point: Finally, while the CNE has always been a consumer show joined with a midway and entertainment, there should be more empthasis on innovation (like the old days) and less on selling junk.

Other ideas - Caravan was cancelled a few years ago. Why not revive some sort of Caravan within the CNE? Centralize it, and empthasize food (with a mix of meals and some freebies) and specialty goods for sale (at reasonable prices) along with the typical entertainment. Now this can also be cheesy, but look at what draws crowds: Taste of the Danforth (and its knock-offs), Kensington Market pedestrian days, etc. Emulate what works in the city itself a bit.

It would take a few years to turn it around, but there's still hope.

1. Tacky, sweaty, vacuous.

2. None, unless it has dramatically improved since about 1988 - which was roughly the last time I went.

3. Make it part of Nuit Blanche or Luminato or something big and splashy that actually works. Or introduce elements of danger - like the running of the bulls, or an air show with acrobatics by pilots who've never flown before, or a huge rollercoaster with sections missing - where there's a likelihood that large numbers of people will die horrible and gruesome deaths and make us famous all over the world. A recreation of the Mississauga Derailment with toxic sludge maybe.

tacky (but good tacky). old (but in a timeless sort of way). fun (not like ha-ha fun, more like hanging out fun).

i don't play many, but i like the games.

i think i just like walking around. i know it's a bit expensive to just "walk around", but there's a nice atmosphere.

oh yah. i also like the food and the crafts.

more "green" stuff?

more focused promotion? not sure why, but many people i know think that the cne is simply wonderland-lite. actually, i think it's a pretty good date place. maybe spin it like that? i dunno.

in general, i think exhibition place should have stronger links with ontario place.

I have to agree with the negative comments. The food building is an ugly food court (and no cheaper), I am not quite sure why they charge admission (the whole fair seems to be about selling junk, whether its food, stuff or midway rides) and unless you are 14 years old, there is nothing to do that you cannot do for free or less expensively elsewhere. Its just embarrassing...and I want to love it but it gives me no reason to.

The thing should be free to walk around, like a ribfest or City Hall Art Exhibition, or Centreville or any number of free events/places in the city. Let the rent from the tacky vendors and midway pay for the sucker.

1. Tacky, sweaty, vacuous.

2. None, unless it has dramatically improved since about 1988 - which was roughly the last time I went.

3. Make it part of Nuit Blanche or Luminato or something big and splashy that actually works. Or introduce elements of danger - like the running of the bulls, or an air show with acrobatics by pilots who've never flown before, or a huge rollercoaster with sections missing - where there's a likelihood that large numbers of people will die horrible and gruesome deaths and make us famous all over the world. A recreation of the Mississauga Derailment with toxic sludge maybe.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! I laughing so hard I am crying! I love how your mind works.

"What are your (3) three ideas to promote the CNE?"

Make it better, make it different, make it free.

Do these three things and the promotion will take care of itself.

I liked the dog and horsie shows but that's all I found appealing really. i agrre about the food comments as well, I found it pretty much your standard fare from a big mall. Did the Ex use to be better in the past?

The Food Building in the old days (70's maybe into the 80's) was amazing. Food was really cheap and there were lots of promotions and discounts. Coke, for example, used to do large cups of pop for a nickel. There used to be major lines to get in. Now its no different than than a mall food court. Big change.

Back