News   Jul 18, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 392     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 787     0 

Heintzman Place (Options for Homes) - Real Estate -

I found a facebook group for this development--was that founded by one of you kids that is hyped about this project?

I personally hate the location and development so I won't ruin your party;)

By the looks of most of the threads you comment on, you feel this way about just about every condo in Toronto, no?

Facebook group for future residents: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7443844255

Yes, Dreamer apparently would rather be homeless than live in a condo, so take anything he says and weigh it against that claim.

If you look very closely, you can see the future site of the VBHP in this undated (probably early 1900s) photo I found on the www.wtjhs.ca website. Looks like the site was a large warehouse or something over a hundred years ago. In the right corner you can also see where early 20th century poor West Torontonians were ripped off at the old fashioned Money Mart.

junction.jpg

In this one from around the same time, you can see where Heintzman St meets Dundas. Too bad that glass store closed:

heintzman.jpg

i was wondering, i know the heintzman piano factory was somewhere in that area. it wouldnt be anywhere around the location that later became canadian tire would it?

i was wondering, i know the heintzman piano factory was somewhere in that area. it wouldnt be anywhere around the location that later became canadian tire would it?

It was at that very location, see the Junction thread for another photo.

There was also a proper bank that preceded the Money Mart. Toronto Dominion preceded it, and therefore it could have been originally a Bank of Toronto or Dominion Bank.

shoutout to junctionist for mentioning the toronto archives website...just checked it out for some cool pics, go to http://www.toronto.ca/archives/photographs/index.htm and click on "items that have been scanned" and search for "keele dundas". there's a few pics of setting up the rails and cobble stone at keele and d. this pic rocks! and u can see the heintzman piano factory in the background. maybe in 2012 i'l take a 100 year anniversary pic! :D

kdct4.jpg

So sad knowing that those lovely tracks were eliminated ages ago to make way for the almighty car. Hopefully they'll be restored on Dundas to connect with the planned St. Clair extension and Jane LRT. It'd be nice to have them on Keele again as well, but it ain't gonna happen. What was the route of the Keele streetcar anyway?

is there a meeting tommorow? website states:

Demolition has begun!
The Toronto Star named the Junction community one of Toronto’s “top up-and-coming neighbourhoodsâ€. We agree. That’s why Deltera, a member of the Tridel group of companies, will be beginning construction at our Keele Street and Dundas Street West location in late March 2008.

damn it, i wanted to witness the demolition!

Yeah, didn't they say they would invite us?

I think it's just interior demo that's started now, so maybe they'll invite us for the wrecking ball or something...

Hopefully we'll get some answers at tomorrow's meeting.

I found some city document saying there are 150 units in the building being offered to people on the social housing waiting list.

I thought I knew what the concept was so I didn't think much of it, but in the spring newsletter it mentions something about additional assistance beyond the 2nd mortgage - what's up with that (?)

Don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but 150 units seems like a fairly high ratio of social housing, particularly in this area which is already slightly down and out and just starting to come up.

I haven't heard anything else about this, so It's just speculation.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 278
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 260
I found some city document saying there are 150 units in the building being offered to people on the social housing waiting list.

I thought I knew what the concept was so I didn't think much of it, but in the spring newsletter it mentions something about additional assistance beyond the 2nd mortgage - what's up with that (?)

Don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but 150 units seems like a fairly high ratio of social housing, particularly in this area which is already slightly down and out and just starting to come up.

I haven't heard anything else about this, so It's just speculation.

That does seem very large. I'm not sure if this has already taken place or what, but somebody should ask about it at the board meeting next week.

I don't know how many units are reserved for people needing additional help, but it isn't social housing. Everyone automatically gets the second mortgage, regardless of income (you can pay it off at closing if you wish). Purchasers whose income falls below a threshold qualify for additional help, which works exactly the same way as the second mortgage -- it's a loan that must be repaid (with interest based on the appreciation in market value) when the unit is sold.

The point is to make home ownership accessible to people of modest means and end their dependence on social housing.

I don't know how many units are reserved for people needing additional help, but it isn't social housing. Everyone automatically gets the second mortgage, regardless of income (you can pay it off at closing if you wish). Purchasers whose income falls below a threshold qualify for additional help, which works exactly the same way as the second mortgage -- it's a loan that must be repaid (with interest based on the appreciation in market value) when the unit is sold.

The point is to make home ownership accessible to people of modest means and end their dependence on social housing.

This is the first I'm hearing about it.

There was no mention of this in any of the literature or at any of the meetings so frankly it it makes me a bit uneasy. It could just be nothing.

I guess the issue is, are these 'purchasers' in the conventional sense - they came to the meetings and went through the process in the same way everyone else did, or is 25% of this development really designed to get people off the public housing waiting list - with government (or other purchasers) subsidizing the bulk of the cost.

I know Options is all about helping people out and you can't knock them for that, but I think it wouldn't be right if there was a whole aspect of their plan that was not disclosed to prospective buyers clearly, right from the start.

I don't know about you guys but this is a major investment for me and I would expect that I have been fully informed.

This is the first I'm hearing about it.

There was no mention of this in any of the literature or at any of the meetings so frankly it it makes me a bit uneasy. It could just be nothing.

I guess the issue is, are these 'purchasers' in the conventional sense - they came to the meetings and went through the process in the same way everyone else did, or is 25% of this development really designed to get people off the public housing waiting list - with government (or other purchasers) subsidizing the bulk of the cost.

I know Options is all about helping people out and you can't knock them for that, but I think it wouldn't be right if there was a whole aspect of their plan that was not disclosed to prospective buyers clearly, right from the start.

I don't know about you guys but this is a major investment for me and I would expect that I have been fully informed.

They tell you EVERYTHING once you make an appointment :) Make one soon, phase 2 is selling fast :)

Back